This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Yale Courses Online

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was interested in the Psychology course, but after finding a good etext concerning psychology basics, decided to leave it, because the book was much more detailed.

I ws looking forward for the philosophy courses but the "death course" turn me off, as being worry about popularity rather than depth, but I was wrong as far as i can see, since you took it.:-D

Anyways I may give it another try to those courses, after I finish Physiology, Literature, Astronomy, etc... heck is not easy trying to be Leon Battista Alberti :roll:

Edit: I like the classics course, even if it is only concerning the greeks. Classics is what I plan to study in an academic level later, afer I finish my auto-didacticism :D

Thanks david!

Edited by Paulus

Posted

I

Posted

I

Posted

This would be awesome, but it's hard to make commitments like this and stick to them. And I only like reading books honestly. It would be best if I could find a bunch of people that were at the same level as me in something and have us all keep up with each other and learn from each other.

This site doesn't have enough participation to have a good commitment to this type of thing. :(

Everyone is busy with IRL so it's hard to make a commitment to something like this unless you have some material incentive to it. I don't mean to be pessimistic, or say this kind of thing is impossible. It's just hard.

Posted

This would be awesome, but it's hard to make commitments like this and stick to them. And I only like reading books honestly. It would be best if I could find a bunch of people that were at the same level as me in something and have us all keep up with each other and learn from each other.

This site doesn't have enough participation to have a good commitment to this type of thing. :(

But you see, this becomes a self-fulfilling prohecy: This site doesn't have enough participaton to make a commitment to this type of thing; ergo I won't commit to it. But if you committed to it, then maybe x would, and y would, and pretty soon ... And if you don't commit to it why should anyone else? Everyone else is waiting for someone else to commit!

But it's frustrating to go round and round on this again. Yes, we don't have enough participation; what a bloody shame. It's the best message board for intellectually minded people on the Web. So, where are they?

It's further frustrating because I've repeatedly floated the idea of adding a monthly Zine to this site, with contributions from the membership. Response?

Big Fat Zero.

:x

Posted

I understand your frustration, but I have a bad habit of committing myself to things, then never following through on them. I'm trying to break that habit. I won't pass up an opprtunity, but it's better for me to think twice about something. I've also found it embarrassing telling people about myself, or telling them I'm going to do something, then it never happens or I fall short.

I've encountered this problem on another forum where people were complaining that the forum quality (and quantity) was declining. Repeated complaints produced nothing, and all that happened was that everyone got pissed off including the site owner who decided all of her members were retarded so she shut down the forum for a while so everyone could go outside, get some fresh air, and come back with some new material.

I think it might actually be a good thing if a forum goes through a hiatus every once in a while (especially this one), because there's only so much you can do, and this forum isn't very high on my list of priorities for the day. It's at the bottom. Imagine if everyone just left for a few months, then came back and started chatting again. Certainly in that period, everyone would have been thinking about things, reading, doing life, whatever... then some good things would happen.

Anyway I know that's off-topic lol. As for the yale courses, well honestly I'm not interested enough myself (and neither do I have the time), but maybe some of the other members are. Some of us are students, so the summer is our free period. That might be good timing for this type of thing.

Posted (edited)

[self-deleted]

Edited by davidm

Posted

David is quite right. As for the participation, if two people decide to go through a course then that makes it worth doing, just as it would be to discuss something with a single friend. No doubt others will be following the discussion and join in, just as I will when I can. I don't think posts discouraging the idea are helpful.

We will get the e-zine started in a few months from now. :)

(Posted via mobile device)

Posted

I haven't been a big contributor here, but I'm interested in this Yale course idea and would especially enjoy one of the following topics:

ENGL 291 - The American Novel Since 1945

ENGL 310 - Modern Poetry,

HIST 119 - The Civil War and Reconstruction Era, 1845-1877

PSYC 110 - Introduction to Psychology

RLST 145 - Introduction to the Old Testament

The others looked good too, but these have my vote.

Posted

I read the first Philosophy of Death transcript. I'd be interested in that course. We just need to get it off and running and see how it works. No need to theorize and get caught up in "What ifs..." I can't guarantee sticking to it but there is nothing wrong with trying. Thanks for bringing this up, David. This is a pretty cool thing by Yale.

Posted

I was going to say Introduction to Political Philosophy but then I saw the syllabus and decided meh.

Anyone else interested in Game Theory?

Posted

I was going to say Introduction to Political Philosophy but then I saw the syllabus and decided meh.

haha:-D, it looks to me Michio that you are the only one interested, in this forum at least, in becoming the David Ricardo or Maynard Keynes of the 21th century.:twisted:

In my case, I am the only one interested in becoming the 21th century Theodor Mommsen:mrgreen:

P.D: that was a joke michio :p

Posted

The Yale course on the American novel since 1945 has Blood Merdian by Cormac McCarthy in it. Nice! :)

Posted

Also Lolita, On The Road, The Crying of Lot 49 ... Looking forward to reading these lectures. The lectures I've read so far, on the philosophy of death, the Civil War and physics, are just first rate. These professors are what you'd expect from Yale, I guess.

Posted

its going to be hard enough to find any class we can all agree on

what about

we each pick a class, and relate to others what we have learned in a feew months time... just thinking

Posted

I will do Political philosophy and death, Civil War, physics and classics.:mrgreen:

Posted

I think the original idea of choosing one to discuss would be more interesting. This way we can chew over the lectures together rather than respond to one person's take. Not that I feel like I should have any say in this matter, but the course on the American Novel davidm mentioned sounds good, and would be fun to discuss.

Posted

I haven't looked at the site, but I'd tentatively like to do game theory. Not sure how that sorts among other offerings, however. Just thought I'd echo the interest at least.

As to commitments, etc., we're always going to work with incomplete knowledge of our future actions. Waiting until they are effable in the now is to either cripple your living or wait interminably. Let's just jump in and make due.

Posted

I will do Political philosophy and death, Civil War, physics and classics.:mrgreen:

So will I! :)

I've been reading the Civil War stuff; it's great.

Posted

I haven't looked at the site, but I'd tentatively like to do game theory. Not sure how that sorts among other offerings, however. Just thought I'd echo the interest at least.

As to commitments, etc., we're always going to work with incomplete knowledge of our future actions. Waiting until they are effable in the now is to either cripple your living or wait interminably. Let's just jump in and make due.

You know what? I like the way you think. :twisted:

Posted

So will I! :)

I've been reading the Civil War stuff; it's great.

I downloaded the classics course mp3 to hear it in my ipod :p. It is in total 1480 MB's :mrgreen:

Probably those five courses will amount to a total of more than 5 Gigas:shock:

What prompt you that reaction... the "meh"? :mrgreen:

Posted

There are new courses!

Im studying the one about music and evolution/ecology now:rock:

Posted

I'd be interested in the Modern Poetry or Modern Novel classes. I just read the introductory lecture of the modern poetry class, and it's interesting. I like Professor Hammer's interest in the physical appearance of poetry books -- which brings me to another question: I'd rather read the transcript than listen to the lecture (especially since I spend time on then internet at work, and I can't really listen to things as sureptitiously as I can read them). However, I can't see the slides that accompany the lecture that way. Does anyone know if there's some way to see the visual aides without listening to the entire lecture?

The notion that the physical appearance of books is important reminds me of one of my son's friends at NYU film school. He wanted to bill himself as a creature of purely visual interests, and when the conversation turned to books he said, "I had a blue book once, with some kind of circle on the cover that I really liked."

This interest also reminds me of Keats' famous poem:

When I have fears that I may cease to be

Before my pen has glean'd my teeming brain,

Before high-piled books in charact'ry

Hold like rich garners the full-ripen'd grain.......

Apparently, Keats saw his yet unwritten poems penned in elegant charact'ry, instead of plain letters. Unmodern, perhaps, of him.

Finally, Hammer refers to Wallace Steven's view that poetry can replace religion:

This is Wallace Stevens' date=' Wallace Stevens who said, "Poetry is a means of redemption", and meant it. Stevens began life as a choirboy and as a Christian, but his work is all about replacing Christian theology with poetry. For Stevens, when modernity takes away God what it does is unveil the poet's Godlike powers, a power to create the world through imagination, imagination which created God in the first place. In Stevens, modernity shows us that the truth of religion was always a fiction, a fundamentally poetic construction.[/quote']

This reminds me of the Karen Armstrong piece that Campanella linked to in another thread, about the distinction between mythos and logos.

Posted

Can we get a separate thread for this project? A space in the forum with threads for each topic, perhaps, so we can slide in and out of "classrooms" with a little more organization and ease?