This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Happy New Year

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Just a few hours to go here so happy new year to everyone. I wish you a fine 2008. :)

Posted

Happy New Year, Hugo and everyone else.

Michael

Posted

Have a safe New Year's Eve, Galileans!

I will be preparing for the trip to the "Bash of the Year" at San Diego, where I've booked a room so I won't have to drive 3 hours back.

Posted

Happy New Year to all. Happy News Year as well.

Posted

Happy New Year!

I hope asteroid 2007 WD5 hits Mars on January 30th!

Just sayin'.

Posted

Happy new year to you too all!

Happy New Year!

I hope asteroid 2007 WD5 hits Mars on January 30th!

Just sayin'.

Btw - can you share your calculations for this interesting prediction?

best

Posted

Happy New Year! :)

Like a sane person, I stayed as far away as possible from the ball drop in Times Square. All the insane people, a fair proportion of the city's population, so it seems, turned out for this non-event, standing around in the square for up to ten hours in order to "experience" it. :D

Posted

Happy new year to you too all!

Btw - can you share your calculations for this interesting prediction?

best

Link

Posted

To all Galileans, have a great year ahead. Special greetings to Hugo.

Posted

Nice to see you Kkirilovv ...

Happy New Year from USA's left coast.

I'm starting off by cleaning out the refrigerator ... yucky, but YAY! when it's done.

:wave:

Posted

Actually, they've upped the probability since that article, davidm. See Mars Impact Probability Increases to 4 percent. Pretty cool, especially since Mars is so close to the Earth right now. And check out Mars in the sky, it's pretty bright :)

Posted

Happy 2008 to all!

All the best,

AllBlue

Posted

I'm sure my New Year's celebration was much more exciting than everybody else's was. :D I curled up on the couch at about 10:30 to try and finish my book after the wife went to bed, read for about an hour and then woke up at 1:30 to take myself to bed. Good times, good times.

Regardless of how you brought it in, 2008 should be a good year!

Posted

I celebrated with my wife, a bottle of wine, chips and dip and the Twilight Zone marathon on the Sci Fi channel. Fell asleep sometime around a 11 PM, woke up a little after 2 AM and went to bed. I am such a party animal.

Posted

Another year. Great. To be lived, I figure happiness and pleasures cannot solely be sought. The year will pan out as each of us are helping to make it so with our everyday thoughts and actions and I, too, will also assume the tedious tyranny of stomach and loin, of appetites and aversions, planning grandnesses and miseries as if those no-choice hustlings and bustlings were anything but the function of filling up time.

- - - -

Cant seem to find the shout thingmajig, so I'll just wish everyone a Happy New Year and leave it as that....

Posted

Another year. Great. To be lived, I figure happiness and pleasures cannot solely be sought. The year will pan out as each of us are helping to make it so with our everyday thoughts and actions and I, too, will also assume the tedious tyranny of stomach and loin, of appetites and aversions, planning grandnesses and miseries as if those no-choice hustlings and bustlings were anything but the function of filling up time.

- - - -

Cant seem to find the shout thingmajig, so I'll just wish everyone a Happy New Year and leave it as that....

Happy New Year, qualia. :)

We're in the process of redesigning the site to fit the new VBulletin software, so right now the Shoutbox is disabled. Not sure if it's coming back or not, but of course we do have Chat.

Posted

Inspired by the post of Qualia (I always get inspired by Qualia

Posted

... But why can't we see the big picture, from the supreme vantage point - the truth. All those floods and hurricanes, all those wars, all the musings of great poets and painters, all the centuries that have come and gone are no more or less important than a single kiss, than that moment when you gently let yourself go in my arms and we steal each other's breath....

This is lovely Kkirilovv. Connection with each other is the most important thing we have and the way you've expressed the moment of the kiss is stunning.

The part I've quoted above reminded me of something I read that Carl Sagan said about Earth and the photo taken of it by Voyager 2 when it was in the vicinity of Neptune and on its way out of the solar system.

Carl had a way of showing the definitively big picture. This is a good meditation for the new year also:

Posted

Actually, they've upped the probability since that article, davidm. See Mars Impact Probability Increases to 4 percent. Pretty cool, especially since Mars is so close to the Earth right now. And check out Mars in the sky, it's pretty bright :)

I reflected a little. I had seen that bright spot in the sky for weeks, but being busy with other things I did not give it much thought. In fact, I feared it was a satellite following me, cause it did seem to move, but maybe that was the clouds. (I dont often share all my secret paranoias in public but there you go)

Some of you people seem to be following/interested in Mars

Mars in proximity of the earth is associated with not-good times, and wars

by astrological mythology.

Do you have the map of mars orbit path over the centuries, and has it ever been in this planetary conjunction, and is there any historiacal correlation with war? (testing the hypothesis here)

thanks

PDM

Posted

You might not be here tomorrow but tomorrow is of no consequence because in that moment you have already allowed me to transcend centuries of history. You have freed me from life itself. That single moment is an eternity...

- its wonderful that people appreciate the romance of things (or imaginary things) especially in these days where we are all busy, overloaded, pragmatic and hardened up in one way or another, and romance is too often frowned upon

- you seem to capture only your side of things, as if you are confining your

appreciation to yourself, I wonder why (i mean the magic is likely to be reciprocal) Just wondering

-

Posted

Heh, I appreciate the romance. What great prose Kkirilovv and the Sagan quote uplifts my spirit. But my spirit can only take so much of that romanticism without quite a bit of salt :)

I'm reminded that my client's wife kind of has issues in that she wants everything to be upbeat and pleasant, and she just got angry at me for a moment the other day for "being negative". Well, sometimes I am negative, and that's no flaw. I'm like Escher, I see much of interest in the negative space. And, in my own defense, negation is the salt of life.

Posted

I am a little surprised that a few of you saw romance in my post. Romance wasn

Posted

From NYE party in San Diego

NewYears2008.jpg

I'm the guy in the back row holding his almighty beer cup, about to rain rhetorical alcohol.