909 replies to this topic

#876 Big Blooming Blighter

Big Blooming Blighter

Galilean

• Members
  • 1,989 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

Why the "banned" then? Well, you might want to ask me that if you'd like to know

We don't.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

#877 Inzababa

Inzababa

TGL Student

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

View PostBig Blooming Blighter, on 06 February 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

Why the "banned" then? Well, you might want to ask me that if you'd like to know

We don't.

sweet
Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

#878 davidm

davidm

Galilean

• Members
  • 9,492 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Ok, why the "banned" then? :scratch:

Oh, and also :welcome: to you and Schaps.
"History, which is a simple whore, has no decisive moments but is a proliferation of instants, brief interludes that vie with one another in monstrousness."

-- Benno von Archimboldi :twisted:

#879 Inzababa

Inzababa

TGL Student

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

View Postdavidm, on 06 February 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

Ok, why the "banned" then? :scratch:

Oh, and also :welcome: to you and Schaps.

TED : I started a discussion which turned confrontational with someone who posted a question and got me banned.

Sceptics : (JREF) got warned for using the word "fack" (fuck gets censored automatically) so decided to report all posts in the thread I started that broke the rules (trolls etc).

It was a long thread, moderator asked me to stop abusing the system, I replied all the posts I was reporting were justifiably reported (and finished off reporting the posts in the thread) she replied nope, not one, and banned.

Oh, and thanks :)  :pumpkinwave:
Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

#880 Ellie

Ellie

Neophyte

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

My name is Ellie. glad to meet you.

#881 DaveT

DaveT

Galilean

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

:welcome: Ellie.
Hola. Mi nombre es Iñigo Montoya. Usted mató a mi padre, prepárate a morir.

#882 Michael S. Pearl

Michael S. Pearl

Galilean

• Administrators
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationFolsom, Louisiana

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostEllie, on 21 March 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

My name is Ellie. glad to meet you.
Hello, Ellie. Do you know our very own davidm?
Love, by its very nature, is unworldly, and it is for this reason rather than its rarity that it is not only apolitical but anti-political, perhaps the most powerful of all anti-political human forces. -Hannah Arendt

#883 sniper2811

sniper2811

Neophyte

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:05 AM

Hello, I'm Dan from the Chicago area, Illinois, U.S. When I was 35 years old, my wife and I had our first (and thus far only) child. In the months leading up to her birth I began contemplating my role as her father. I realized that I was setting a terrible example for her by not living a life that was even remotely my own. I had a "good" job that I hated in a field that is antithetical to my beliefs and I had no idea who I was or what I was doing beyond simply existing. I became aware of one of the more obvious but difficult to grasp truisms; life is short. Once I realized that I didn't want to be someone who just fell into situations I started trying to reconnect with my inner self. Flash forward five years and I have more questions than answers. Despite that, I feel so much better about who I am, how I live my life, and the manner in which I (with my wife) an raising my daughter. I've joined the quest for the "holy grail," be that truth, knowledge, enlightenment, or whatever you'd name it. More precisely, I love thinking and learning. I came to TGL via a google search for philosophy reading lists; I know bits and pieces of various ideas, but I want a more formal foundation from which I can build my thoughts.

Well that's why I'm here and how I got here. Thanks for having me - I look forward to learning with the TGL community!

Cheers,
Dan

#884 sniper2811

sniper2811

Neophyte

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:16 AM

Oh, fwiw, my nickname is just a play on my last name and not an indication of any ability or desire to fire weapons accurately from long distances. Nor does it describe my hockey skill, although I wish it did. It's just something that's been with me forever and has become my default alias.

#885 muraii

muraii

Castellian

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Welcome aboard, sniper2811. The place has great resources, like the dialogues, which aim to introduce a variety of philosophical language and concepts. I should review them again myself. Arguably the greatest success of TGL is the typical commitment to fully developed, logical arguments. You can get a taste of this in one of davidm's and Timothy's debates on the nature of free will.

Cheers,

Daniel

#886 veryveryvicky

veryveryvicky

Neophyte

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

HI there, I found you via google....I'm a mature student who will be starting a bach degree in ethics philosophy & society in september (gulp)

I live in the UK and I'm excited and somewhat nervous!

#887 davidm

davidm

Galilean

• Members
  • 9,492 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

:welcome: veryveryvicky.

Things are a little slow right now, because the main participants are all immersed in intellectual pursuits: novel writing, degree pursuing, graphic comic creating and the like. Perhaps you'd like to start some threads and jump-start things a little. A thread on the philosophy of ethics, maybe?

We also have a chat room, feel free to drop in. :nod:
"History, which is a simple whore, has no decisive moments but is a proliferation of instants, brief interludes that vie with one another in monstrousness."

#888 DaveT

DaveT

Galilean

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

:welcome: Vicky.

You should start a thread on ethics philosophy & society. There are some rather unethical chaps here (e.g. Davidm) who could do with some serious reading on such a topic. :yup:

#889 davidm

davidm

Galilean

• Members
  • 9,492 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

View PostDaveT, on 27 June 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

:welcome: Vicky.

You should start a thread on ethics philosophy & society. There are some rather unethical chaps here (e.g. Davidm) who could do with some serious reading on such a topic. :yup:

:angry:

:x

:rant:

Seriously, Vicky, you should start a thread on a philosophical issue or anything else you like. :nod: Don't mind DaveT too much. What can you expect from a man whose avatar shows a rhinoceros projectile shitting? :shakehead:

#890 DaveT

DaveT

Galilean

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

My avatar works best just to the right of yours, David. :yup:

#891 davidm

davidm

Galilean

• Members
  • 9,492 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

:angry:  :x:  :rant:

#892 dragon

dragon

TGL Student

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Hello, dragon here.  I am about common sense and clear thinking and having solid ground for ideas and opinions.  I am an individulaist who has gone beyond science to the place where there is room for a different truth for every individual.

#893 davidm

davidm

Galilean

• Members
  • 9,492 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

:welcome: dragon. I have responded to your Mars thread.

#894 Hasver

Hasver

Neophyte

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hi, came here after a google search for something put me here: http://www.galilean-...of-omniscience/

Made an account to post the article requested, then realized afterwards the thread was from 2008.

#895 Bluemoney89

Bluemoney89

Neophyte

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

Hello everyone. I work as a waitress. Happily accursed by an unrelenting, autodidactic nature. I find joy in research. Searching Philosophy of History using DuckDuckGo eventually brought me here. And...I'm in love.

#896 davidm

davidm

Galilean

• Members
  • 9,492 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

:welcome: Bluemoney89. Feel free to start a thread or join us is chat some fine evening.

#897 tobarstep

tobarstep

TGL Apprentice

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Hello all, I found my way here via a link from a page on Feyerabend. I was reading up on him because - to my dismay - I recently discovered that all the great thinking and "eureka!" moments I've had over the past few years were already put into book form. By him. It was disheartening to realize that I would not thus become a famous philosopher, but simultaneously encouraging that I was not alone. Even more recently I was taking one of those online "what's your philosophy" quizzes, thinking how ridiculous the answer would be because the "what's your politics" quizzes are always dead wrong, and it said I was most like Paul Feyerabend. I like autodidacticism, dislike false dichotomies, and there's a strong chance you'll find me down the local bar playing video trivia.

#898 Hugo Holbling

Hugo Holbling

Corruptio optimi pessima

• Administrators
  • 3,881 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Welcome, Todd. If you're interested, I collected some of the old (and a little newer) Feyerabend material here, although I haven't had any time more recently to write anything else. There are also a lot of threads and posts here at the forum that cover Feyerabend's work. I'd be glad to chat about it.
"In everything that he'd ever thought about the world and about his life in it he'd been wrong." - Cities of the Plain

#899 tobarstep

tobarstep

TGL Apprentice

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

I'm sure I'll take you up on that offer some day. For now, I'm busy reading through your excellent Philosophy for Beginners series. I'm coming to this from the perspective of a layman who was/is fed-up with the predominant modes of thought in society today; I have no formal education or training in philosophy, so I'm taking it slow at first. Or trying to. I have a tendency to dip my toe in the water as more of a ritual act, then fling myself headlong into the pool regardless of the temperature.

#900 nivenkumar

nivenkumar

Torricellian

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hello,

It's been a long time, but I thought I'd return to see how everyone is going. It's been a bit of a rough ride but who knows how long this peace of mind will remain.

niven
Denn die Todten reiten schnell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users