This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Introduce yourself here...

924 posts in this topic

Posted

I really wish my school was more like this.

Hello everybody, I just wanted to inform you that my nickname has changed! I was once Mace. However, I am now Shattered Parad0x.

You can also identify me as Br0ken Parad0x on other forums where I am unable to use this nickname. (It's too long in some websites.)

Posted

I really wish my school was more like this.

There's one more title that I forgot to mention: King and Queen of each class. For example, if you're an outstanding boy sophomore whose GPA is the highest in your particular class of whatever year, and your extracurricular activities are excellent also, and you're well-liked by many, you will be nominated King of that specific class.

And the King of the senior class (2005) just sang a song called "Man! I Feel Like A Woman" yesterday night, which greatly entertained me.

Posted

I suppose I should introduce myself and summarize a few biographical points.

Over 6 years ago I began this odyssey of intellectual growth after becoming fascinated with the famous Dead Old Thinkers in philosophy, and an excellent intro class at the local juco kicked things off.

It began with a voracious consumption of Ayn Rand's fiction, and being enamored with her ideal of the self-made man (Roark, Galt, et. al) helped ease me into her nonfictional works (Philosophy: who needs it, Virtue of selfishness, etc). I wasted no time talking about objectivism with others, however, in those books, I was perceptive enough not to be satisfied with her cartoonish representation of the other thinkers. I could have stopped there and become an ideologue.

Then I transferred to state college, and took a course on Existentialism by Professor Khazaee. Needless to say, existentialism provided a perfect counterbalance to the excessive rationalism in objectivism, and my artistic tendencies identified with many of the tenets. If life is absurd, then live life filled with passion, and all that.

Luckily my father had a good collection of books of classic philosophy, and that gave me a foundation of a library of brainfood. The following summer I moved on to Jean Paul Sartre's works, namely Being and Nothingness, Nausea and his plays (No Exit, the Wall) and Camus' Stranger and Myth of Sisyphus. The course on existentialism was only the beginning of a long infatuation with these thinkers of the authentic life, which continues to this day.

Then in the fall and spring semesters I took more courses in philosophy that focused on the history of modern thought (British empiricism, phenomenology, and philosophy of science), and that did little but inflame the philosophical bug. It also sealed the fact that my skill in art was selftaught, and I would profit best from changing my major in order to really learn something.

These courses in philosophy practically abolished many myths I had accumulated in my life, ranging from common sense reasoning to idealist history. I also had to reinvent my comic book, recreate the motif and themes to reflect the fruits of these intellectual epiphanies.

I left for Italy in summer of 2000 with all of Nietzsche's books. While visiting the ancient cathedrals, I always had a Nietzsche book in my hands. I read them in a chronological order, from Human, All Too Human to Beyond Good and Evil and came back with a greater appreciation for art, for philosophy, and for life.

That was around the time I registered with iidb, the internet infidels, and my intellectual evolution took off. Being in that sphere of mental stimulation contributed to my ability to express my thoughts, reflections or understanding of the material. Extensive discussions with other unbelievers and protracted debates with apologists also brought to my attention about the nature of intellectuals and their expertise.

After observing the dynamics of a discussion board's growth, where in the beginning you had variety of posters engaged in discourse to its current state as a battleground between dogmatic ideologues, I saw a great deal of articulate and profound posters move on from that community to other things more germane to their purposes, only to be replaced by fundamental atheists and rhetoricians. It grew to the point that the site's popularity attracted the mediocre which led to its drop in quality that I was determined to establish my own boards that emphasized scholarship and explanation, and move from mere cheerleading atheism to actual investigation of a variety of philosophical pursuits. It is a thankless task, and you hardly appreciate the finer points of philosophy in a room full of short-sighted people. I think that is why I am more of a lurker on other boards than an active participant these days, although I still run my boards. I'm also working on my comic, which is getting closer to fruition, eventually. :)

Posted

I should add the reasoning behind my handle - besides the fact that Tommasso Campanella was a contemporary of Galileo and defended him in public - Campanella was also a heretic when it wasn't safe to be one and paid for it.

At any rate, my focus these days are mostly concentrated with the works of poststructuralists such as Derrida, Foucault, and their influences: Hayden White, Richard Rorty, Nelson Goodman, as well as philosophers of science (Kuhn, Lakatos, and the immortal Feyerabend).

:lol:

Posted

Hey, an excellent intro Heretic. Your art work is great stuff so I'm hoping I could see that comic book whenever its done.

Posted

Im pp_075 and saying hello to everybody. I guess thats it....

Posted

Welcome to the site. What kind of working out do you do (from your profile...)?

Posted

Just to say hello to all thats been and to them that come to be.

Posted

Welcome, chance0! :)

Posted

Mark W. Ingalls

Baltimore, MD, USA

I just turned 50. I'm thinking about trying to study physics again when I retire. Or maybe theology.

I finally reached my tipping point, and the Spirit moved me here.

Hello.

Posted

Happy 50th, Mark! Very nice to have you as a member! :)

We have physics and theology right here, so need to wait until you retire to study them.

Please join in early and often. I'm looking forward to resuming our discussions.

Posted

Hi everyone. I stumbled across this website very recently, and it seemed like too much fun not to say hello.

I stumbled into philosophy in a similar fashion not so long ago, and I liked it enough to take it up at university (yup, that's right - I'm British). Unfortunately, not only is talking about it socially unacceptable in my faculty, but I've always found it the most enjoyable way to learn. My other interests include psychology, walking in the Welsh mountains and, increasingly, Eastern European literature. I also quite like to balance things on my head, but I am trying to give it up as it sometimes unsettles people.

I'm afraid I'm going to be busy with exams for the next week, but after that I look forward to engaging in a bit of dialectic and getting to know you all.

Posted

Welcome to TGL, Arthur.

Posted

Hi. [insert wave smile here that's conspicuously absent from the collection. ;)) I've been around the block on several forums, so I recognize a few names. I also will be mostly absent for a couple weeks, but have been lurking around and hopefully will be posting more once that nasty real life thing that has me in its clutches lets up a bit.

Posted

Hello there, I have just started reading philosophy again after finishing my Film degree and decided to see if I could find any message boards so I can discuss and read other peoples opinions.

I look forward to reading lots and any discussion that follows.

Posted

Welcome to the site. I assume from your username that you're familiar with the immortal Viz magazine? Whatever the case, there are already plenty of film discussions in the Media forum and i hope you'll get involved.

Posted

Thanks for the welcome. I do know about Viz, your one of the first people to recognise my nickname for whereabouts its actually from.

I look forward to having a read down in the media forum and getting stuck in.

Posted

Welcome Arthur, Roland and Toonlass. And please note (Mr. Scott?) that Roland is quite right: we absolutely need a wave-hand smilie (as well as, of course, a nodding twisted evil smilie.

Posted

Welcome Toonlass! Hugo already pointed you to Media but not his excellent essay on Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy (and here in Manuscripts). Check it out and tell us what you think!

Posted

David and Mosaic-thank you for the welcome

wave.gif

Posted

I really like your wave. : )

Welcome Toonlass.

Posted

Well, that little smilie comes in handy. Thanks for the welcome :)

Posted

Greetings.

I am trinityicecream. If you cut me, I do not bleed, but one look from you will make me melt...

:wink:

Posted

Greetings and salutations!

I, Loki... no, that is not the way to begin, that is not the way at all. I am Loki, and a student of mathematics in a walled city of England. If I were to acknowledge masters, they would be Jorge Luis Borges, Knut Pedersen Hamsun, and Mikhail Bulgkakov. I am a Catholic and a Castalian, but what does all this tell you? I am myself alas, inextricably.

Posted

With the end of the mind-crushing torture that is the examination season, I am free to devote my time to intellectual pursuits, such as paying proper attention to this website. Hello to all libraryites.