This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Introduce yourself here...

924 posts in this topic

Posted

Ah, i thought it was common knowledge that dwarves and goblins are mortal enemies. Maybe i read Lord of the Rings[/i'] too many times as a kid...

Oh. Okay. you know, that's the second time something like that has happened to me when introducing myself on a forum? I mean, I'm no stranger to Lord of the Rings (I'm an active RPG gamer- dwarves and goblins are my bread and butter!), but I've used the "Random Goblin" moniker for so long that it has ceased to have any sort of context for me other than my online name.

I guess I'll mosey over to the "explain your name" thread.

Posted

Hi there, this is Christos from Boston. I found you via an advertisement posted elsewhere for the recent Mun

Posted

Welcome to TGL, Christos. I hope you'll get involved as well as reading - speaking of which, there's a new interview you might enjoy also.

Posted

Hi everybody; I found a link to this site in another forum I frequent and being the nosey person I am, I had to come and have a look. I'll probably lurk around the literature forum most often. Looking forward to debating with you all.

:D

Posted

Welcome to TGL. David will be happy if you get involved with Literature so jump right in.

Posted

Yes, David will. Nice avatar, btw. :o

Posted

Hi all! Found TGL when looking for updates to Hugo's "Introducing Philosophy Series", which enjoyed some years ago. Seeing the index of the Academy & the manuscripts you've up made joining a given. Other than being an eternal student of these topics spend the remainder of my time doing material physics, excited to dive into the respective boards.

-Anssi

Posted

Welcome to TGL, Perennial. Look forward to seeing you in the fora. :)

Posted

Welcome to TGl, Perennial.

Posted

Greetings to everyone. I stumbled upon this site whilst I was finding materials on post-modernism.

Looking forward to reading more from the galilean library.

Posted

Hey all,

I've been lurking here for a couple months and finally decided to register. I don't know if I'll find anything to post about, but since I lurk here almost every day, I'd just as soon be registered here too.

Fence

Posted

Let me inform you that trolling is not welcome here. If you intend on posting and joining in the conversations please do. But, if you are here to read and take up space then find another place to visit, or discontinue your membership. Do not take this as condescending. I am being up front. Many people have joined, and then never take part in the dialogue. Therefore, their membership is revoked and they are removed from the member list. Please enjoy and engage with the crowd. We all love to learn and even re-learn when possible. Why join if you are not going to use this opportunity? I personally want Hugo to keep the place up and running, and those that are fly by night, and join any old forum-understand the ways of The Galilean Library.

By the way what are topics that interest you?

regards, Da Fire

Posted

Da Fire,

Hmm, quite a welcome. I guess that doesn't bode well for my lasting very long here.

I just read about the non-posting bit right after I posted when I went to the private areas.

I'd love to join in but the requirements to posting seem pretty high. It's not my intent to take up valuable space here, but I sure can't promise profuse posting based on my first experience here.

Posted

Da Fire,

Hmm, quite a welcome. I've never been asked to leave on my first post on a board before. Usually, people try to explain the lay of the land before they threaten to boot you out. :p

I guess that doesn't bode well for my lasting very long here. :(

Quite a catch-22 as well. Once I joined and posted my first intro. post, I went to the private areas and found that a lack of posting can get you booted. It might be easier on those of us who are deciding to register if that part is made up-front.

I'd love to join in but the requirements to posting seem pretty high. It's not my intent to take up valuable space here, but I sure can't promise profuse posting based on my first experience here.

I have quite a few opinions about this place, having visited here for quite a while,

Posted

Welcome to Alpha and Fencesitter. You'll both learn more if you get involved, i expect.

Posted

I can certainly attest to that. I knew nothing about philosophy when I joined, and still know very little, but I have certainly learned one heck of a lot more by holding my breath and jumping in than I ever would have just reading what others post. I've occasionally gotten my head handed back to me - but that's just part of the deal. You never learn anything if you don't make mistakes. And my head is still intact - these guys have the nicest way of handing you your head I've ever seen. :p

Posted

You never learn anything if you don't make mistakes.

Aye, and there's actually a good reason to suppose that this must always be the case (but that's another discussion). The proper place to do damage to heads is the rugby field, of course.

Posted

Or running full-tilt into the outfield wall to catch a fly ball. Or colliding with another outfielder to do same. Or bowling over the catcher to make the run. Or beaning the batter with the ball if he's leaning too far over the plate. Or..... (And they say baseball is a safe sport!) :wink:

Posted

2 words

Judo

and

Head-dive

Do some research on uchi mata, and think what it would be like to be dumped on your head with an extra 50-160 kg strapped to your back :shock:

Posted

Let me inform you that trolling is not welcome here. If you intend on posting and joining in the conversations please do. But, if you are here to read and take up space then find another place to visit, or discontinue your membership. Do not take this as condescending. I am being up front. Many people have joined, and then never take part in the dialogue. Therefore, their membership is revoked and they are removed from the member list. Please enjoy and engage with the crowd. We all love to learn and even re-learn when possible. Why join if you are not going to use this opportunity? I personally want Hugo to keep the place up and running, and those that are fly by night, and join any old forum-understand the ways of The Galilean Library.

By the way what are topics that interest you?

regards, Da Fire

Ok, Da Fire, my handle is now on 3 of the 8 topics on the front page in the gymnasium. Bring the learning on! :wink:

I learn from the dialectic. Most topics interest me.

Thanks for the welcome, Hugo Holbling and Barefoot Bree.

Fence

Posted

Welcome to Alpha and Fencesitter. You'll both learn more if you get involved, i expect.

Of course I'll get involved in discussion as soon as time permits; my occupation hardly gives me enough time to even rest.

Posted

Welcome to Alpha and Fencesitter. You'll both learn more if you get involved' date=' i expect.[/quote']

Of course I'll get involved in discussion as soon as time permits; my occupation hardly gives me enough time to even rest.

Mine, too. :(

Posted

Are you too a researcher who has to do research and to profess?

Posted

Are you too a researcher who has to do research and to profess?

Hi Alpha! Always nice to hear someone battling the same elements! What's your 'field'?

Posted

Hi Perennial. My field's mostly humanities.