This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Steve Irwin

6 posts in this topic

Posted

If you don't already know, Steve Irwin died today. I well remember the complete awe with which i first watched him dive into the water to wrestle a salt water crocodile and the fact that he was hoping in the process to show people that crocodiles are not vermin to be shot or turned into handbags but can instead be relocated; in short, that we can live alongside dangerous predators without needing or wanting to kill them. I was younger then but his example taught me that the natural world could be respected without being feared or demonised and that i should try to understand animals better, thereby gaining a greater appreciation of the beauty and abundance that surrounds me. Since then, he had promoted this respect and tolerance to adults and children alike, as well as encouraging conservation and working tirelessly to explain and show why we should preserve, improve and protect the environment, choosing education over empty rhetoric.

Ray Mears may be right that television implicitly coerced Irwin into taking increasing risks or getting too close the animals he filmed and interacted with, in many respects like Timothy Treadwell, but for now i just want to add this inconsequential note to the chorus of others lamenting his death. As far as i'm concerned he was a great man, motivated by the best of intentions, and i'm gutted that he's gone. :Cry:

Posted

I shall miss Steve!

He showed great courage - in the best sense. He always knew how to approach the animals, what they were capable of and how to keep just out of range. It took knowledge, skill, athleticism and alertness. It wasn't the quite russian roulette that it might have appeared. Steve never depended on luck.

It's ironic that he was killed by a fish that was not attacking him or, as far as we know, even defending itself.

May his conservation work continue.

Posted

I just wanted to add this before it disappears from the shoutbox.

Who doesn't have death coming? The real question is what are you going to do with your life before death comes.

Posted

My father said a truism, when my Uncle Salvatore passed away:

The good guys go first.

I always found Irwin a riot, and I knew his show was more educational than anything, even if the selling point was the dangerous animals and Irwin's corny humor. Viewers ended up learning more, and that's the most important thing.

Posted

In addition to his contributions to conservation and efforts illustrating the overall magnificence of nature, changing the way view nature, was always impressed by his spirit and enthusiasm. He appeared to enjoy and focus to what he was doing like only a "childlike-mind" is able to, which consider one of the highest possible compliments and a way to live one's life hope could mimic.

The world feels emptier :( .