This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Introduce yourself here...

924 posts in this topic

Posted

Welcome to the forums, Petra. I'm not sure if "Postie" is NZ slang I know nothing of or you're making a joke(funny) about the site. And yeah, please make sure the Holbling doesnt leave any detail( read: lost again, etc.) in the Five Eigth he's runnning :)

Posted

Thank you for the welcome!

A "Postie" is a mail delivery person - summer's not far away, and I'd like a job that has me out riding my bike all day.

The smoking baby avatar will only be relevant to me for another 2 weeks, which is when I have my last day at my current job. After then, the stress factor will be greatly reduced and I will no longer feel like that infant.

Don't worry to much about the black helicopter, davidm. It appears to have brought her back safe and sound; although I shall be watching for any strange behavioural changes or chip implant scarring. I think she'll be okay, though - the pilot was such a nice man. 8)

Well, I'd better go show my sleepy face and make sure Holbling has managed to find himself some breakfast, etc.

Ciao for now! :)

Posted

Oh, by the way - when he got lost last year, it was my dog he was walking. Poor dog was exhausted trying to find home again! lol

Back then, I also got into trouble with Hugo and Zoe (my daughter) because on a tourist walk through a geothermal park, I was wanting to jump a fence to avoid paying the entrance fee, and they weren't having it. I got half way over the fence, and they insisted I get back down and behave my delinquent self!

Killjoys. :lol:

Posted

Greetings all!

Douglas from NY here. Saw a reference to this forum on FreeThought Forum and really liked what I saw. My background is in history and philosophy. Right now I teach high school history and hope to do some part time real estate work in the fall.

Look forward to participating here.

Regards.

Posted

Welcome to TGL, Douglas. I hope you'll get involved, especially in the History and Historiography forum.

Posted

I realized I haven't introduced myself yet, although I think most of you have seen my posts.

I'm Parody of Language, known as select on other forums. I actually came here from philosophyforums.com, I remember that The Heretic gave a couple of links there to his forum, and then I come from there to here. I've always enjoyed his posts, although it seems clear that we have backgrounds. He came from an interest in art, I've come from more intellectual interests.

The two philosophers that have had the most influence on me are Plato and Nietzsche, so that would explain why some of my views sound contradictory. From Plato I get an interest in ontology, logic, and ethics. From Nietzsche I get my interest in value theory and psychology. But the main thing that has attracted me to both of these philosophers is that they both affirmed the value of philosophy. This is something I almost need in this present day where the lack of value of philosophy is the popular opinion.

I have a small collection of books of philosophy, and most of them have been read, some just skimmed over. But I'm not well read the way that a lot of you are. And honestly, I don't envy you. I have a strange relationship with books, I constantly question the value of reading books. The way I read is more like a sort of hunting. I don't scour the whole forest, but I walk right into the thick of it looking for something to appropriate and take back with me. No doubt, I'm not a scholar. I don't enjoy reading but I love philosophy, so what is a guy to do?

But then I realized that reading books of philosophy isn't philosophy. I was influenced by Wittgenstein's view of philosophy being an activity, and not a body of knowledge or anything else. That would make reading books, in actuallity, a hinderance to doing philosophy. The scholar's temperment is completely opposed to me. I've found that too many scholars have read a lot of books, they obviously have long attention spans, but have never struck upon anything new or exciting in their careers. The translators of a lot of works of philosophy are like this. They provide an immense service, but if you look at their careers you'll have to question whether they are philosophers at all. Kaufman and Bloom being two notable examples.

On the other hand, among the great philosophers themselves, you'll find instances of philosophers who are also great scholars, but on the other hand it is clearly not necessary. Not every good philosopher was a scholar. We might even criticize good philosophers for bad scholarship (which isn't the same as criticizing their philosophy, you should note).

But it is the scholars who call themselves philosophers who are enough to question the value of philosophy. Maybe the layman is right when he says that philosophy is senseless, useless, or impractical. This is one of the problems that I try to deal with, determining whether philosophy has any value. Since I'm interested in philosophy, I obviously believe that philosophy has value. But the problem here is to prove it. I've read Russell's answer to this problem in his The Problems of Philosophy and I have laugh a little bit, for it isn't a serious answer. It's rather a covert way of agreeing with the layman. Or any other answers that say, "Philosophy has value in itself," or "Knowledge is valuable for it's own sake," are essentially agreeing with the layman. So I'm inclined to affirm the opposite, going even far enough to say that you don't understand philosophy if you believe anything of the above. Philosophy is an activity. Doing philosophy is the same as knowing philosophy. Applying philosophy is the same as doing philosophy. And the value of philosophy is a means to an end depending on what you apply it to.

Anyway, sort of off topic there, but that's really my writing style. In a single post I have been able to discuss points in every field of philosophy. Here, I thought discussing the value of philosophy was appropriate when introducing myself. I notice that the moderators here like to split threads when they go off topic. I hope I'm not too much of a thorn in their side. As you all should know, all the fields of philosophy are related, so usually tangents aren't just appropriate when discussing philosophy, but usually necessary.

Posted

Hi everyone. My name's Octavia, and I'm another Kiwi. I'm 27, have a degree in politics (am very interested in political philosophy, but no-one I know wants to talk about it with me. Family gatherings often start with me being pulled aside by my mother and being warned "don't start up again!"), and am a few months away from a BSc in botany. How these two will merge I don't know, but it'll turn out alright, I expect.

Let's see, what else... I'm into sci-fi and fantasy stuff, and do some creative writing which is really rather trite and wordy, though would dearly like to improve it somehow. I'm an agnostic/weak atheist, am a big fan of rugby (watching, not playing). Am also trying to learn the art of poi swinging, but more often than not end up hitting myself in the head with the silly things.

Um, I think that's about it, really.

Posted

Welcome. I'm new too, but I take upon myself the power to welcome new people :)

Posted

Welcome, Octavia. This is definitely the place to discuss political philosophy, so feel free to jump in.

For the benefit of everyone else, Octavia is from Mooloo country. :rock:

Posted

I am Diogenes, a citizen of no nation or state. I wander about looking for one honest man. I'm also half-crazed and apt to expose myself at the slightest provocation. Just a warning. Some of you may know me by other names at different fora, but for now I choose to keep that to myself, only revealing myself to that one honest person.

Posted

Welcome, Octavia and Diogenes. :)

Posted

I love the historical Diogenes. He's definitely an interesting character. But how do you get internet in your barrel?

Posted

WiFi

Posted

A warm welcome to our newest members. :)

Posted

Hello! =)

My name is nancy, I'm still in high school... I am interested in just about everything, mostly mathematics and the sciences... I'm also into literature, and I'd like to learn more about philosophy, and my friend insisted like crazy that I post an introduction, which I'm no good at.... so yeah.

(so there, Iunior, done =P)

Posted

Hello! =)

My name is nancy, I'm still in high school... I am interested in just about everything, mostly mathematics and the sciences... I'm also into literature, and I'd like to learn more about philosophy, and my friend insisted like crazy that I post an introduction, which I'm no good at.... so yeah.

(so there, Iunior, done =P)

Posted

Welcome to TGL, uninspired...! :welcome:

You can ask any question about mathematics, sciences, and philosophy here!

If you have problem with your Extended Essay or Theory of Knowledge essay then you can ask us. We can try to offer you ideas. :)

Posted

Welcome, uninspired. Hopefully TGL will inspire you. :)

Posted

Hi all,

My name is Dave, I'm a middle school teacher in Oklahoma, and I have been immersed in the writing of the stoics recently, which is, indirectly, how I came to find this place.

Posted

Welcome, djwalker. :welcome:

Posted

Welcome, Dave. I hope you enjoy the site and get involved.

Posted

Hi, I'm Conrad.

I don't know as much about philosophy as I would like to know. I'm applying to law school for next year, and am... between jobs right now. So I'm taking the extra time to broaden my horizons as much as I can, as opposed to just getting fatter and wasting week after week doing basically... nothing.

I have a blog of my own, and I also have linked to the Studi Galileiani from mine.

Posted

Welcome to TGL, Conrad. I guess you'll be hoping to avoid any dwarves but feel free to get involved.

Posted

Welcome to TGL, Conrad. I guess you'll be hoping to avoid any dwarves but feel free to get involved.

Somehow I think I might have missed an inside joke.

Posted

Ah, i thought it was common knowledge that dwarves and goblins are mortal enemies. Maybe i read Lord of the Rings too many times as a kid...