This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Introduce yourself here...

924 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello. My name is Dana Garrett. DeadCanDance recommended that I join, so I did. I'm interested in philosophical questions mostly--ontology, epistemology, philosophy of mind, some political philosophy.

That's it really. I'm looking forward to the interaction.

Posted

Hello. My name is Dana Garrett. DeadCanDance recommended that I join, so I did. I'm interested in philosophical questions mostly--ontology, epistemology, philosophy of mind, some political philosophy.

That's it really. I'm looking forward to the interaction.

:welcome: Dana Garrett

Posted

Mr. Garrett is one of my favorite YouTubers, always intelligent and cogent, and an all around nice guy: he, in a series of videos, once politely kicked my butt on the whole death penalty thing....

Posted

Hey, folks.

I'm Federico, philosophy student and searcher of truth from the southern hemisphere. I'm 100% bilingual.

Cheers.

Posted

Alex Strekal (otherwise known as "Brainpolice") here. I was invited/linked by DeadCanDance from youtube. I'll be interested to see what's going on here and participate to some extent. My interest has primarily been political philosophy, but that has inevitably lead me to every other area of philosophy in the process.

Posted

Welcome, Fede & Brainpolice! 2 drinks minimum. :cheers:

Posted

Hello! Matt is the name.

I was also directed here by DeadCanDance. My main interest lie in the aesthetics and political philosophy. I'm a student of music mainly, but what is music without philosophy?

Later!

Posted

Welcome to all of you. I hope you enjoy our community and get involved. :)

Posted

Another DeadCanDance recommendation here B)

This indeed looks like a very interesting forum!

My name is Bart Hofsteder. On youtube I go by the user name of vanderbilt887, which is my mother's maiden name. Here I have chosen the user name Darshana, which is an Indian name meaning "philosophy". It seemed appropriate. The avatar depicts an Indian sculpture of Shiva, a true masterpiece.

I have a wide variety of interests, including but certainly not limited to philosophy of science, of mind, political philosophy, both analytic and continental philosophy, literature, music (predominately classical), physics, biology, climate science, art and AI.

My adventure with all of this began in the back garden of our old house in a little Dutch village called Exloo, in which I started exploring the world (and according to my mother where I was talking to the violas), and subsequently this expanded to the local forest, the village library, the night sky and the stars themselves. One could say a sense of wonder has always permeated every aspect of my existence. I am in large part an autodidact.

I have a pretty busy job right now, but I'll try to be quite active on this forum.

Posted

Hello my name is Graeme. I caught wind of this forum when it was referenced by LudditeRomantic in a YouTube video. My interests are primarily in political philosophy and ethics, although I am also deeply interested in philosophy of science, metaphysics, epistemology and aesthetics.

Posted

Welcome to our community. :)

Posted

My name is Ralph and I am very pleased to find this place accidentally while trying to locate a specific article on Cormac MacCarthy without having to pay for it.

My education is in art, doing my MA at the Royal College of Art sculpture school which is where I gained an interest in philosophy as well as realising my lack of knowledge in it, which is another reason for my being here. I am currently pursuing my own cross disciplinary research into the act of making, the reasoning for doing so and how the findings of this might inform a more active and authentic relationship with (among other things) the Real.

I am currently interested in: Henri Bergson, Victor Papanek, James Joyce, Joseph Beuys, Jacques Lacan, E. F. Schumacher, Joseph Conrad and Greil Marcus.

My favourite book is The Tin Drum, though I am desperately under read.

I have a blog that is a sort of notebook at http://ralphdorey.blogspot.com/

I hope I can contribute while I learn some things here.

all the best

ralph

Posted

Welcome to our community, Ralph. You might be interested in some of our essays, particularly the series on the roots of modern art. I hope you get involved in the discussions. :)

Posted

I am back, after a very long absence. I stayed away because I felt like I had a negative presence in the forum, sort of a "thread stopper", and I didn't want to offend people. I have noticed in the forums I visited since then that nobody else has any such concerns, and now that I have escaped from a few intolerable venues I feel much better to be back in the positive atmosphere of the Galilean Library. Oh, and I have honed my own manners so maybe I can avoid offending people unintentionally. At least I have learned to say "Fascinating!" instead of "Bulls**t!"

Posted

Hi there. My name is Andreas and I go by the name of "theinternetmademedoit". Having just posted my first post in the forums, I figured I better introduce myself as well.

Born Swedish, I today describe myself simply as "geographically confused". I move around to much I think. Right now, I reside somewhere in South-East Asia. I won't go into more detail in an effort to cloak myself in a shroud of mystery. But I will add that I build websites for a living. Big ones. Without LOL cats.

Posted

Hello, all.

I came to this site ages ago, but since I changed my handle, I figured a new intro is in order.

Permit me, then, to reintroduce myself through the medium of dance.

:dance:

I am now called 'Big Blooming Blighter', simply because 'Big Bloody Bastard' is not allowed.

Since changing my handle, I have, in conjunction with The Heretic, sung the swan song for the Shoutbox, exposed Mr Gweeble as the ghost in the fairground, and purged the Smurfs.

I look forward to being a complete blighter, and something of a bastard, until such a time as it bores me.

Posted

Nice of you to say who you were before you changed your handle, what was it 'Small Smarmy Swindler'?

-Scott

1 person likes this

Posted

Yo TGLers.

I was one of the earliest members, but since I discovered the almighty function of name-change, I thought I should re-introduce myself to the unwary and unwitting.

cue laughtrack.

:lol::grin2::rofl:

Thus, I've decided to go with a classic handle, since the immortal handle Utter Cunt wasn't allowed. :banghead:

The namechange has freed me from the prison of expectations - in which I teamed up with BBB to eulogize the Shoutbox, among other things too risque to mention.

As always, I intend to be heretical, until there's no more heresies to spout, and nothing to be heretical about. :twisted:

Posted

:welcome: Bloomer.

:welcome: Heretic.

Let me greet each of you with the medium of dance and a tossed brick:

:brick::dance:

:brick::dance:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

It's not too late, davidm. You can always change yours to E. Mota Khan. :brow:

FYI, Campanella is named after the greatest heretic of all time. :notworthy:

Edited by The Heretic

Posted

... I've decided to go with a classic handle, since the immortal handle Utter Cunt wasn't allowed. :banghead:

Quite right. "Utter" just didn't suit.

The namechange has freed me from the prison of expectations

You're not free from that prison until you reset your rep counter to zero.

1 person likes this

Posted

Actually I'm confident that even if I had my rep points reset to zero, I'd still be #1 in 6 months. Again. :brow:

Posted

It's not too late, davidm. You can always change yours to E. Mota Khan. :brow:

FYI, Campanella is named after the greatest heretic of all time. :notworthy:

I don't see how to change my user name. :confused::oops:

Posted

My ironic post in which I pretended to be Hugo using a sock puppet has been deleted. :( I was hoping to trick the n00bs into getting me cyber-ice-cream. :Cry:

Posted

Campanella has messaged me to go to Edit Profile, and then use Change Display Name to change my user name. Unfortunately, when I go to edit Profile, I am given no option to Change Display Name. Anyone can help? :confused: