This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Introduce yourself here...

924 posts in this topic

Posted

Welcome, er... back. I guess the arrival of God clears up most of the discussions in Religious Studies[/i'] at a stroke...

Yes, I'll be sure to set things in order there once I'm done clearing up global warming.

Yours in divinity:

Mason.

Posted

Hello all.

:wink:

Posted

Welcome, Saudade. Why not tell us a little more about yourself?

Angakuk

Posted

Hello everybody. The Academy appears to be a place where intelligent and learned people discuss interesting subjects. I hope it can accommodate meagre peasant folk like me.

Posted

Hello cragwolf,

Welcome to the Academy. Based on your posts in the Can Computers Think thread I would say that you certainly have something to contribute, and the ability to make the contribution. Don't hesitate to step right in to an ongoing discussion or even start one of your own.

Angakuk

Posted

Hi everyone. Just found this site today. Great message board. :notworthy:

Posted

:welcome: Odin.

Posted

I expect to hang out mostly in the philosophy forum. I've been reading encyclopedias since I was a teenager, more recently the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Some thinkers I'm interested in at the moment: Wittgenstein, John Searle, John Perry.

Posted

Welcome to TGL, Fred.

Posted

I am a writer, free-thinker, and seeker of the Truth.

Posted

Ah, another rugby fan. Welcome to TGL, RR.

Posted

I found this page accidentally :wink:

I've read many different things in the past 9 years dealing with Philosophy, ranging from Diantetics, to the Four Agreements. I found Scientology's writings to be suppressive in their viewpoint, so I moved on to other 'open minded' ideas.

I've read parts of the Tao; some Buddhist texts; both Matrix and Philosophy books; the Four Agreements; some of 'the Dancing Wu Li Masters'; The Healing Spirit by Enid Vien; God's Debris; Scientology texts from xenu.net; the Pilot's writings; Simon Hawke's sci-fi books dealing with time travel, and more that is not readily remembered right now.

I like abstract conceptual ideas, most recently I found it to be true for me that 'God is', and that anything added to that sentence immediately makes it untrue. I feel that God is an infinite concept, unaware of it's own existence, yet aware of everything else. This presents a problem in that I don't find God to be in control of anything, instead God is the source of everything, life included; a sort of energy spring. So, to conclude what was to be a short post, I say God Is. :idea:

Posted

and I got here via a post on del.icio.us.

Posted

Welcome, jdw242. What is "del.icio.us?"

Posted

a social bookmarking site that has an RSS feed that I follow daily.

Posted

Welcome jdw242! You have a very interesting background. I hope you have a great time here.

Posted

thanks! if I can make time to visit regularly I'll be doing good.

Posted

Hi Everyone, I'm JC, and you can call me Justin. I am 21 yrs old, major in linguistics and minor in mathematics. I'm from the Philippines and I moved here in the New Jersey, US. I found this website right from philosophyforums.com. I am a very curious person, and I like to tackle on philosophical discussions every now and then. For me, philosophy is essential, since it is a sincere human immersion beyond the confines of each and our very own caves. Well, that's all. Thanks.

Posted

Welcome to TGL, Justin.

Posted

Since this forum is academic, I guess I should post about my academic background..

I'm 17. I made a lot of stupid mistakes in my early years of high school and middle school as far as school selection goes.. I was a decent student, but didn't really care, as long as I graduated. In middle school and every year of high school up until my current junior year, I was homeschooled. I used the internet excessively in middle school, so literacy has never come as a roadblock for me.

Hitting junior year was a turning point because I realized that my education could not go on the way it was. Following this pursuit I transferred to a local public high school. Many of my homeschool credits were not accepted, putting me back in the 9th grade. Thus, I am currently going to a charter school, but will transfer back next year. I will definitely be lower, grade-wise, than I should be, but this doesn't bother me any because it's what I have to do. Hopefully I can retain junior status with enough work and only have to spend an extra year.

Charter school has changed my view on education. I doubt that in an intellectual forum such as this one the concept of a charter school is alien, but it's a "self-paced" school. I have learned, through trial and error, what I will become if I do not focus.

At a local public high school, everyone is focused because they're forced to, but how focused they may be can vary. At the charter school I go to, this isn't the case. Take every kid who sets the worst possible example of a high school student.. and make a school out of them. They can focus how much they want, which is, consequently, not at all. I get along with people, but I also stick out like a sore thumb among my peers, because I am the only one who cares.

I probably won't post much, because I learn more from reading here than I do posting. :)

-AMIV

Posted

Welcome to TGL, Alfred. You'll probably find that you actually learn more from getting involved than reading as this forces you to explain your opinions and ideas, which is one of the best tests of understanding (both of your own thinking and that of others).

Posted

I am 22 and attending college for a degree in Marketing. I am not terribly interested in my current major, rather I have found myself reading more about quantum reality, and more abstract subjects. I am not completely sure what Philosophy is, besides common knowledge, but I think it holds to key to what will hold my interest. Hopefully I will find other like - minded people who been on this journey before me.

Raleigh

Posted

:welcome: KallidValden.

I think you'll find that philosophy is love of wisdom, and feel free to share your own views.

Posted

When I read the introduction, that was one thing that struck my attention. "The love of wisdom", that really explains what I am looking for. In my search for wisdom I have studied evolutionary psychology, economics, and geopolitics. I try to derive the deeper understanding of everything, to take knowledge and derive wisdom. Through my personal research I have found that most people only see no further than the ends of their nose, so history continue to repeat itself. Or fail to the see the forest for the trees.

Raleigh

Posted

Have you had a chance to look over Hugo's Introduction to Philosophy series yet?