This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

What does your avatar/sig say about you?

26 posts in this topic

Posted

We had a thread about this over 9000 years ago, but people have changed their stuff, so here's another.

In this thread, we comment on people's sig/avas that post in this thread. Obviously I can't since I'm OP.

Also titles.

Posted

Going by the logic of the OP, I should only comment about the previous poster's avatar/sig. :mrgreen:

Michio's avy is a still from an anime character, (from trigun?) which declares his identity as an otaku. Perhaps this character came close to his ideal character, and hence, earned the right to serve as his avatar? :lol:

His signature is new, so it should reflect his more recent area of thoughts/impressions. They are from Machiavelli and Sun Tzu, two masters of the discourse of power. Michio may find their quotes worth sharing with us, as if in defense against a sea of lies.

Now, do me! :twisted:

Posted (edited)

At first glance, the man and bottle appears brilliantly simple. However, like all things that look to be simple, it is much more ingenious than it appears. The blue bottle was called ether, which in the language of the Thuraslusons means something like meaning, blue for its poisoning effect, and a way was devised to keep the bottle from opening when it was tilted for pouring or drinking. Designing the stopper to keep the contents in place had been the genius of a ten-thousand year engineering plan. Cleverly tipping the bottle to either side, or upside down, always allowed the content to re-seat itself, and thus, no one could swig or whiff the contents. The bottle remained unopened for what most would call an eternity. Most folk didn't give the bottle 'meaning' much attention. But one day, a little monkey came along and with a little effort pulled out the stopper, and in that instance was thrown back as the emptiness burst its way out and soared into a bright new day.

The signature, although it may appear to be alluding to post-darwinian intellectual thought is in fact the advertising message from a range of bic-type products, the red pen type which teachers and lectures use the world over.

Edited by soleo

Posted

soleo's avatar is interesting, intriguing.....

Is it a weeping and lamentation over our reduction to one dimensional man? We should note that the bar code is three dimensional, sharing this dimensionality, and has therefore broken free of the sterility of the two dimensional world, with man and the world he inhabits, but alas, looks can be deceiving. Here we have a bar code struggling to be a man and we have men, in so far as they have learned to hate their freedom, trying desperately to become bar codes......

As to soleo's signature. I am quite sure that he is of the understanding that the majority of those who would read his signature are monolingual. soleo speaks in tongues, perhaps even in riddles that must be solved, either way, his signature tells us that he is not one to promote laziness....

Posted

DeadCanDance

Posted

Darnit! I'm more messed up than I thought, thanks BDS .......

Posted

Transformation complete.

Posted

Now my post makes no sense!

Posted

I should clarify that the whole bar code/man thing was not meant to be directed at you soleo, it was supposed to be representative of a cause of lamentation for you.....

Posted

I'll do BDS since everyone else has been done so far. BDS' avatar appears to be a herd of animals, which goes well with his signature, a quote by Yeats. The quote expresses the feeling people often have of the years flying by. When you have a job, you work every day and look forward to the weekend when you can do something you really want to-- and when it comes around you're always looking forward again, wondering where all that time went. Maybe not a reason to stop planning weekends, but it might be a good reason to enjoy an occasional walk. Just remember not to plan it! :D

Posted

To the untrained eye, J.C seems exactly the same as most others at TGL, but for those of us who can hack his hard drive, look at the pictures he has on there, and guess which one is his profile picture, J.C is actually a tall, blonde, Russian female with enormous breasts. Since I'm only commenting on the picture that I'm guessing is J.C's profile picture, I won't mention the plethora of seemingly impossible poses and positions J.C can move into, nor will I mention the picture of the ginger-haired, hunchbacked midget with the silly beard and the big nose, whoever that might be...

:p :p :p:twisted::evil::muahaha:

1 person likes this

Posted

The previous poster's avatar seems to be a photo of an exceedingly self-aware polar bear, apparently embarrassed at having his photo taken by some bloated american visitor, since he/she will lose face if this photo circulates beyond the Arctic circle.

At the same time, the previous poster's choice seems to betray his secret embarrassment at posting in this tiny, forgettable corner of the internet, except where the polar bear hides its eyes, the poster openly declares his shame at being a member of TGL. :twisted:

Posted

It's true! :Cry:

Posted

& Not a single word about mine! :Cry:

Posted

Somebody's done you! :x

Posted

Does that mean I don't

Somebody's done you! :mad:

So, I don't have to do you!

YAAAY! :D

Posted

Rob's sig includes the letter I at least twice, the letter D, the letter O, and the letter T; It also includes an M, at least two Os, an R, and an N.

1 person likes this

Posted

Indeed, sirrah, because the maze concept in Inception is so idiotic, it could only have been conceived by a moron!

Posted

If that were the reason for the letters, I would have pointed out another I and a C.

Posted

I'd say Dave's avatar represents his extreme fascination with death, especially considering his last status update,

RIP Scotty. Killed because he didn't get in chat. :(

Hence I see Dave as a reaper with a conscious. He regretted having to kill Scotty because he didn't get in chat. That or he is subtly telling the rest of us when we're on TGL we should always be in chat or face the consequences.

His lack of a signature is due to the true signature of death being the body that he leaves behind with the taking of his quarry's soul.

Posted

Merusalt's avatar is an ironic commentary of the pharmaceutical industry. The housefly represents the parasitic nature of the industry that promises salvation from worldly ills with pills, yet is a monstrosity in itself that interjects a corrupting agent in the pill to ensure continued business. :twisted:

This avatar could also be a subliminal message regarding the poster himself - he wants to spread pills on TGL while remaining a detestable specimen of humanity. :lol:

Plus his signature subscribes to the humanist belief that all men are alike, but they are distinguished by their inclinations. However, since he lacks the habit of a regular TGLer, it is also his excuse for not being more active. :deal:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Merusalt's avatar is an ironic commentary of the pharmaceutical industry. The housefly represents the parasitic nature of the industry that promises salvation from worldly ills with pills, yet is a monstrosity in itself that interjects a corrupting agent in the pill to ensure continued business. :twisted:

This avatar could also be a subliminal message regarding the poster himself - he wants to spread pills on TGL while remaining a detestable specimen of humanity. :lol:

Plus his signature subscribes to the humanist belief that all men are alike, but they are distinguished by their inclinations. However, since he lacks the habit of a regular TGLer, it is also his excuse for not being more active. :deal:

That could not have been more accurate! [The picture is of the Red Hot Chili Peppers new album cover]

Heretic's avatar is an extremely defined Roman statue with intense rage about to boil over from the statue's pursed lips. I can draw three conclusions from this,

1. The statue, seeming to contain heavily realist impulses, is a representation that Heretic alone understands the carefully defined features of this world and the "pursed lips" (now a homeric epithet!) are the only thing between the explosion of truth upon us all!
  2. Looking down upon the poster following Heretic, the statue serves as a stern warning not to mess with the intense, well-defined man that the statue is a literal portraiture of.
  3. Heretic appreciates sculpture and his avatar has no hidden assumptions or implications and I am folly to attempt to discern what is not there.

As for Heretic's signature, it coyly says "we" although his avatar is of a solid marble statue. This implies that we are all full of red slop and Heretic is not, seeing is he is full of marble.

What is the title of the statue? I feel like I've seen it before, except it was my father face, and I was sitting on a couch talking to this guy named Freud about how I wanted to lop it's head off...

Edited by Meursault
1 person likes this

Posted

It's Kratos.

Posted

The picture is of the Red Hot Chili Peppers new album cover

Ahh...So it's product placement!?

Well, two can play that game. Whaddya think of my new avatar? Suits me, no?

Note the witty album title continuity.

Posted

Peter is a man who needs less hairs on his head, and more on his chest. He also makes me think that it's amazing how much a pair of glasses can change one's appearance.