12 replies to this topic

#1 Hugo Holbling

Hugo Holbling

Corruptio optimi pessima

• Administrators
  • 3,880 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

If you have any questions on how to use the site or any of the features, post here and I'll try to answer. The following guides may be useful and I'll update this post with future feature discussions:

If you're confused or unsure of how to do something on the site, this is the place to ask. :)
"In everything that he'd ever thought about the world and about his life in it he'd been wrong." - Cities of the Plain

#2 Twirlip of the Mists

Twirlip of the Mists

Neophyte

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

I started trying to explore the forum today (having only used the Shoutbox when I joined yesterday), but on my aging PC with Windows 98, although I can view the display of thread titles, viewing any actual thread - ironically, one on Linux was what I first looked at! - slows Firefox to an absolute crawl.  Excuse typos, but it literally takes minutes to type in a few words, and I cannot contemplate trying to edit this text! (OK, managed now, with the help of the mouse.) Is there any way to make this site lighter on system resources?  I've never encountered any website, apart from advertising-heavy newspaper sites, that does anything like this to my computer!

#3 The Heretic

The Heretic

ironic nihilist & cheerful pessimist

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

Try viewing the site in ip.board.mobile mode. (Go to the bottom of any thread, and look at the black bar that contains the time and the word "default" and "english." Go to default and change it to the mobile version. May be less of a strain on your positively ancient PC resources.

Edited by Campanella, 11 June 2010 - 12:17 PM.

#4 Twirlip of the Mists

Twirlip of the Mists

Neophyte

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

That seems to do the trick, all right.

I built my PC in 2003, and it copes with everything except the aforementioned newspaper sites carrying lots of Flash. (I have Adblock Plus to take care of that.)

I notice that when I viewed this page we are on, 'Unused physical memory' went down from about 200MB to about 170MB.  30 megabytes, just to view one short page of (mostly) text?

While I'm asking questions: is there an option to insert BBCode tags without either doing it manually or else using an add-on such as BBCodeXtra?  I guess these tags aren't going to work, unless the apparent absence of any 'Preview' facility is an artefact of this 'IP Board Mobile' mode I'm now in.

#5 Hugo Holbling

Hugo Holbling

Corruptio optimi pessima

• Administrators
  • 3,880 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

There isn't a preview feature when using the Mobile skin. On the default skin, if you use "add reply" instead of the quick reply box or just click on "use full editor" you should be able to add bbcode using the editor. I'm not sure why the site runs slow for you; I just checked debug info and there's nothing wrong.
"In everything that he'd ever thought about the world and about his life in it he'd been wrong." - Cities of the Plain

#6 Hugo Holbling

Hugo Holbling

Corruptio optimi pessima

• Administrators
  • 3,880 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

Ignoring someone: To ignore another member, click on the drop-down menu in the top right and navigate to My Settings -> Profile -> Manage Ignored Users; alternatively, follow this link. To ignore someone, add their username and click on "save changes".

#7 Chato

Chato

Cesian

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationNew York CIty

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

I had the same problems with Firefox and switched to Camino, which is also a free browser, but at least on my machines (a VERY old Mac) runs much more efficiently.

Dave
"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in modern times"

#8 Hugo Holbling

Hugo Holbling

Corruptio optimi pessima

• Administrators
  • 3,880 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:38 AM

To customise your profile, click on "My Settings" on the drop-down menu in the top right, then go to the "Profile" tab and select "Profile customization". Currently you can change the background colour and/or upload an image; see my profile for an example.

#9 maddog

maddog

Guiduccian

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

View PostHugo Holbling, on 12 June 2010 - 04:18 PM, said:

Ignoring someone: To ignore another member, click on the drop-down menu in the top right and navigate to My Settings -> Profile -> Manage Ignored Users; alternatively, follow this link. To ignore someone, add their username and click on "save changes".

I don't want to ignore someone, I would just like to ignore an avatar.  Is it possible to do that?

Edited by maddog, 28 August 2010 - 05:39 PM.

#10 Hugo Holbling

Hugo Holbling

Corruptio optimi pessima

• Administrators
  • 3,880 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

You can choose to view or hide avatars but only as a whole, not individually.

#11 Inzababa

Inzababa

TGL Student

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostHugo Holbling, on 10 June 2010 - 06:37 PM, said:

If you have any questions on how to use the site or any of the features, post here and I'll try to answer. The following guides may be useful and I'll update this post with future feature discussions:
If you're confused or unsure of how to do something on the site, this is the place to ask. :)

how to "embed" videos in posts?

for example, I would have thought like this, but it doesn't work :

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DYFco9nxZpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

#12 davidm

davidm

Galilean

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

I think you just post a link to the video as you would post any other link with the url command and it will embed automatically, unless it has some code in the video itself to prevent that.
"History, which is a simple whore, has no decisive moments but is a proliferation of instants, brief interludes that vie with one another in monstrousness."

-- Benno von Archimboldi :twisted:

#13 Inzababa

Inzababa

TGL Student

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:31 AM

View Postdavidm, on 03 March 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

I think you just post a link to the video as you would post any other link with the url command and it will embed automatically, unless it has some code in the video itself to prevent that.

think I tried that, but will try it again "here" as well :

http://youtu.be/tpgM9XWS-90

View PostInzababa, on 04 March 2012 - 04:31 AM, said:

nope...

will try full url?

nope...

will try full url?

ahhhh ok, thanks :) I understand now :)
Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users