This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Idea: Foreign Languages

Question

Posted

I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in either learning or helping (me) with mainly Spanish.

I tried looking for a Spanish chat, but I didn't find any decent or active ones. Any language learning community/forum I looked for was bad with a lot of non-dedicated people.

I'm not sure how this will work or if it will be worth the time. I could try to find some sort of basic material that's relevant to the real world (I'm just trying to learn conversationally) and try to translate it, and others can check the translation.

Another idea might be to try to have a conversation about something. It will be a while before I'm good enough to handle an intelligible one though.

Since I'm going back to school, I have a foreign language requirement. I'll probably take Russian, maybe even in the fall. I know a little now from Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone, but it's mostly useless because the language's grammar is complex and so your applicability to use what you've learned to other situations is limited.

If you're interested for some reason, you have to learn to read cyrrilic. It's dumb to try to use roman characters. As daunting as it looks, Russian is phonetic, and you'll be able to pronounce words as good as any 2nd grader within days. Rosetta Stone is great for learning to read and type it.

4 answers to this question

Posted

Remember that one way you can use this site to help is to click on the translate option at the top right of each thread. The translation is Google's and, while it might not be perfect, it will give you something to work with. :)

Posted

It's not that good sometimes, even the Spanish one which is probably one of the most popularly used.

I suppose I could correct it if it's wrong, but then I don't know whether I'm right or not. :evil:

Posted

Hi One, I'm fairly advanced in Spanish, and could probably help you out with some conversational skills. I started learning it for my job, and I'll be soon be taking an advanced grammar class to help with that as well. I've gotten some good practice through LiveMocha, but haven't been there lately. Watching movies with subtitles is also useful. Once you've gotten some Spanish down then the best practice is probably to find a mexican soap opera, or telenovela, to watch daily since there is usually lots of dialogue.

Posted

Hey there! It will be probably too late for this but, at least for you and others to know, I'm kind of native Spanish speaker (not purely native since I started speaking it at three, i already spoke Basque) and I'd be very pleased to help anyone with it. B)