This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Introduce yourself here...

924 posts in this topic

Posted

That option has been disabled.

Posted

Actually I'm confident that even if I had my rep points reset to zero, I'd still be #1 in 6 months. Again. :brow:

Go on then...

Posted

But I was going to change my name to "Teh Uberadmin" :(

Posted

That's something of an overreaction.

And this post is something of an understatement.

Posted

Welcome to The Galilean Library. Take a moment to tell us a little about yourself (and how you got here).

Hello. I came to come here looking for Deleuze and cinema. Good find. I've started a blog. Seems from the later comments in this forum I may have arrived too late. I hope not.

In any case if others have been put off by some of the wearisome exchanges I've noticed, there still does seem to be a lot of great stuff here, and some life yet. I'll certainly stick around a while and hopefully find good conversations. I'll have a go at doing the blog. I hope life works out well for everybody, especially those who are sad.

Posted

Welcome to The Galilean Library. Take a moment to tell us a little about yourself (and how you got here).

Hello. I came to come here looking for Deleuze and cinema. Good find. I've started a blog. Seems from the later comments in this forum I may have arrived too late. I hope not.

In any case if others have been put off by some of the wearisome exchanges I've noticed, there still does seem to be a lot of great stuff here, and some life yet. I'll certainly stick around a while and hopefully find good conversations. I'll have a go at doing the blog. I hope life works out well for everybody, especially those who are sad.

:welcome: finisterre. We are not sad. We are just mad :angry: and bad. :twisted:

Posted

Deleuze fan here, Fin Sterre.

More familiar with his philosophical reinterpretations (Hume, Nietzsche) than his stuff on cinema, so I'm happy 2 see another deleuzian on this board. :cheers:

Posted

Greetings, all!

My name is Tzela, and I look forward to joining in the conversation.

Only in the past couple of years have I begun to study philosophy in earnest, and accordingly, there is much I have yet to learn. My practical experience consists almost entirely of lively debates with people who stand at intersections and yell at passersby about their ultimate cosmic destination should they not convert immediately to their belief systems. But while that may be fun, I would really enjoy the chance to converse with the intelligent and civil for a change.

I am especially interested in consciousness and any field whose name begins with 'cognitive', my number one interest being the study of dreams. It is the closest thing I have to an area of expertise, and while I am not actually a researcher, I am well on my way to becoming as knowledgeable as one, and have written extensively on the subject, both as a critic and theorist.

I wish I could say how I first stumbled upon this forum, but it's been buried in the depths of my bookmarks folder for well over a year now. Only recently did I rediscover it.

So, anyway, here I am. *salutes* :-)

Posted

:welcome: Tzela.

Perhaps you'd like to discuss the "hard problem of consciousness," as mooted by David Chalmers?

Posted

:welcome: Tzela.

Perhaps you'd like to discuss the "hard problem of consciousness," as mooted by David Chalmers?

You know, I had to go look up who David Chalmers is. I wasn’t kidding when I said I was only just beginning to study philosophy. Looks like I’ve already learned something new here.

So far, the problem I’ve been devoting most of my attention to is “What characterizes human consciousness?” rather than “How are we conscious?”, and I’m much more familiar with the psychological side of the latter. But I will not say no to a shiny new perspective. I’d love to discuss something of the sort, although at the present time I’m not well-informed enough to offer a critical judgment of Chalmers’s ideas (although I will admit that just looking them over has given me some interesting things to think about).

Posted

Im twinkie, and unicorns will rule the world

Posted

Will they be led by the Invisible Pink Unicorn? Welcome aboard!

Posted

I, for one, welcome our equine horned overlords.

Posted

Will they be led by the Invisible Pink Unicorn? Welcome aboard!

I'm still a virgin, and see unicorns all the time, although here in New York, they look a bit threadbare... :)

Dave

Posted

Hi, I'm Vern, an evangelical Christian...grew up in South-Central L.A., a different place in the 40s and 50s. Went to war in Korea, worked in defense/aerospace for years...Apollo, a variety of systems that tracked people, airplanes, missiles and such. Moved to Northwest 35 years ago, owned Honda shop in mining area, built departments for computer-systems based start up, did 3 contracts for Boeing in Puget Sound, did seminars for a year, and a bunch of stuff since. Now days I do some writing and a lot of editing of all kinds of books...in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Had love-of-my-life wife for 55+ years (married as teenagers) but she died of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) in February. 3 kids, 9 grandkids, 4 great grandkids, 2 dogs and 1 cat. I got here doing research on Hawking's Grand Design...

Posted

Hello, Vern. Glad you're here. I am very sorry about your wife. Just for your info, I brought up Hawking (prior to his latest book) in a blog which starts here.

Michael

Posted

Hi, I'm Vern, an evangelical Christian...grew up in South-Central L.A., a different place in the 40s and 50s. Went to war in Korea, worked in defense/aerospace for years...Apollo, a variety of systems that tracked people, airplanes, missiles and such. Moved to Northwest 35 years ago, owned Honda shop in mining area, built departments for computer-systems based start up, did 3 contracts for Boeing in Puget Sound, did seminars for a year, and a bunch of stuff since. Now days I do some writing and a lot of editing of all kinds of books...in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Had love-of-my-life wife for 55+ years (married as teenagers) but she died of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) in February. 3 kids, 9 grandkids, 4 great grandkids, 2 dogs and 1 cat. I got here doing research on Hawking's Grand Design...

:welcome: fresh victim who will soon swell the ever-growing ranks of Hugo's evil, undead army :peace: . There's a thread or two about Hawking's latest book (and related topics) in the Explore forum. Have a look and see if you can find anything you can contribute to :yup: .

Posted (edited)

Hello everybody.

I just registered.

I'm Tawanyh, according to my mother, a former air-hostess, she got the name when she received a strange Iranian perfume as a gift while she lived in Amsterdam; The perfume's name was Tawanyh, which according to her, means "The desired one" in Farsi.

She wanted very badly to become a mother, because of that she concluded Tawanyh("The desired one") would be a more than befitting name for her first and only child, me.

Most people call me Taw, the short version of it.

I was born in Nezahualcoyotl to a mexican father of Spanish, French and German heritage and a Brazilian-Italian mother of Polish, Greek and German heritage.

I have lived in Mexico City my entire life, though.

The 20th of this month I'll turn 18.

My interests are: Music, Literature, other art forms such as drawing and Cinema, Phyisics, Chemistry, History, Biology, Math, Astronomy, Computer programming, Philosophy, Psychology and learning languages.

Edited by taw
2 people like this

Posted

Welcome to our community, taw. It sounds like you have an array of interests and influences so I hope you'll get involved. :)

Posted

Good first post, Taw.

I wish I had a cool story about my name, like you do.

Posted

Welcome :-)

I'm Tawanyh, according to my mother, a former air-hostess, she got the name when she received a strange Iranian perfume as a gift while she lived in Amsterdam; The perfume's name was Tawanyh, which according to her, means "The desired one" in Farsi.

She wanted very badly to become a mother, because of that she concluded Tawanyh("The desired one") would be a more than befitting name for her first and only child, me.

Cool story. I only got the name I did because my mother was feeling particularly Catholic around the time I was born. Had the timing been different, there’s a good chance my middle name would have been ‘Egalité’!

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Geoff of Bacchus Marsh. Geoffrey is the name I was given, and Bacchus Marsh is a nice town about an hour west of Melbourne, Australia.

Came across a link to this site via Wikipedia, the Logic entry. My interests are quite broad but I enjoy the humanities and Philosophy, History and Religion in particular. As a result of curiosity inversely proportional to my application, I am not much chop at any of these. However, I am not so easily embarrassed and generous quantities of beer and pizza have left me moderately thick skinned.

Something witty.

Cheers.

Edited by Geoff of Bacchus Marsh

Posted

My interests are quite broad but I enjoy the humanities and Philosophy, History and Religion in particular. As a result of curiosity inversely proportional to my application, I am not much chop at any of these. However, I am not so easily embarrassed and generous quantities of beer and pizza have left me moderately thick skinned.

All good things, Geoff of Bacchus Marsh! Glad you made it to this virtual shore. Hope you enjoy TGL.

All the best,

AllBlue

Posted (edited)

Hello TGL!

I officially joined the site in December of 09 but did not make an introductory post. 2010 past and I was long absent from these forums, albeit my absence went unnoticed, so with the coming of May 2011 I decided that perhaps I should return to the most agreeable places on the internet.

My Background:

I'm about to graduate from high school in the Pacific Northwest come June and next year will continue my studies at New York University. I'll be part of the Global Liberal Studies program there so I'll be reading quite a few of the dead guys you all (by which I mean me too) like to talk about. I'm an International Baccalaureate Diploma Candidate, not that it means anything, who will testing in Higher Level History, English, and Biology in a couple of weeks, as well as Standard Level Mandarin and Environmental Sciences. Intellectually, I'm really into history and the sciences, however I dabble in philosophy whenever I have the chance. I'd say I'm more familiar with Kierkegaard than any other philosopher, although I've read only a few of his books. My hope is to learn more about Deleuze and Guattari as some of you may have noticed by my recent topic in the Explore Forum in addition to Slavoj Zizek and Suzanne Kappeler (the latter is just so I can pick her ideas about violence apart). Anyways, if there is anything else you'd like to know about me or have any questions about my schooling, from what I've seen the majority of members are removed from the high school years, just send me a message or reply on this topic since it hasn't seen too much traffic lately.

Thanks,

Meursault

EDIT: I'm unsure how I found this website, but it was most likely because I was searching something about Absurdism which at the time I had no idea about and probably still don't.

Edited by Meursault
1 person likes this

Posted

I also read a few pages back in this, why didn't anyone change their name to Utter Kant. That would have been hilarious and perhaps portraying too much of my humor...

1 person likes this