This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Switches, Routers and Protocols

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone here know networking? I'm talking the whole nine yards - from physical connections (i.e. ports, cables, data rates, devices) to transmission media (cable, fiber optics, radio waves, satellites) to applications (VOIP, POTS, computers, internet) to theory (transmission theory, multiplexing) to protocols (OSI model, TCP/IP, Wireless protocols, ethernet protocols). ... I think you get the idea.

Furthermore, is anyone interested in learning about all this?

Long story short, I'm taking a communications class and it's not easy. I can't focus on my blog because every time I think about altruism (the latest post I've been trying to write) there's a nag in the back of my head saying, "Shouldn't you be translating acronyms or something?" But every time I start to go over my notes from the day's class, I get anxious, because I want to be doing busy work contributing to this site. >.<

SO! I figure, if anyone's knowledgeable and can teach, or interested in learning what I know, maybe I can do BOTH (study and contribute)! Having someone to explain protocols in greater depth would help me master my understanding, while having to rewrite my notes into cohesive bits o' knowledge and understanding that others can learn from would also help me master what I need to know.

What dya' say, guys? Anyone up for some heated discussions on frequency spectrum management!?

Okay, actually, what I'd really like to learn more about right now is satellites and how cell phones work... And figuring out those damned protocols... Those accursed letter and number combinations... How they mock me so...

Posted

I studied that Elys (although I was like Hume: while [my family] fanceyed I was poring over Voet and Vinnius, Cicero and Virgil were the Authors which I was secretly devouring - just replace voet and vinnius for Information Technology, and virgil and cicero for letters in general (philosophy, literature, arts, etc.) - :p).

Nevertheless, I have some papers on that (I can give them to you) and I might be able to help.:p

Posted

That, mon petit chou, would be magnifique! =D

Posted

Ever since I started using linux, I've gotten more interested in computers in general. I obtained the study materials for the comptia network certification and started looking at that. I don't plan on getting comptia certified, but I wanted to look up specific things about networking, and that comptia thing goes through... everything.

Concerning cell phones, I'd like to know more about them, because I don't really know how cellular communication works.

(P.S. if you want that comptia stuff, P.M. and I'll upload to mediafire).

Posted

I took a networking class years ago ... 802.* ... token ring network blah blah ... 'packets', headers body footer crc check ... made some ehternet cable ... I was going for a programmer, got close to a 100 on all my programming tests, think I got a 93 overall in networking but I just slid through that class ... graduated with 3.8 GPA but never got to put my mad programming skills to work ... for making money anyway ... they say any problem can be solved with flowcharts, even brain surgery ...