This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

How did you get here?

136 posts in this topic

Posted

"intellectual snobs", Lewis? ;)

Posted

I found these forums by looking up a lecture on ethics that Wittgenstein gave in 1929 and stumbled across the version on TGL.

Posted

"intellectual snobs", Lewis? ;)

Ha ha ha, yup. I'm just jealous because I can't yet be labelled one.

Posted

Hi, I was cleaning up some of my bookmarks, following ones that I'd found before, cleaning out the dross and rereading some of the interesting stuff. I followed the link at the bottom of the page here and here I am.

Posted

I googled "philsosophy for beginners" and then I found the website. And through the website I found these boards. :)

Posted

I was looking up some information about Gonzalo Munevar, and I found the interview with him posted here, so I decided to give the place a closer look :)

Posted

I was on some typically hate filled forum where a person linked to here while expressing disgust for the behavior going on there. I strongly agreed with the sentiment.

Posted

I was doing research on the Science Wars and came across the excellent thread on Post-Modernism and the Science Wars. Once I saw the message board dedicated to History & Philosophy of Science I was sold. :notworthy:

Posted

That was my experience. I too posted on a venom filled forum when somebody mentioned this site. This is my first post.

Posted

Hi Recspecs and Mahout.

Mahout, what site have you come from?

Posted

Through a wikipedia philosophy page link.

Posted

Googled "Philosophy for beginners".

Posted

I don't know how I got here

Posted

I don't know how I got here

Did you get lost on the internet? Someone gave you bad directions and you took the wrong exit and ended up here?

I hate when that happens.

Posted

I can't remember exactly how I first came across TGL. Hugo was kind enough to send me a PM on falsificationism on IIDB a while back, maybe that was it. But a few mentions on Freethought Forum over the years kept it in my mind. The final impetus to join was being encouraged to do so in FF chat.

Posted

Nice to see you here fragment. Hope you like it.

Posted

It was a series of events, where one followed another.

Posted

It was a series of events, where one followed another.

Ya, it's an interesting question, "How did you get here?". We pretend as though only the present and the immediate past exist which is why anyone would ask that question in the first place. :D

Posted

I was searching the about theology and philosophy (actually mainly -isms) in Wikipedia and site directed me to Galilean Library.

I read some manuscripts and essays and began to think It's a serious forum where I can continue learning, where I can discuss my ideas with people, to test my and others ideas, to find week points and work on them with help of people of Galilean Library members.

I think, even the design of the website shows to people, It's serious website with serious topics and users, which is sometimes the first priority for knowledge, while most of the internet users only spend their time with unnecessary activities, I wanted to be here, to find people thinking like me.

Thank you.

-Karlsvogna

Posted

Welcome, Karlsvogna! Two drinks minimum. :cheers:

Posted

Welcome to TGL, Karlsvogna. I'm glad you like what you've seen here so far and I hope you'll join in. :)

Posted

I found Newell's work on TGL 2 years ago, via search engine, and went to re-read it and found the links broken, and stumbled here looking for his essays

Posted

I think I was first directed to this site a few years ago when someone linked me to the "Introduction to Philosophy" series, although I think at the time the series was on a site called "Hyperboreans" or something like that? Not sure if I'm remembering correctly. Anyway, I saw some posts of Hugo's on the IIDB (now "Freethought and Rationalism" board) and decided to see if that old intro to philosophy series was still around.

This is quite a place you have here. The average intelligence and depth of the topics here might be the best I've seen on any board.

Posted

Through Epistmelinks blog search, I think

Posted

I found this site while searching for discussions about Jorge Luis Borges. I discovered his writing a short time ago and have read several of his fictions and poetry. I am a photographer/digital artist and use his work as a jumping-off point for compositions.