This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Happy TGL Anniversary, Campanella

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Best wishes for another year of great and thoughtful postings, and we want to see moar drawings plzkthx :D

Posted

Yes - more of your excellent and interesting work! And congrats on a good year during which you metamorphosed into a Mod!

Posted

Thanks, Maddog and Allblue! :) I do have plenty of work scanned but I'm rather terribly particular about which of them deserve to suck the bandwidth.

Right now I am trying to finish page 14 and 15 of Pantheon and I'm struggling with a certain panel. This one calls for a bird's eye view, but for some reason I can't render the lower limbs with any degree of realism :(

Allblue I was a mod in the first year of TGL but asked to be depowered. I didn't like moderating anyone. But somehow in the transition from the phpbb to vbulletin software I became a super mod, and I became too corrupted with power to give it up. :mrgreen:

Posted

Here are several recent sketches of the 4 main characters of my project:

Thumos:

alcides.png

Oracle:

oracleresized.png

Iz'rael

izraelresized.png

Genocide:

kaeliresized.png

Posted

This one calls for a bird's eye view, but for some reason I can't render the lower limbs with any degree of realism :(

Foreshortening is tough. Maybe using a model would help? You could stand on a chair and have someone stand below you in the positions you need to give you an idea of how they could be drawn.

Allblue I was a mod in the first year of TGL but asked to be depowered. I didn't like moderating anyone. But somehow in the transition from the phpbb to vbulletin software I became a super mod, and I became too corrupted with power to give it up. :mrgreen:

Heh heh. Super power corrupts super absolutely! :-)

Posted

I love your work, Campanella. :) These are excellent drawings and the penwork is wonderful. You can see it particularly in Genocide where the thickness of line varies so much, with the darker lines emphasizing the breast and the front leg. The varying of line thickness is nice stuff in contour drawings.

As far as foreshortening goes, I think I mentioned this once before, but years ago I worked extensively with a software called Poser. I don't think this actual software exists anymore, because the company folded, but there must be some successor software. Anyway, it's an absolutely realistic human form figure modeling program in which you can rotate figures in 3d space so that you can see them from every possible vantage point (and the figures can be maniuplated into any conceivable pose). The point is that for some years I did a lot of paitning and drawing from the figure, but after using Poser my mind was absolutely stamped with an ability I did not have before using it: I can in my mind's eye rotate figures around in space, figures that I just imagine, and see them from every angle. And if I try I can usually set them down on paper. I credit this ability entirely to using Poser. It's an amazing asset for artists. And it was cheap, under fifty bucks as I recall. Hopefully it does have a successor floating around out there somewhere. Every artist should have it. (And of course, apart from stamping your mind with the abiliity to rotate images around in it, you can use this software to help plot your drawings: Posing your figures as you want them and viewing them from the angle that you want to see them.)

I realize some artists might think of this as some kind of crutch, but I find that implausible. If it is is a crutch, it's no more a crutch than someone using a figure in real life from which to draw or paint, and doing that of course is an old tradition. I can practically guarantee that people like Michaelangelo or Picasso or any great artist you can care to name would have been using Poser all the time.

Edited to add: Poser also allows you to set up any conceivable lighting from any conceivable angle, and use whatever colors that you want. It's amazing stuff. And, you can animate your figures. :) You can also maniuplate the figures like virtual clay to create any kind of body type or facial expression that you want.

Posted

Wow, that sounds like it was a great program, david!

I also wanted to say, Campanella, that your drawings have so much movement and power, and the characters look like they're about to burst off the page! Fabulous!

Posted

Allblue, I will do just that, as soon as I find a willing participant to model for that shot. Thanks for the heads up. :rock:

David, I searched wide and far for a free copy of Poser or at least shareware, but to no avail. The only ones i found were for the mac. :banghead:

Posted

David, I searched wide and far for a free copy of Poser or at least shareware, but to no avail. The only ones i found were for the mac. :banghead:

You mean you don't own a Mac? :confused:

Posted (edited)

Looks like the may not be making the newest version of Poser for Windows, but possibly the previous version is cheap (for Windows) http://my.smithmicro.com/win/index.html

(the ad in the middle of that page). Probably be fine. Offer for $29 ends tomorrow ;)

-Scott

edit to add, I see conflicting info for the Poser 7 version being both for Mac and PC, but heck, the Poser 6 for cheap may well be worth the effort.

Plus, I forgot to add that I do love your drawings, I should write up my comic book hero just for you ;)

Edited by Scotty
adding info