This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Theology and Philo. of Religion

Question

Posted

I seek advice on what theologians and philosophers of religion are worthy of read, that is, not biased, or that misinterpret other philosophies or science (like saying evolution is just a theory or other silliness). What I want to study are competent, influential theologians and philosophers (I can think of Platinga, Kierkegaard, Aquinas, Augustine, Swedenborg for example).

Also, do you know any good treatise or influential text? If possible too, do you know any good online resources (on philo. religion and theology)?

I am getting interested on this again (used to be when I was 18), one, because my mother is coming to visit me soon:mrgreen:, and she is unsure of her faith (she is not certain on what she really believes concerning God and religions doctrines, the history, etc.). I want to prepare some good little courses for her (I will be teaching her English - her skills are no too good - as well as other things... I feel a great debt to her, because she formed my character, my moral behaviour, by herself, she was my mother and father at the same time), to make her a good "defender" of her faith and to give her a greater joy on her belief, to see that is even more profound, beautiful and complex than what she thought. Two, because I get piss off with those atheist (I am an Agnostic Atheist by the way and that does not stop me from getting interested on Theology, etc.) who hand wave Theology, or anything religious as non-sensical (Dawkins for example):thumbdown:. I'll show them that an agnostic atheist sees theology as an important field of inquiry/understanding/knowledge just like science or philosophy.

Thank you before hand!

3 answers to this question

Posted

I seek advice on what theologians and philosophers of religion are worthy of read, that is, not biased, or that misinterpret other philosophies or science (like saying evolution is just a theory or other silliness). What I want to study are competent, influential theologians and philosophers (I can think of Platinga, Kierkegaard, Aquinas, Augustine, Swedenborg for example).

First of all, I would recommend not being overly quick to dismiss a writer because of his or her misinterpretations. A lot can be learned from studying the mis-takings of others. Also, I would never recommend Plantinga -- other than for the sake of having some familiarity with an author to whom many currently refer. Plantinga is more suited for apologetics than for philosophy regarding religion or God. As to any other authors I would recommend, it would be easier if I knew something more specific about your philosophy of religion interests. Familiarity with Aquinas, Augustine, and Duns Scotus, for instance, can be well worthwhile, but it may be that you would right now actually get more out of more contemporary thinkers -- for instance, those involved in what is called process theology. It kind of all depends on whether or not your interests are in the most "traditional" versions of religious thought.

Michael

Posted

Thanks for the comment Michael.

Yes, I was too vague on my request:D.

I read a bit about theology though and noticed, to my surprise, that is primordially Christianity what is concerned on the field of theology. I thought theology was the study of God, but iin my mind that meant, referring to God of all cultures, etc.

Nevertheless I am still interested :p, and I think a recommendation of the "oldies" and "newbies" theologians or philosophers of religion will not mind me, because I like to study through history, that is, reading how previous thinkers engaged in the ageless dilemmas and them compare them with the more contemporanean ones.

Regarding Philosophy of Religion, I found a couple of online resources (they deal with the famous arguments like Ontology, Cosmology, Design, etc. and give a bit of history of the field).

I could do a summary of my interest in 4 aspects: The arguments for and against God, the different beliefs (deism, pantheism, etc.), the concept God (this seems to be related to the 2nd one) and the sociological importance of god (I am not sure how to explain myself here, but what I am trying to learn more, is the implications that religion, or just God, has had on human history be it positive, negative, etc.).

I know a good book about history of God an religion are those that you and Campanella adviced before.

I read as well Hugo's manuscript for an overview of the field.

Posted

I found a good intro to theology in spanish!

That will keep me content for a while:-D