91 replies to this topic

#51 Parody of Language

Parody of Language

Analyst

• Moderators
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:41 PM

Hmm, I'd call us wise for no other reason than that we're the only creature that is aware of its own death.
"Equally opposed to both light and darkness, we have become more gray." --Who Are the Discontent?

#52 Guest_hiram01_*

Guest_hiram01_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:48 AM

It is the first name of my company and part of my email address.

#53 Mahout

Mahout

Neophyte

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:26 PM

My name means 'elephant driver'. I discovered this word whilst playing scrabble

#54 Maverick

Maverick

Neophyte

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

Maverick because I like the name.

#55 MichaelDomini

MichaelDomini

Neophyte

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:53 AM

It all began on a dark and dreary night on an RP forum.  I was looking for a good sounding name for a character, and eventually put my first and baptismal names together, michael Dominic, and came up with Michael Domini.

#56 cambusken

cambusken

Neophyte

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

...many moons ago, when I was trying to get my first user name for an email address, I seemed always to home in on one used by some other person somewhere in the universe. Two local saints came to my rescue in the end. The rest is history, though I have to confess not as interesting as the Fall of Constantinople.

#57 P. Menard

P. Menard

Neophyte

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:44 AM

Jorge Luis Borges Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote

It is a revelation to compare Menard’s Don Quixote with Cervantes’. The latter, for example, wrote (part one, chapter nine):

. . . truth, whose mother is history, rival of time,
depository of deeds, witness of the past, exemplar and
adviser to the present, and the future’s counselor.

Written in the seventeeth century, written by the “lay genius” Cervantes, this enumeration is a mere rhetorical praise of history. Menard, on the other hand, writes:

. . . truth, whose mother is history, rival of time,
depository of deeds, witness of the past, exemplar and
adviser to the present, and the future’s counselor.

History, the mother of truth: the idea is astounding. Menard, a contemporary of William James, does not define history as an inquiry into reality but as its origin. Historical truth, for him, is not what has happened; it is what we judge to have happened. The final phrases–exemplar and adviser to the present, and the future’s counselor –are brazenly pragmatic.

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library

#58 chascomm

chascomm

Neophyte

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:31 AM

Godot said:

I cannot think of a single forum I've visited that there hasn't been a thread devoted to people explaining their usernames or their rationale for so choosing. So it's about time we had one here at TGL.

I'll start it off:

Seven or eight years ago I was in a bar with some friends and we were playing this tv trivia game. In order for the points to "count", I had to register an account. I figured I would just pull a name out of the air at random that wouldn't be used and would certainly have a few of the regulars at the bar wonder where it came from. Thus, "Godot".

A few years later, when I fell into the online world of message boards, it just seemed a natural choice to continue with. Lucky for me, I haven't run into anyone using the same name elsewhere.

So, how about you?
Mine is not too interesting. I was always trying to tell some blokes about what they were up against. I heard several times them sayin amonst themselves 'thats jest the urge to tell us anything;this friend of ours.' So wen I tried to dream up a name I first wrote down then found I could not improve on it over tea and chat.

#59 Michio

Michio

Ciampolian

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

michio means the one on the right path.

michi = 道 = road, way, path

o = 夫 = husband

Even though o means husband, we can interpret it as simply male, since another common name is michiko, a female name. ko means child.

The more you know.

Posted Image

#60 DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance

Transcendental Rebellion

• Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

Well, my old self, deadcandance (here I am, newly reborn and already crawling back in my thoughts to the old me) is named after a musical group I particularly love. When they were asked where the name came from, the answer was something to the effect of :

We use our instruments in such a way as to try and bring out what we hold to be the latent potentiality for animation and for life in the inanimate.

I just liked the name, but now, with DeadCainDanced, I am in another realm of meaning. My current name is about how we dance over our destruction, celebrate this misanthropic impulse that rests within us, and we do so often without even knowing it....
"Mankind can keep alive thanks to his aptitude for keeping his humanity repressed. And now for once, you must try to face the facts, mankind is kept alive by bestial acts." - William S. Burroughs

#61 Tachyon

Tachyon

Tachyon

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:41 AM

Tachyon - a theoretical particle that travels faster than light - the faster it goes the less energetic it is. I called my sharpie Tachyon but that was wishful thinking - we still come last just about every time we race. Sailing is a friendly sport; if you sail badly enough for long enough they give you first on handicap if you finish on the same day as the other boats - a typical race being around two hours duration.

#62 anthrogator

anthrogator

Neophyte

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:39 AM

I received my B.A. from the University of Florida in Anthropology.  Hence "anthro" and the UF mascot "gator".  Not particularly clever, but at least I have never had it denied for being a duplicate.

#63 The Moving Finger

The Moving Finger

in pursuit of my -isms

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:13 AM

My username is the first three words of the first and only poem that I've ever read which made me cry. The poem appears in Kurt Vonnegut's Timequake.

The first time that I read the poem, I was definitely moved by it, and I subsequently highlighted it and marked the page. It wasn't until I read the poem a second time aloud to my girlfriend that the stark reality which it describes became manifest to me. Very seldom in life is one presented with a fundamental truth. This is one of them. I could do nothing else but cry.
The Moving Finger writes; and having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.
- Khayym

#64 the sad clown

the sad clown

Intellectual Derelict and Emotional Cripple

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:54 AM

"the sad clown" was an attempt at encapsulating ironic self-depreciation.  I've used it elsewhere and simply carried it over to here.
I laugh, yet the joke is on me.

#65 muraii

muraii

Castellian

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:16 AM

In the days before I gave it up (and near the top of my stack of near-future ambitions), I tried to write fantasy short stories.  One involved a character named "Muraii," who was the singleton of her species.  She was imbued with some interesting characteristics, but I don't actually recall them anymore; and of the few stories I pursued with anything approaching dedication, hers was not among them.  But there was a solitude devoid of loneliness in the ideas I built her from; her life was to be an incessant sojourn through but not within the world.  And there was something, too, about her character being strong and feminine without being womanly, if that makes any sense, and I suppose it served as a means of exploring being the only child, only son, of a strong, single mother figure.  So very early on in my online endeavors (1996 or so), I chose "muraii" as my username.  Across several boards, and several Usenet groups, I built a small internet archive of activity.

#66 Peter

Peter

Torricellian Vacuum

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUp from Pluck the Crow Point

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

Just to say that 'ptermx' is now rebranded as 'Peter'. Spiffy new name, same great product!
I found that my customers were calling me that anyway, so I thought I'd bag it rather than get into a trademark dispute.

Peter

#67 Sugoi

Sugoi

TGL Student

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • LocationAn Orange-like Blue World ;)

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

About ten years ago (when I was 10) my mum opened a complement shop (clothes, silver jewelery, purses...) and while we started searching for a name among characters of Basque mythology I found this character, Sugoi (also known as Sugaar or Maju) who was a kind of human-snake hybrid, he was married to the goddess Mari, and it was said that when there was a storm, it was because they were having sex. I found it a very beautiful story and also liked the simplicity and sound of the name :)  So, as it was then when I started to use the Internet, I started using the name everywhere around the net, and still here I am, with the same magic name ;)  (Sorry for my bad English...)
"True peace is not merely the absence of war, it is the presence of justice." — Jane Addams Nobel Peace Prize and founder of WILPF

#68 Sugoi

Sugoi

TGL Student

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

By the way, in Basque, Sugoi means something like "high fire". I've been told that sugoi means beautiful in Japanese, but I'm not very sure of that, is it possible?
"True peace is not merely the absence of war, it is the presence of justice." — Jane Addams Nobel Peace Prize and founder of WILPF

#69 ughaibu

ughaibu

Neophyte

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:22 PM

View PostSugoi, on 24 May 2010 - 06:23 PM, said:

I've been told that sugoi means beautiful in Japanese, but I'm not very sure of that, is it possible?
The meaning is something like 'far out'.

#70 Sugoi

Sugoi

TGL Student

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

I see. Thanks!! ;) That seems to fit me a little better... heh =D

#71 DaveT

DaveT

Galilean

• Members
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

Well, my real name is Ivan O'Toole III, and my cat is called Max, my gerbil is called Gary, and my bad-tempered Walrus is called Cuddles, so DaveT seemed an obvious choice.
Hola. Mi nombre es Iñigo Montoya. Usted mató a mi padre, prepárate a morir.

#72 Sugoi

Sugoi

TGL Student

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

Posted Image

#73 Fede

Fede

Neophyte

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

It's my surname. It's pronounced in two ways (geographically sensitive)
1) feh-deh in spanish
2) feh-ddie when i was living in the states.

#74 AestheticizeAnalog

AestheticizeAnalog

Neophyte

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

Certain fans of early electronic music have an obsession with analog instruments over digital instruments, and therefore I think they Aestheticize the Analog.....

#75 Chato

Chato

Cesian

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationNew York CIty

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:02 AM

My dog was kind enough to allow me to use his name as my alias. The irony here is that he is named after an Apache Indian I admire, and three months after giving the dog his name, I found out what it actually means; "Flat Nose."  :(

Dave
"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in modern times"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users