This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Movies i've seen...

319 posts in this topic

Posted

The Bourne Ultimatum. I really like this series and this installment is a fine one - many intense chases, a fantastic and brutal fight scene, a nice plot, and some nice acting from the entire cast. The 'intelligence' of Bourne is ever present and my favorite aspect of the series. The opening scene, as is standard with the films, is a very well done escape sequence with Bourne directing another person enabling them to escape. Its just fun to watch the man work and Damon pretty much inhabits the character. Story wise, we have Bourne discovering who he is/was which results in one of the film's best line " Do you even know why they sent you to kill me" said to an assassin who appears to be just like Bourne. The line out of context is obviously not all that but considering the previous discoveries leading up to it and Damon's pitch perfect, world weary delivery, the line is a standout and sums up it film's theme well. Nice film and good to see the series holding up.

Posted

Premonition with Sandra Bullock

This film plays around with time. Bullock's character wakes up one day and gets word that her husband has died in a car wreck. The next day she wakes up and he's in the kitchen having breakfast. After a few days of going back and forth this way she tries to chart out what's going on with the intent of course of stopping the accident from happening if possible.

While I enjoyed watching it, Premonition can't compare with Memento. Should anyone even try this theme anymore? After Michelangelo created his David, artists pretty much let his sculpture stand as the best, and left off sculpting Davids. Memento is such a tightly paced, carefully plotted piece of time twisting, who could really top it? On the other hand, should anyone let respect for a previous incarnation of an idea stop them from working out and presenting their own?

Posted

While I enjoyed watching it, Premonition can't compare with Memento. Should anyone even try this theme anymore? After Michelangelo created his David, artists pretty much let his sculpture stand as the best, and left off sculpting Davids. Memento[/b'] is such a tightly paced, carefully plotted piece of time twisting, who could really top it? On the other hand, should anyone let respect for a previous incarnation of an idea stop them from working out and presenting their own?

Have you seen Primer?

Posted

Hi Rusty.

No I haven't seen Primer. What's the plot?

Posted

:lol:

Before Rusty should answer that near-impossible question, I recommend the movie as well. It was one of the 5 best of 2004, bar none! 8)

Posted

The movie is about two guys who invent something in their garage. That's about all I'll say - you'll just have to watch it to find out. It is very good, though. It's not about memory but the style is somewhat similar to Memento. You might like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, too, if you haven't seen that.

Posted

This would be my interpretation of the plot of the film

Posted

This would be my interpretation of the plot of the film

Posted

For your information, Spiderman 3 is terrible... Worst storytelling in a comic movie I've ever seen.
What about Fan 4 2?

Posted

I watched the Bourne Ultimatum which I thought was awesome, albeit, drastically different from the novel.

Posted

Cocaine Cowboys. Truly one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. Its about the explosion of drug trafficking/dealing in the 70's and 80's of Miami - initially focusing on the transporters (pilots who flew the drugs from Columbia to the U.S.) to some drug lords and one prominent killer. Very informative, quite devastating and very interesting. "Where did the money go" is the question that ends the film though it provides its own answer - into the city you see today.

Posted

Kj

Posted

No Country for Old Men. I saw this film last night and what a wonderful surprise. Perhaps, the best film of the year and one of the Coen brother's best. The film is based on a novel by Cormac McCarthy of the same name. The major plot of the film is fairly simple: Llewelyn Moss, a regular joe comes across a drug deal gone bad ( everyone is dead) and finds 2 million in cash. He decides to take the money which results in him being chased by a sociopath for hire ( Javier Bardem) - the very incarnation of nihilism if their was ever one. This is how things get rolling but the film is much more than this. Also, involved is a police sheriff Bell nearing retirement ( played by Tommy Lee Jones) who's unfortunate enough to have to deal with a spiraling mess. However, it is the subtext here that brings out the film true meaning: Sheriff Bell throughout the film ( from his opening narration to the final one) agonizes about the level of senseless violence now taking place in his part of the country and bemoans that he is over matched. In essence, it does not make sense and hints that the past might have been better. However, the film for all intents and purposes does not agree.

Human evil in all its current forms and apparent excessiveness has always been present. An idea one can draw from the film is that as you get older you see the world for what it really is but nevertheless we're all compelled to rationalize this away as a worsening or degradation of the times when it has always been present. That is, we're apt to see the crime, violence and senseless killing we experience as representative of a particular time - a worsening of the current world ( as opposed to the good old days) than for the reality - this is really how its always been. Thus, in the final analysis, the title of the film refers not to a single country but the world itself. In the end, the world really is not a place for old men. Incredibly bleak in outlook but wonderfully told.

P.S. This film has all the trade mark Coen humor and quirkiness all the while presenting a compelling and deep narrative. Excellent film.

Posted

Haneke's remake of Funny Games is out and getting exactly the same reaction from critics. Perhaps, because the film is the exact same ( or so they claim) shot for shot. Whatever the case I'm amused by the commercials for this version of the film as it portrays it as a dark comedy which the film is not. I think this is intentional - the situations are comical but the irony of it all is that it is not funny, in the least. People who go into this expecting a quirky, dark comedy are sorely mistaken and that is the point - Haneke is not letting you off clean. Needless to say, I'm disappointed in the rather predictable grandstanding by the film's detractors.

Posted (edited)

...Iron Man!

Just got home from the movie theaters, and I am still basking in the afterglow. After work today, I hightailed it to the nearest one that had closed captioning in Rancho Cucamonga, about 40 miles away. At first, at the window they told me the 4:00 pm showing was sold out. I persuaded them that, given their short-sightedness in scheduling only one showing with cc, I had to catch this one or wait until tomorrow. Luckily for me they had a heart and the manager gave the ticket dude the go-ahead. Once inside, I had to find the best seat to properly adjust the reflector for the captioning device that is mounted on the back wall. The problem was, the theater was packed full, except for the front row and a seat here and there. Yes, I sat in the front, and yeah, the captions were tinier than shit. It's hella focusing on the words, then back to the 1,000 x 1900 foot screen, and forth, but I refused to let this affect the movie experience.

Once the film started, I was immediately absorbed. Holy hell, Robert Downey, who I already thought of a great actor, was pitch perfect as the billionaire Tony Stark. At first, upon hearing that he was cast as Tony Stark, I had my reservations - shouldn't this billionaire playboy from the comics be a bit taller and a bit more dashing, say, like Errol Flynn?

ErrolFlynn.jpg

Suffice to say, Downey destroyed those reservations in a jiffy with his performance. Snappy mamet-like dialogue works like a charm when it's delivered with a devil-may-care attitude. I won't repeat the plot details here, but suffice to say, there's no meandering set-up. The suit shows up about 30 minutes in. It's both beautiful and ugly - realistic enough to make you believe a genius inventor could whip that up inside of 3 months of captivity in a cave.

The first act establishes the gravitas of Tony Stark - how a war merchant had a come-to-jesus moment and became a superhero. Later versions of the suit were amazing, and the scenes with the US Military aptly demonstrates the potential of the Iron suit.

Terrence Howard and Gwyneth Paltrow were also terrific in their supporting roles, and Jeff Bridges made me believe he was Shane Obdaiah. That easy Kris Kristofferson grin does not take anything away from his menacing stare.

Of course, there were flaws, such as the blurry action in the 3rd act was a bit too fast and too loose, but they did not detract much from the film. Jon Favereau should take a bow for not micromanaging - he found the correct mood and backed off enough to let the sfx guys to unleash their magic. That's the thing - I could not detect whether a scene had cgi or not. Brilliant.

Easily the best comic book adaptation since Batman Begins. :rock:

Credit should go to Marvel Comics for creating a great movie, and on their first try, no less. They hit on all the right notes (director who respects the source material, great casting, writers from Children of Men, ample budget, good marketing, etc., etc.) and hit a home run. Kudos!

One last thing: make sure you stay until the credits finish rolling - the final scene is for all you Iron Man fans out there! :grin2:

Edited by Campanella

Posted

Awesome, Campanella; you have me excited. I've been anticipating this movie for a while but there seems to be a lot of hit-or-miss with comic book adaptations. I loved "Batman Begins" too and am also looking forward to "The Dark Knight."

Posted

I hastened my trip to the theater based on Cam's review and am glad I did. Ironman has to be the coolest superhero. He is neither an awkward nerd like Spiderman and Superman nor does he have the personal issues of Batman - sure he has the archetypal history but he's just a cool billionaire, ladies man and Downey plays him to perfection. The effects were great, the plot good enough ( it can be accused of being thin),and the overall tone and humor pitch perfect. Good first effort by all involved.

Posted

Iron Man was solid good fun.

As was Speed Racer. The only thing I don't get is the claims that this movie is somehow groundbreaking. I thought that the special effects, while spectacular and probably the best of the year so far, were derivative of anime. And also, the story was poor, as can be expected from a show based on a children's cartoon from the 1960s, but you'd think they'd have something with actual verve and wit to go with the show. Instead it's just the usual "Follow your heart" kind of claptrap from a hundred sports movies. It was still a fun movie, but I'm confused why people want to rescue this from the trash bin of commercial cinema and claim it avant-garde.

Posted

films i have enjoyed watching recently are Sunshine, Solaris and The fountain. They are all thought prevoking films and i would highly recommend them all. They are all films that have left me feeling thoughtful and filled with a feeling of excitement. They are all a wonderful form of escapism. Sunshine has a basic story line where a crew on a space ship attempt to relight our dying sun (set far in the future). The interest arrises when they come accross the mysterious remains of the first ship sent on the same mision as theirs...

Solaris is a film that just astounded me and really made me think. It is based on a book of the same name, there is a proper review of it somewhere on this site i belieave. And the fountain really is a strange one and all i can say is that anyone who realy likes thought provoking films should watch this one.

anyone have ny other suggestions for films like that? i can't get enough of them, im thinking i might try that primer... :)

Posted

In the duel between Sex In The City and Ironman, I'm putting my money on Ironman.. :)

Posted

Until The Incredible Hulk and Kung Fu Panda enter the mix!

The dilemma!

Posted

I recently watched the screen adaptation of Stephen King's The Mist. What a wonderfully horrible and disturbing movie. I especially liked the overt religious content. Raises some surprising questions.

An ominous mist descends on a small town, where several of the residents are forced to hide in a convenience store, or face death from whatever is in the mist. In the confines of the convenience store, the psychology of people forced together under impending doom comes to the fore. Some becoming leaders, others going insane.

With twists and turns that will linger with you long after you've watched the movie, I can actually recommend giving this film, based on a novella by King, a watch.

Posted (edited)

I dont keep a tv in my dwelling, and in my city there are no cinemas (land's end)

The local dvd shop has a lot of crap movies, so I watch movies only occasionally

When I travel by plane long distance I watch as many as I can

I recently saw 'atonement' and 'the golden compass', of the latter I cant remember the end, someone on this forum told me that it does not have an end, so its not just that I fell asleep

I also watched' passage to India' a few days ago when traveling back, an old movie, by now, although time is relative

I was surprised that I had not come across that one before, thoroughly enjoyed it. Also watched 'om shanti om', relatively recent bollywood success, and I loved it too (but I hear that the main actor who is also producer or co producer, does not believe in reincarnation, which is a theme central to the plot, so I find that hard to accept)

In Italy I also saw the 'life of frida kahlo', for the second time

Enjoyed it too, I have visited her house in Coyoacan

I did not know that Frida slept with Trotsky before watching that movie

I hope I am not supposed to do a critique, just telling what movies I ve seen

I probably also seen other movies, just cant remember them all

Edited by Pgalaxy

Posted

For a 'mainstream' production and film The Mist was quite well done and I liked it. I recently watched The Mother which can be effectively summarized as James Bond trysts with a grandmother and her daughter and all the problems therein. Not sure if its good film but I feel like some detailed comments. The subject matter definitely is unconventional but is played straight, touching on issues of old age, death and loneliness along with the normal familial jealousy and dysfunctions. The daughter is played to needy perfection and the grandmother is also well acted - a woman, seemingly detached from the world itself wondering where her life went, floating by, a hindrance to her children. Note her dead response to her daughter's pathetic Freudian claim that her mother's lack of love is the reason for her current relationship dysfunction ( if the film intended this to be a quality deduction it failed). The reaction is bewilderment along with a half-hearted attempt at reassurance - one can see why the daughter would say such things but it is not reason alone for her behavior. Note also her reaction to her son who wants her not to be a problem because of her husband's death i.e live in a senior home and shut up. Her response is deft and unanswerable: Why should I not be difficult?

In any case, the mother' actions, at times extremely callous and conniving as well as 'liberating' (presumably) are robotic, sad, and pathetic. In plain terms, her life and her actions convey a disturbing banality - simply empty. While the subtext of the film can be read as the 'mother' struggling with old age and death now 'liberating' herself, she cannot in any sense be said to be liberated. It is emptiness now in a different form. Her relationship with Craig, of course, follows the usual pattern of awkward attraction (manipulation by Craig) to sex and the supposed 'liberating' effect of sleeping with a younger man. Whether or not this shallowness is of the writer or woman is immaterial - all the same, it leads to nothing much. Craig plays well, what is a loser - a chronically dependent libertine whose analysis of his behavior is wanting. According to him, he provides for women and gets nothing in return - as if cheating on your wife with another women and then sojourning with that woman's mother are self-less actions.

Posted (edited)

In the duel between Sex In The City and Ironman, I'm putting my money on Ironman.. :)

So I said that, and I went to the theater, paid my money, and saw Ironman, but I didn't enjoy it very much.

IRONMAN SPOILER ALERT

The weird thing is that I like Robert Downey, Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow and especially Jeff Bridges. But not in this. This movie is really all about the suits. There are different suits built for different reasons, and it seemed to me that the suit building scenes took up too much time and derailed the plot. Also, Arab terrorists as bad guys is pretty lame at this point. The main bad guy, Bridges, is really just a bad man, not Ironman's nemesis. The chase scene which you think might be good (guy in suit outflies US Air Force planes) was somehow not very exciting although it gave me a smidge of vertigo. Now I'm going to get petty. There was one joke that made me laugh but it was so quick that I think it slipped by all the teenaged boys who made up most of the rest of the audience because nobody else laughed. And that was really it, no more real humor. Also I wanted to holler at the screen at one point, "Gwyneth, if you're rushing to save your man, take off the goddam 6 inch heels!" Granted she can walk fairly fast in them apparently, but she needed to run!!! And I don't know if they wrote the speech in which Gwyneth says the same things several times to Downey, or if she was ad libbing, but it was just silly and embarrassing and not in the way they wanted it to be.

There were other things that were just stupid with this movie, but you get the gist. The only thing I can think is that this movie was made to set the scene for the coming Ironman franchise. I hope they get better writers.

I saw Ironman the weekend before last. This past weekend we rented Unbreakable. Now that's a great superhero movie! M. Night to my rescue!

Edited by AllBlue
Adding movie title