This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

What books are you reading now?

361 posts in this topic

Posted

Why not make a thread and hash it out, deadcandance? Like I told Mosaic, you understand something better if you attempt to write about it in your words, irrespective of the fact whether you endorse or condemn it. Poststructuralism is context-dependent, and that context is the preceding schools of thought, structuralism, phenomenology, hermeneutics, and so on.

Or better yet: do a search for poststructuralism on this board and see if you can't find anything worth reading.

Posted (edited)

Camp, perhaps in the future I shall attempt a post on post-structuralism, but for now I'll just continue reading: I don't want to embarrass myself. Particularly, very strongly though not exclusively, with Gilles Deleuze, I get the sense of something radically scandalous, sinister going on, something that has the potential to change the way I see philosophy and the world, Hugo Hobling's quote from Cities of the Plain come to mind:"In everything that he'd ever thought about the world and his life in it he'd been wrong." If it gets too uncomfortable though, I'm sure I will find a way to repress his greater insights......

180px-Goya-El_sue%C3%B1o_de_la_raz%C3%B3n.jpg

Edited by DeadCanDance

Posted

Elegance of the hedgehog

Posted

DCD your image says: "The dream of reason, creates monsters" or "Dreaming of reason, produces monsters".

My sources for the translation?... myself:mrgreen:. I am a native spanish speaker

Posted (edited)

I am, unfortunately only monolingual, but I was under the impression that the image, one of Goya's more well known works of art, said: "The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters."

I came across the following here: http://despabilarse.blogspot.com/2006/06/dream-of-reason.html

"I should like to rethink the interpretation of Goya’s title for the work “El sue

Edited by DeadCanDance

Posted

The image was thrown in there to affirm my xenophobia; the gentleman across the desk or table is me, the demonic creatures that have seemingly come to plague him were meant to be a representation of Deleuze's philosophy......

Posted

The image was thrown in there to affirm my xenophobia; the gentleman across the desk or table is me, the demonic creatures that have seemingly come to plague him were meant to be a representation of Deleuze's philosophy......

jajaja, well not exactly xenophobia since you do not fear the french... unless descartes, pascal, sartre dislike(or fear? since phobia is "fear") you as well:-D.

I thought that painting was from Goya, but I was not very sure.

Posted

Now I am reading Huxley Brave New World and Azzarello The joker Graphic Novel (I am preparing a gigantic review for this one, with comparisons of other joker portrayals by eminent authors Like Moore and Morrison)

Posted

Finished Ideas Have Consequences, am going to put to rest the whole structuralism thing for a while, and got about half way through Vol. 2 of Popper's work; I am not a systematic reader, in other words, I can't for the life of me finish a damn book from front to cover, my manic (in relation to reading) temperament gets the best of me.....

I am rereading Camus' The Rebel; I read it at about seventeen, long before I had the maturity to understand it, and now that I am older and am reading it, I am blown away!

Posted

I have been going through Dostoyevski's The Brothers Karamazov recently, and am about halfway through. I've certainly enjoyed it so far. The only book by Dostoyevski I'd read previously was Notes from Underground, which I also enjoyed immensely.

Posted

"Discours sur les sciences et les arts" by Rousseau and "Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung" by Schopenhauer. In their original language, it is a most painful task... every five seconds I must search a word in the dictionary:thumbdown:

Posted

I refrained from reading the deutsch schopenhauer masterpiece, until the english translation that I ordered from ebay arrives.

For now I am doing a dual reading of "The Fourfold Root..." the original, plus the english version. It is much more comfortable and pleasant:p

I reccomend this to you too Campanella, to read the two versions at the same time.:-)

Posted

Why I cannot edit my older posts:|, I have to keep making new ones.

Well I am reading now several articles about the most respected science theories: Quantum Mechanics and its interpretations, big bang, general relativity, quantum field theory, string theory and evolution.

I am also reading short histories of China and Japan

And I am halfway through russell's history of western philosophy.

The other readings I have left them for a while until I finish my annoying certificate, and hopefully I will also be able to post some interesting topics for the galileans, the which must feel dissapointed of me, since I have not contributed much:thumbdown:.

8-)

Posted

I reccomend this to you too Campanella, to read the two versions at the same time.:-)

Paulus

:mrgreen: my german is worse than my french, which is non-existent, but at least my spanish is passable. Or so they say at work. :grin2:

The problem is, as I've often said, only German philosophy is a series of footnotes to Plato, whereas French philosophy is a bad translation of German philosophy, and English philosophy is the refutation of a bad translation of French philosophy. American philosophy? Merely printed by the editors of the Wall Street Journal for the Readers Digest audience. :twisted:

I've read the Fourfold years ago, but to study it in german and english, while a far richer experience, would no doubt set me back years.

You should post reviews of the books you read - then you won't feel guilty for not contributing to TGL.

Posted

Why I cannot edit my older posts:|, I have to keep making new ones.

Well I am reading now several articles about the most respected science theories: Quantum Mechanics and its interpretations, big bang, general relativity, quantum field theory, string theory and evolution.

I am also reading short histories of China and Japan

And I am halfway through russell's history of western philosophy.

The other readings I have left them for a while until I finish my annoying certificate, and hopefully I will also be able to post some interesting topics for the galileans, the which must feel dissapointed of me, since I have not contributed much:thumbdown:.

8-)

As Campanella said, why not post reviews of the books you are reading? Also, I don't know what papers you are reading on the scientific subjects you mentioned, but have you seen the Philosophy of Science archive? It's got tons of great stuff on those very subjects.

Also, we are still waiting for you to post your fiction. :)

Posted (edited)

:mrgreen: Well I have various plans and drafts about the following articles:

WARNING: I cannot promise that I will post all of them or even develop them, or whatever:?... so do not hope please:p.

• Islamic golden age and 12th century Latin Translations
  • Homosexuality (historic, social, cultural and scientific aspect)
  • Vegetarianism (Animal rights, hedonism, utilitarianism, etc.)
  • Transhumanism
  • Russian Literature: The Golden Age
  • Extraterrestrial life and ethics
  • The Dystopian Novel
  • Scientism
  • Posidonius short sketch
  • Short essay concerning Dignity
  • An essay on “essay”
  • On Utilitarianism
  • For/Against Home-schooling
  • Marriage, polygamy, monogamy
  • Culture Wars
  • Comics
  • Copyright
  • Anime
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Internet

Some of these I may propose them as essays for the main page, but of course a detailed critique and analysis must be made by the council of TLG.

Probaly the one about comics and anime, I think, would look very good and almost surprising in the main page Media & Literature Section. After all there is still many persons, of intellectuals tendencies, that most of the time relate those mediums to childish violence and sexual vulgarity. My father is an example of that:p

About the Reviews

I was working a couple of days ago, on a review for The Joker Graphic Novel (2008) and for Serial Lain (anime) and nowI am almost finished.8-)

Just wait a little longer bitte!

Davidm, I am reading articles from the encyclopedia of philosophy, standford encyclopedia and the supposed "excellent" articles of wikipedia, etc.

About the fiction, I thought about writing a story about a character having a full developed conscience inside a dream of a third person, is a bit complex and silly. Also the famous conscience, self, etc. is always a shaky ground:shock:

Campanella, thanks for the humour!

By the way, what did you meant about reading in dual would set you back? do you mean that it would take time away from imrpoving in other philosophical areas, etc?:mrgreen:

P.d: Campanella, how do you shade your characters? traditional or computer? Orcus looks good and the inking is a bit frank millerian or mignolian :D

Edited by Paulus

Posted

:

Campanella, thanks for the humour!

By the way, what did you meant about reading in dual would set you back? do you mean that it would take time away from imrpoving in other philosophical areas, etc?:mrgreen:

Just that I would not be able to finish reading the books in both languages on account of being unfamiliar with one of them.

P.d: Campanella, how do you shade your characters? traditional or computer? Orcus looks good and the inking is a bit frank millerian or mignolian :D

Traditional. My pen is far swiftier than the mouse. Coloring in photoshop is terribly time-consuming, close to 10 times as long as penciling and inking the drawing altogether. :indifferent:

Posted

Paulus, check out The Philosophy of Science Archive.

As to your fiction, post it, and I will critique it. :twisted:

Seriously, I will give it a thoughtful read and good advice. :)

Posted

As to your fiction, post it, and I will critique it. :twisted: Seriously, I will give it a thoughtful read and good advice. :)

Hey... you promised you would do mine a long time ago! :evil:

Posted (edited)

As to your fiction, post it, and I will critique it. :twisted: Seriously, I will give it a thoughtful read and good advice. :)

Hey... you promised you would do mine a long time ago! :evil:

You're right. :( I will do it in the next day or two. I actually had a whole thing written out and then I lost it. :|

ETA: See my own Creative Writing Update.

Edited by davidm

Posted

I finished The Brothers Karamazov, which I found to be truly excellent, and am currently working on The Sickness Unto Death by Kierkegaard.

Posted

As to your fiction, post it, and I will critique it.

Careful: others might be tempted to take you up on this.

I am nearing entry into the hinterlands of nontrivial free time for the first time in almost two years. Along with reading some Kafka and breaking the seal on Nevanlinna's Introduction to Complex Analysis, I will complete a short story for which I've been taking notes for too long. I'll post to the Creative Writing forum and might hope for some sagacious words. (Of course, more time means a fuller contribution to TGL, including reading in the Creative Writing forum.)

Posted

Also, for genre writers (some meaty discussion to be had there) looking for critical evaluation, try Critters Writers Workshop. I participated irregularly (not quite the way to do Critters, I might add) many years ago, and it's set up very well.

Posted (edited)

.....putting down Camus, the great moralist......I am debating what to read next, there are always at least several things calling for my attention:

I have been wanting to read my ordered copy from Amazon, Rorty's Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature; just need the patience; recently ordered Jorge Borges The Book of Imaginary Beings.......

Edited by DeadCanDance