This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Web wanderings

37 posts in this topic

Posted

Additionally, I have another point: Yes, these social networking sites are attempting to privatize their data on specific users. But notice I do not want those sites to share my data with anyone. If I put I'm friends with X on Facebook, that should only ever (commercially, anyway) show up on Facebook. If I want to spread the info around, then I can. If I don't, then it doesn't get spread. I personally see the privatizing of information on these social sites as enabling me more control over the information and where it is being published. Not all information "wants to be free".

I think you misunderstood what I said here. Proprietize doesn't mean privatize. Rather, I was referring to the risk of lock-in, that only one provider monopolizes the service.

In addition, if you use Facebook, your data is on their computers, on their website. What makes you think you have any right to say how they should use your data? You could argue that, but, users of Facebook have leverage! If Facebook did something that their users didn't like, people would leave the system! But the network effect, that most of the people you want to communicate with are already on the system, gives Facebook leverage over their users. Any user who leaves Facebook is making things more difficult for him or herself than for Facebook. If there was a distinction between service and provider, of course, Facebook would lose that leverage. Just like, today, if you don't like your email provider you can find another one.

Posted (edited)

For anyone interested on Semiotics:

http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Documents/S4B/semiotic.html

An online etext, its contents:

Contents Page

Preface

Introduction

Signs

Modality and representation

Paradigms and syntagms

Syntagmatic analysis

Paradigmatic analysis

Denotation, connotation and myth

Rhetorical tropes

Codes

Modes of address

Encoding/Decoding

Articulation

Intertextuality

Criticisms of semiotic analysis

Strengths of semiotic analysis

D.I.Y. semiotic analysis

Glossary of key terms

I am reading it and its good, aimed for novices. I came to it by investigating about media and reading baudrillard. It gave me an idea for a threat, probably called Music, feeling and semiotics :p

Edit: Incidentally, in the same web page, this etext is there: http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Documents/tecdet/tecdet.html (technological/media determinism). I did a superficial reading and it seems interesting.

Edit 2: http://users.aber.ac.uk/dgc/publish.html check that web page better, is the site of Daniel Chandler (author of the above etexts), a visual semiotician, in there all his major papers from semiotics beginner to Media determinism, etc can be read.

I wonder too, if there can be a possible relation between Semiotics and Social Constructionism... Gotta keep studying

Edited by Paulus

Posted

For anyone interested on increasing his/her dislike for Tv:

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/

:-D funny site, with articles that go from rants to organized, eloquents manuscripts.

Posted

Here I come again with my obscure sites (or so I think).

Creating Livable Alternatives to Wage Slavery

http://www.whywork.org/index.php

The site is not merely a place for presenting the reader with arguments (with eminent essays from Russell, Bob Black and the rest), against this so-called wage-slavery, but also gives alternatives:mrgreen: (as the title of the site claims). Whether one can accomplish them succesfully, that is another story.:roll:

A gem from the site, which in my humble opinion, is probably quite close to the truth:

We see the futility of the standard, socially approved path in America. It goes something like this: Go to school, get good grades, so you can get a "good" job, make lots of money, get a mortgage and a car and a spouse, keep up with the Joneses, and be "successful". :rofl:

Posted (edited)

Hmmmm... before I am accused of pandering to intellectually weak websites, or trying to convert TGL'ers to Christianity, give this one a chance. Yes, there is a lot of crap in here but if you can stomach the delving, you may find a piece of gold or two. There are some wonderful presentations by Plantinga, Dallas Willard, Francis Collins....and *gasp* William Lane Craig? Now, most of the guys on the website are the flip side to the likes of Dawkins and Dennett, so if you do not care for the latter you likely will not care for the former.

Not all of the presentations or debates center exclusively around Christianity as there are some wonderful discussions regarding epistemology, the nature of reality, etc, etc.

One nice thing is that the audio is downloadable for free and easily burnable to cd so I will have something better to listen to in the car than Britney Spears or Neil Boortz :banghead:

http://veritas.org/media/

...Besides, I am a little rusty on all this stuff as I have long moved past the point/counter point, black/white world of Dawkins/D'Souza or Limbaugh/Moore; I've got that Hitchens visit to attend to soon and I probably should prepare myself by stepping as best I can into his conception of the world so that there is at least a minimal amount of communication possible.

Edited by DeadCanDance

Posted (edited)

I was reading an interview of Harold Bloom, where he speaks of the romantic poets and the decline of important literature studies in academia, because of ideologies and methodologies (feminism, marxism, etc.). He says aesthetics and intellectual themes on works have been superseded by this ridiculous pedantism.

He shares in the interview his love for poetry and how important and magnificent it is for life; he gave me a contagious desire :mrgreen:, so I searched for poetry on the net and found this great site:

http://www.poetseers.org/

Is a great library of poetry!

Here is a little taste from that web page:

Great Poets

" No man was ever yet a great poet,

without being at the same time a profound philosopher.

For poetry is the blossom and the fragrance of all human knowledge,

human thoughts, human passions, emotions, language. "

- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Poetry

The Great Poets reach us from across the millennia where their verse still evokes powerful and significant responses in the readers of the 21st century. John Keats said of poetry:

"Poetry should be great and unobtrusive,

a thing which enters into one's soul,

and does not startle it or amaze it with itself,

but with its subject."

rose-small

" A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:

Its loveliness increases; it will never

Pass into nothingness; "

John Keats

redpoppies.jpg

"To see a world in a grain of sand

And heaven in a wild flower

Hold infinity in the palm of your hand

And eternity in an hour."

William Blake

Edit: Just read this great poem by Tennyson: Ulysses. It is just beautiful, especially the last lines:

One equal temper of heroic hearts,

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Anyone already acquainted with Tennyson or the poem Ulysses, I recommend you to read the article in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_%28poem%29

Is deemed as excellent and it gives quite a bit of information about the poem and interpretations, etc.

Edited by Paulus

Posted

so said Carl Sagan

For anyone wanintg to know or increase his/her knowledge on space sciences, visit this two charming and to the point sites:

Ask an Astrophysicist

Ask an Astrobiologist

270px-NGC7293_%282004%29.jpg

Helix Nebula, also known as The eye of God :shock:

Posted

No need to read The Road to Serfdom, or the unreadable General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money, just watch this video, it has within it just about everything you need to know regarding Keynes and Hayek, (actually, I am not qualified to make this statement, I am woefully ignorant in my knowledge of economics, what I do know is enough to carry on a casual conversation, that's about it) and on the upside, it's funny:

Posted

Project Syndicate is a web page with entries and articles by a variety of persons distinguished in some fields(although sosme of them are note relatively famous) like Peter Singer, Naomi Wolf, some Nobel prize winners in economics (there are a lot of economics professors and advisors there, so michio give it a look).

Posted

http://www.researchblogging.org/

Subject matter is various and mostly scientific. Philosophy is included. A linked list mentions 16 topics plus "other." Looks interesting.

Posted

www.highexistence.com

amazing site about various interesting things!