909 replies to this topic

#1 Hugo Holbling

Hugo Holbling

Corruptio optimi pessima

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:07 PM

Welcome to The Galilean Library. Take a moment to tell us a little about yourself (and how you got here).
"In everything that he'd ever thought about the world and about his life in it he'd been wrong." - Cities of the Plain

#2 Scotty

Scotty

Galilean

• Moderators
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:59 AM

Hi, I'm Scott.

That enough?

-Scott

#3 davidm

davidm

Galilean

• Members
  • 9,364 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:16 AM

I'm davidm. I'm The President at the Ebla Forum. Here, I thought I'd hide my true identity as the leader of the war on the evil Dewar's, to avoid the preemptive scorn of others. But, now that I've revealed that identity, my plan has backfired, hasn't it?

:roll:

#4 Godot

Godot

Jaded Idealist

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:41 AM

I appear as Godot just about everywhere I go. My real name is pretty easy to find as well, so long as you know where to look. ;)

I like candlelight dinners, walks in the park, soft music....

But seriously, I'm a born and raised Calgarian. I spent the years 2002 and 2003 (and the first few months of 2004) living in Australia working on a masters degree in human nutrition. With some degree of sadness, I'm back in the frigid wasteland of the Great White North. Like most folk, I'm not currently working in my desired field, but I hope to gain employment teaching at a university in the upcoming academic year. As for anything else, I'm sure it will come out in the forums somewhere.

#5 TheOctarineMage

TheOctarineMage

TGL Student

• Validating
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 07:11 PM

Hi, I'm Louis, also known as The Octarine Mage. Thanks for inviting me, Paul. (Wow, is everybody here an Admin? :p)

I was born in the Philippines of mixed parentage and came to the U.S. when I was 17. I was in Europe for 3 years in the military. My favorite humans of the past were Lao Tsu and Leonardo da Vinci. Because of them, I am currently trapped in a Taoist dilemma. :)

#6 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2004 - 09:31 PM

Hello,

my name is Jeff, also known as Olmy. I had only recently stumbled on to Ebla and now the Academy. It's a pleasure to meet you all. Although I currently wear an IT career hat in Boston, I was once an enthusiast of the liberal arts in a Texas university -- in particular: history, political science, philosophy and english. I actually came across these forums while trying to find some outlet for these passions in my spare time.

I have spent way too much time tinkering with network equipment, operating systems, and computers. I laugh at almost any joke that involves monkeys, I do not lightly turn down a guinness.

#7 davidm

davidm

Galilean

• Members
  • 9,364 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:52 AM

Welcome Olmy and TheOctarineMage!  :o

#8 mosaic

mosaic

Galilean

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:36 PM

I'm mosaic here Ebla, hyperboreans, and infidels. I'm a Jamaican and no,  I've never met the Jamaican bobsled team. Damn Cool Runnings :evil:  I've lived in Alaska for the past 8 years (since I was 14, 21 now) an avid reader of philosophy and a Broadcast Journalist, more a writer and producer than onscreen personality).

I love what Hugo is trying to do and thats what led me to Ebla and  here.

Welcome to everybody else and hey, it never hurts to take a look at the Media board. Anything interesting you see is always open for discussion.

#9 Hugo Holbling

Hugo Holbling

Corruptio optimi pessima

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:53 PM

Welcome to everyone who has made it here so far and thanks to those who have helped me set up and develop things. (Just wait until you see what David and Scotty have been working on...) I'm using the blog to make the site more widely known but please feel free to invite people you think would be interested in what we're trying to achieve here.
"In everything that he'd ever thought about the world and about his life in it he'd been wrong." - Cities of the Plain

#10 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:22 PM

Hi, I'm Matt.  I stumbled across this site while searching for introductory texts on philosophy.  My past is littered with abortive attempts to study philosophy and religion, mostly due to lack of any structure or stimulation.  I won't contribute much and probably will post little at first, except to perhaps ask clarifying questions.

I was impressed by the Statutes: in too many forums, debate degenerates quickly into insult and defensiveness, leaving little room for honest discussion.

The intro to philosophy essays have been very helpful so far.  I'm plowing through them and plan to check out most of your recommended reading.

#11 Hugo Holbling

Hugo Holbling

Corruptio optimi pessima

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:50 PM

Welcome, Matt. I'm glad you like the Statutes; they're in place to hopefully bring about an atmosphere where you'll feel free to ask questions of people here and not have to worry about being mocked or belittled. We all start somewhere and i'm sure there are areas you could teach the rest of us about. If you know a good way to dodge huge Fijians when they come to hurt me as soon as i catch a rugby ball, for instance, please let me know...

#12 Godot

Godot

Jaded Idealist

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:03 PM

Hugo Holbling said:

If you know a good way to dodge huge Fijians when they come to hurt me as soon as i catch a rugby ball, for instance, please let me know...
I suggest stepping to the side as they try to run you down. Or offload the ball sooner. ;)

#13 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:19 AM

Hugo,

Sorry that I won't be much help with rugby.  Like most Americans, I know nothing about any sport other than "our" sports.  My knowledge of rugby is limited to the fact that you guys don't wear anywhere close to enough protective gear, and I wouldn't play the game if my life depended on it!  

If you want, though you could follow the lead of Randall Pinkston of our American rules football, who has been criticized recently for practically running from the ball when it comes his way.  That's a good way to avoid contact.  If you don't have the ball and are far away from the action, you'll be  left alone mostly.     :D

Seriously, though, thanks for the kind words.  I'm sure I'll ask quite a few odd questions, as I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the more I learn about philosophy and/or religion, the less I know.

#14 Da Fire

Da Fire

lowly monk

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:55 AM

Hello to all those with brains to read.  I am a newly published author.  I write about esoteric spirituality and philosophy.  I Love to debate and dialogue.  I can handle a few drinks of a nice scotch, single malt or even some blue label "johnny walker". Right now I really cannot aford to drink the good stuff, so whiskey and cognac are the cheap substitutes.  If it has to do with the kundalini or the chakras and cosmic journeys into God's Divine Brightness I provide a fine source of inquiry.  I try to post a new commentary every week over on my website, even some times a few more than one a week.  I have one book and I am also now working on the second volume.  Check out my profile for a link.  Hope to share and learn much with everyone here; Peace and may God's Love shine in each one.     8)
"Once the quote ends the interpretation begins." My main website: http://www.HeartRealization.com God Only Is.

#15 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:55 PM

Hi.  I'm Kalkin here, Ebla, and Infidels ( and a few defunt Warcraft 3 boards).

I'm not sure what to put...

The name comes from a book by Roger Zelazny, The Lord of Light, and before that from Hindu mythology, where Kalkin is some mythical figure who sounds to me vaguely like a horseman of the apocalypse.

#16 Hugo Holbling

Hugo Holbling

Corruptio optimi pessima

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:45 AM

Note that our newest user, Galileo, has returned from the grave to help us test some modifications. He will not be joining in otherwise and hence is not a sock puppet.

Welcome to our recent members. Please feel free to offer any suggestions or comments on what we have implemented thus far.

#17 Rembrandt

Rembrandt

TGL Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:09 AM

That's unfortunate for my contemporary, Galileo, because the discussions seem worthwhile.  I'm primarily interested in art and literature, but find philosophy intriguing as well.  I really enjoyed Hugo's introduction to aesthetics in particular, and the grove is neat too.  Nice to meet you all!

#18 mosaic

mosaic

Galilean

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:38 PM

Welcome Rembrant!  What kind of Art and literature are you interested in?

#19 Rembrandt

Rembrandt

TGL Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:08 PM

Italian Renaissance is my favorite art period but i enjoy all sorts.  Shakespeare, Romantic poetry and literature, and Russian novels are the kind of literature that i have read the most.

#20 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:23 PM

Hi everybody, my name is Mace.

I was shown these forums at IIDB. Yet, I never registered onto them. It was only when I created my own forums concerning Philosophy and Literature that I decided to join this board and website. A friend of Hugo's known as The Heretic joined my forums and was the one that asked Hugo if I could add some of his content to my site. It was then that I finally looked into everything here more deeply and decided to join and get to know you all.

I'm a fairly new philosopher, however I love to learn. Therefore I have joined these forums.

One of my biggest articles of interest is Metaphysics and the cosmology half of it. However, onthology has also proved entertainingly educational.

I hope to further know all of you and make my stay at The Academy a rich and rewarding experience.

-Mace

#21 Hugo Holbling

Hugo Holbling

Corruptio optimi pessima

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:41 AM

Welcome to The Academy, Mace. I hope the essays are helpful to your members and that you find something of value here.

#22 Da Fire

Da Fire

lowly monk

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:14 AM

Welcome Mace!

I love metaphysics also, and hope that you will pull some interesting questions from that brain of yours!  Hope you enjoy your time here, and hope we can get into some nice dialogue.  

regards, Jared.
"Once the quote ends the interpretation begins." My main website: http://www.HeartRealization.com God Only Is.

#23 Philosophy

Philosophy

Salviatian

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:06 AM

Hi everyone. I'm a student in year 10 at a high secondary school in Falls Church City, Virginia, in the pre-International Baccalaureate section of my school. Since I'm not very good at introducing myself, I'll request that if anyone is curious about me, just ask questions here and I'll answer them all.

It is a very nice website here and I'm in love with it. This is indeed an enchanting library. I'll stick with this website as long as it continues to exist.

Warm regards to all.

#24 Hugo Holbling

Hugo Holbling

Corruptio optimi pessima

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:13 AM

Welcome to The Academy and the site as a whole. What does "year 10" mean for those of us not in the US?

#25 Philosophy

Philosophy

Salviatian

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:49 PM

Hugo Holbling said:

Welcome to The Academy and the site as a whole. What does "year 10" mean for those of us not in the US?

My school is supposed to be a 4-year high secondary school. However, it will be a junior high secondary school (which will be 5-year secondary school) and the ranking of years will be a little bit different. As of now, the ranking is as following:
Year 9 = 9th grade, title: freshman
Year 10 = 10th grade, title: sophomore
Year 11 = 11th grade, title: junior
Year 12 = 12th grade, title: senior

In year 9, freshmen are divided into two groups: advanced and regular. Advanced kids are more studious, diligent, and motivated than regular kids. In year 10, sophomore are divided also divided into two groups: pre-IB/advanced and college preparatory. Pre-IB kids are waiting to sign up for the whole IB Programme, or just want to take few IB courses. In year 11, juniors are divided into three groups: IB anticipated candidates, IB participants, and college preparatory/advanced diploma candidates. In year 12, seniors prepare for their diplomas and they are either "elite" or "non-elite". "Elite" is based on GPA, say, for example, your GPA at the beginning of year 12 is 4.0 or above, you're ranked "elite" and might be given the title "Valedictory Scholar" (valedictory scholars are those who attain 4.0 or above throughout 4 years of high school) if you continue to keep your 4.0 GPA. If you are both valedictory scholar and IB diploma holder, then you will be glorified, of course, by the school and the IB-coordinator. This system is quite complicated.

I don't know for sure if there are these distinctions at secondary schools in Europe. But I bet there must be some sorts of rewards for good students.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you will ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users