This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Introduce yourself here...

924 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Perennial. My field's mostly humanities.

.... I'm from the physics end, someone should add a warning to research & teaching about the "diverging time usage problems". Or well, likely applies to anything done 'proper'.

Posted

Hello! My name is Ensign Steve. I don't know how much membership overlap there is between here and the other forums, so just in case, I'll give the short version:

I'm an airman in the US Air Force.

I am a student of computer science.

I really like Star Trek.

That is all.

Posted

Hi! I'm Ensign Steve.

I'm an airman in the US Air Force.

I'm a student of computer science.

I really like Star Trek.

That is all.

Posted

Hello Ensign Steve,

Welcome to TGL!

I've always been a fan of the original series of star trek (i especially loved the way they, and all old sci fi movies/shows, implied special effects). I can't say i ever got into the newer series, but thats probably because i never really watched them. Theres a new series showing here now, 'Enterprise' or something like that... maybe i'll give that a shot.

Posted

[geek]

Ah Ensign, I see you have been reassigned USS Galileo. Science and exploration were always your strong points.

Good to have you aboard.

Romulan Ale aplenty if we go into the Neutral Zone again.

[/geek]

-Scott(y)

Posted

Ensign Steve!!! Good to see you again! How's the other half?

Posted

*salutes Ensign Steve :salut: *

Posted

Angakuk here. I got here by following a trail of breadcrumbs from Hugo's Intro to Philosophy series on Ebla. I participate in several online forums, always under the name of Angakuk.

I am a Lutheran country preacher, serving two small rural congregations in the Midwestern United States. My interests are very eclectic and include; Anthropology, Archeology, History, Biblical Studies, Theology, Ethics, Philosophy, Current Events, Science Fiction & Fantasy Literature, Historical & Adventure Fiction. I have a fairly extensive library, reflective of my interests, most of which is at least 20 years out of date. I have virually no library access and am very miserly with regard to new book purchases. Having recently acquired broadband internet access I am avidly employing online resources, including this forum, to update my personal knowledge base. I enjoy a lively discussion and I look forward to participating on the board whenever I think I have something to add to the conversation.

My username is Inupiaq for shaman, and reflects my brief tenure as a pastor in two Alaskan Inupiat villages.

Posted

Welcome, Angakuk. We even have a philosophy of archaelogy thread going, so with all your interests you should feel quite at home here.

Posted

I stumbled across this forum because at Aegeanet somebody posted a link here. I read Hugo's "Philosophy & Archaeology" posts and found them quite good.

In fact, I once acquired a master's degree in Philosophy (must have been centuries ago) and now I am more an amateur interested in archaeology.

I noticed that serious true scientific archaeologists nowadays shy away from "telling stories". I am not sure if you can do anything about those pre-historic people but tell stories about them. Still those stories may be better of worse, and I am interested to find out what makes good stories.

For now I look for inspiration on these pages.

Posted

Welcome to TGL. I'm glad at least someone is reading the archaeology stuff. I'll be writing something about objectivity in history in the near future so you might find that interesting, too.

Posted

Hugo,

I am reading it also. Keep up the good work.

Posted

I'll be reading and joining the discussion too, Hugo.

Posted

Asio, all!

I've been involved in rather intense and continuous debate on various forums throughout the net for a few years now on a wide variety of subjects. As the time has passed, I've become steadily more disillusioned and dissapointed in the general populus to the point where, two months ago, I announced my resignation from all the forums I was involved in and shut down my two weblogs on philosophy & politics and science & religion.

At the time, a friend whose words I hold in fair regard adviced me to stop by this forum. I did, and it appealed to me then, but I opted to continue my hiatus. I've spend the last two months reading, resting, and thinking, and I feel like I'm ready to begin my hobby again, but with a limited audience. As Luke wrote (and I paraphrase), don't cast your pearls before swine.

Whether or not I wil have any pearls to offer what appears to be the very high standard of folk on this forum, we will soon see.

I'm glad to be here and looking forward to growing here.

Posted

Welcome, HRE! We look forward to your contributions, and thank you for your accolades. :cheers:

Posted

Welcome, HRE. Hopefully you'll find things different here and will get involved.

Posted

:welcome: HRE.

Posted

Hey everyone.

I came upon this site when I was looking for a forum on the philosophy of science. We had been studying it in our philosophy class at school, and I found it very interesting. It struck me how un-concrete the truth of science was, and it really added to the study of the sciences themself. It was like they suddenly transformed into creative pursuits, an art.

I'll introduce a little about myself. I have 5 exams to go before I have finished my secondary education (!), and afterwards I hope to go to study Science (mathematics, physics and philosophy of science) at university. I have no ambitions for what to do after, but hey! Its exciting to go do something you like and then see where it might take you.

Right after school, on the break between school and university, I hope to get a part time job in a little cafe. There is something very comforting about those places. I also hope to turn into a cycling machine, because I would like to ride to uni most days, and it is about one hours ride each way.

Basically, my interests are mathematics, physics, philosophy, and I am learning guitar at the moment. I'm also starting to get attracted to things like writing, now that there is no force making me do it for, say, English class. One of the reasons I joined the forum was so that I could develop my writing skills!

But, on the whole, Id really just like to make some nice friends, and I dont doubt that I will in this place!

-Im(z) (Also known sometimes as Michael)

Posted

Welcome to TGL, Michael. I've said before here that writing out our ideas and arguments is a good way to check whether we understand them ourselves, so i encourage you to join in. Hopefully the discussions we have here will help you when you get to university (and after), too.

Posted

Hello, the Academy.

Hugo invited me here, from the Internet Infidels forum, coming to my aid in respect of an 'A' level assignment. As far as personal history goes, I used to work. Then I went mad - schizophrenia - but with the help of drugs and hospitals and sympathetic staff I have achieved my current borderline status. Insanity is scary, but it does make you wonder about some of the big questions in life: what is truth, what is reality, how can we effectively distinguish between them and illusion? I decided to learn some philosophy, rather than reinvent wheels greater minds than mine have already equipped with spokes, axles, tyres and brakes. So here I am, a little daunted by the erudition of the contributors I have so far read, but nevertheless excited by the journey in front of me.

Best wishes to you all.

Waylander.

Posted

So here I am, a little daunted by the erudition of the contributors I have so far read, but nevertheless excited by the journey in front of me.
Welcome aboard, Waylander. We're all on this journey together, just that a few people have been on it for longer than others. I look forward to seeing you on the boards.

Posted

Hi everyone, my real name is Duncan, this handle's been with me for a long time now, I suppose it's not meant to be antagonistic but I do like a little mischief from time to time (don't worry, I'm well behaved on the internet).

I'm living in China at the moment, studying the language, but will return to my home in Sydney Australia to resume my honours study there in archaeology in two months, specifically Chinese archaeology. Being in this country for a year, which has some very.... peculiar views on society, culture, progress and history has made me question a lot of the assumptions that build the theoretical edifice that we Westerners use in academia, and led me to the Philosophy of Science forums (and of course, to the archaeology stuff - please keep that thread alive!). I know a fair amount of archaeological theory, but not the philosophy and specifically the philosophy of science that underpins it. Hence, why I'm here.

A good friend of mine (also an archaeologist) said if he didn't enjoy digging so much he would have hung up his trowel (so to speak) and gone back to class to major in philosophy. His reason - he found that good philosophers could open up the heart of an argument, examine its pieces like clockwork, and put it back together again without damaging it at all. I think he's dead on the money and I hope that I can pick up my dissecting skills here.

Duncan

P.S. The tiny picture is of V. Gordon Childe.... a man who we toast in many drunken moments at the uni bar.

Posted

Welcome to TGL, Duncan. You might like to invite some of your fellow students but it sounds like you'll fit right in here. Feel free to tell us a little about your experiences in China in another discussion, if you like. Here's hoping you're a Warratahs fan and that they get taken to pieces by Auckland and the mighty Waikato Chiefs.

Posted

Hello all!

I came across this site a couple of days ago, but due to my extremely worn-down short-time memory I can't remember how. Anyway, I read a bit of your introduction to philosophy, and I felt I quite liked it.

My problem is that I have often had periods of fascination when it comes to philosophy, but I have never managed to get past the basics of the subject itself, and so I feel like whatever knowledge I might have about individual philosophers/philosophies is inadequate since I have more or less no context to place it in. In addition, my fascination often fades away when I encounter "impossible" texts, which I am hoping will change as I grasp the basics better.

Anyway; apart from surfing the web and forgetting things, I attend an upper secondary school, work as a social assistant, work out at the gym and hunt and ski when the season is right. I'm also working on a magazine and a "theatrical" show outside school along with some of the other graduating students of my school - the other Norwegians on the forum will understand what "russeavis" and "russerevy" are.

I look forward to participating in your virtual reality!

Posted

Welcome facnihil, and please feel free to join in. :)