This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

How did you get here?

136 posts in this topic

Posted

I found this site searching for Philosophy articles and forums...I looked around it for a bit and decided to join and gain others insight on, so far, some very interesting topics.

Posted

I'm an old hand at the Philosophy Now bear-garden, and the good Thomas recommended me to you all. I've lurked for about a month, and liked what I looked at.

Mick

Posted

Ah, you managed to make a post. :)

What area(s) of Philosophy are you most interested in?

Posted

Hope you get involved mickthinks and being notified by this forum by one of our best puts yourself in a kindly light :D Welcome aboard!

Posted

Thanks! My specialities used to be logic and science, but I am currently fascinated by language and ethics. The only philosophy greats I have read in the last 5 years are Wittgenstein and Nietzsche. I think W was definitely onto something, but N just seems off his head!

Posted

You know Cam's going to bitch slap you silly, now, don't you?

Posted

Yes - welcome!

They say discretion is the better part of valour - but you've demonstrated true grit!

Posted

Ooooeerr! :o

Posted

Ooooeerr! :o

Hello Mick:

Glad that you've decided to come aboard. I think you'll find the company at this Academy is congenial, and that the 'typical' discussion here is intellectually sophisticated, challenging, and entertaining.

Best Wishes:

Thomas.

Posted

I just heard from my friend. There are nice info here! thanks for the sharing!

Posted

one of users here leaked url to someone else and I saw it.

Posted

Recently I joined a science related board, because I have developed what I believe is an original conceptual framework that is different from special relativity. Rather than diving straight in with my ideas, I started by querying a discrepancy I'd noticed in Einstein's original paper on SR. Then I posted a thought experiment. Initially my posts received an active interest, but when I posted my conceptual framework it died a death. Basically they were not interested. A helpful moderator, Nereid, kindly suggested that this site would be more suitable for the discusion of abstract ideas about the cosmos. So here I am.

Posted

It's a bit of a haze, but I'm pretty sure I was drugged by davidm, piled into a van, and dumped here with a copy of The Conquest of Bread and explicit instructions to contribute something on politics or biology "or the wombat will get it." And I don't even own a wombat. :?

In short, davidm told me about it.

Posted

I'm afraid some signals got crossed and the wombat got it, anyway. :(

Posted

Recently I joined a science related board, because I have developed what I believe is an original conceptual framework that is different from special relativity. Rather than diving straight in with my ideas, I started by querying a discrepancy I'd noticed in Einstein's original paper on SR. Then I posted a thought experiment. Initially my posts received an active interest, but when I posted my conceptual framework it died a death. Basically they were not interested. A helpful moderator, Nereid, kindly suggested that this site would be more suitable for the discusion of abstract ideas about the cosmos. So here I am.

Welcome, indeed, jedaisoul. I would like very much to hear about your question, your thought experiment and your ideas (and not necessarily only about relativity/its alternates). :)

Posted

It's a bit of a haze, but I'm pretty sure I was drugged by davidm, piled into a van, and dumped here with a copy of The Conquest of Bread and explicit instructions to contribute something on politics or biology

Some folk have all the luck! I wish someone would supply me with 'haze' inducing drugs and deposit ace and informative books on my lap. Anyway, it's not necessary to just do the politics and biology. Any input and thought is generally speaking good input and thought.

Posted

One of my professors used one of the essays about ethics that was posted on the Galilean website library. After having interest in the website itself, I snooped around and found this forum. Being an already seasoned political forum poster, I was excited to find a community that wasn't dedicated to unproductive jibber jabber and instead promoted meaningful commentary and learning in the field of science, the arts and humanities.

Posted

Well, I was talking to someone on DreamViews chat that in two days, no one had criticised a piece I had written. He told me to come here and it would get criticised for sure.

Posted

I found this place by desiring to know more about logic. Perhaps it was Stumbleupon has a link to the site or from a discussion on the subject of logic at another forum. And my heart melted when I read The philosophy of The Galilean Library. With hardly a pulse left, I

Posted

Welcome, Kushna and Chopin. :)

Posted

I found this site via Google when I was searching for some stuff on ethics.

Posted

Hiya, TaylorS. Hope you find what you're looking for at TGL. If you scan about some of the threads, I'm almost certain you'll find some quite fascinating posts on ideas pertaining to value, ethics, normative and ideological discourse, and that kind of thing.

Posted

I was linked here from my university forum.

Posted

Which university forum was it?

Posted

Well it wasn't a direct link, the link was to the galilean library website. Where with my usual method of unconcerned clickery I ended up here.

The forum is a side project by one of the students. The university I'm studying through is called UNISA (University of South Africa), the forum is called UniSA (Universal Study Assistance). Here's the linkage, if you're interested.