This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Question: re titles of science and religion forums

Question

Posted

I trust this is the best place to put my enquiry.

I stand corrected, but I think the titles of the philosophy of science forum and the philosophy of religion forum have been changed. (I cannot remember from what!).

My question is about the recurrence of the word "history" in these titles, linked in with the conjunctive "and".

My question is whether or not there is a specific reason for this, and if there is such a discipline as the philosophy of history, where would we put our thread!?

2 answers to this question

Posted

I don't think HPS has changed; Religious Studies had "History and..." added to it to merge with the old History forum.

History and Philosophy of Science is a long recognised discipline, often with "and Technology" or "... Technology and Medicine" added. Philosophy of History is a much smaller discipline.

For now, I'd say Philosophy of History should go in Philosophy; in the near future, the forum categories will change and merge significantly to make everything clearer.

Posted

Since I posted I did a little searching myself, Hugo, and found your essay here (No. 18, I think) on philosophy of history, and the Wiki and Stanford entries. I had wondered why history had joined with religion, and then I noticed it occurred with science as well. Many thanks for your prompt reply.