• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michio

Michio

Ciampolian

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:10 AM

I've read about some famous linguists and theologians who were able to learn other languages simply by reading the Bible in other languages, especially if they've been studying it for 10+ years, therefore knowing what's on every page.

This is a helpful method for people who are learning some exotic language, since it might be near impossible to find decent grammar books and other reading material on it.

This is really intriguing to me, and I might get some Bibles in a few other languages. I've unsuccessfully got off the ground with Tagalog (my mom is a native speaker, unfortunately she didn't speak it to me when I was a baby :( ). The resources for Tagalog are poor unfortunately, so even though I like reading grammar books... I may have to try something else.

I know you can get English Bibles for free pretty easily, but can I get like... A Tagalog NIV somewhere?

Posted Image

#2 Michio

Michio

Ciampolian

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:26 AM

Oh I just thought, would a church have Bibles in other languages possibly? At least in my area, they're bound to have a Spanish one. They'd give one to a lost sheep like me right?

Posted Image

#3 Paulus

Paulus

Nobody

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

What language are you interested in? japanese and tagalog?

By the way, good idea! I'll do that with german and french:mrgreen: and i'll look for those that you might be interested too.

#4 Michio

Michio

Ciampolian

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

You also get to learn about the Bible, and may inadvertently become a scholar of it if you stick with this method. :D

Paulus said:

What language are you interested in? japanese and tagalog?

By the way, good idea! I'll do that with german and french:mrgreen: and i'll look for those that you might be interested too.

Any that I might possibly want to learn in the future... spanish, japanese, mandarin, korean, tagalog, russian...

Posted Image

#5 Elys

Elys

TGL Student

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

I know the LDS have a book of Mormon in Tagalog...  I dunno about Bibles, tho.
TADHPD D xxxpxSdT I $*cc! S @-:s C *A O $*++pmoC R (XES)++P D ?E! I $<++F A *R! N vt+ (+)+++b _ (XES)WAR _ (XEl)$*---CD C ++e O h! D <++++!r E ---K

#6 ephelotes

ephelotes

Neophyte

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

I know this is a bit of a necropost, but http://unbound.biola.edu/ is an absolutely phenomenal resource for learning languages using the Bible.  You can read the Bible in virtually any major language, even the Latin Vulgate and Septuagint, from monoligual to quantralingual, side-by-side with any language(s) you choose.

Edited by ephelotes, 07 February 2011 - 03:53 PM.

Eminence is to merit what adornment is to beauty.
Rochefoucauld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users