This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Please read: Moving this site

27 posts in this topic

Posted

The new version of this site is almost ready so I plan to move everything over early (GMT) on Saturday 13 March. This means the forum will be closed, with a back-up taken and the data migrated across. All being well, this shouldn't take too long; if there's a problem, I'll try to fix it or I'll restore the current site using the backup. Either way, I'll post notices here to let you know what's happening and where to go for the new site, although the best way to keep up to date will be to follow @galileanlibrary at Twitter. Once everything is complete I'll add redirections to take you there automatically, which should also redirect the existing individual thread links.

The new site runs on IPB software and hopefully you'll find it a huge improvement and step forward. Using it should initially be no different: the forum works largely the same and the only "problem" is that there are more options and possibilities with IPB. There will be a bug tracker for you to report any issues and a shoutbox to leave short notes. You should be able to log in immediately with your existing account; if not, I'll revert to the backup.

Posted

The new version of this site is almost ready so I plan to move everything over early (GMT) on Saturday 13 March. This means the forum will be closed, with a back-up taken and the data migrated across. All being well, this shouldn't take too long; if there's a problem, I'll try to fix it or I'll restore the current site using the backup. Either way, I'll post notices here to let you know what's happening and where to go for the new site, although the best way to keep up to date will be to follow @galileanlibrary at Twitter. Once everything is complete I'll add redirections to take you there automatically, which should also redirect the existing individual thread links.

The new site runs on IPB software and hopefully you'll find it a huge improvement and step forward. Using it should initially be no different: the forum works largely the same and the only "problem" is that there are more options and possibilities with IPB. There will be a bug tracker for you to report any issues and a shoutbox to leave short notes. You should be able to log in immediately with your existing account; if not, I'll revert to the backup.

:thumleft: Nice! I am ready for this upgrade carrying a couple ideas for manuscripts, interviews and detailed, dilligent posts as luggage.:rock:

Posted

This is just a quick overview of some of what's planned and what might be different. I've probably forgotten things.

The main difference will be that the entire site is integrated: home page, "about the site" information, forums, blogs, gallery, links directory, essays, interviews and chat room. Moreover, the site will use sidebars (which you can hide on the forum if you prefer) to show content from other areas; that is, on the forum index you will see the latest blog entries, the latest gallery images, the latest status updates (Facebook-style in profiles), the latest links added, and so on. All the essay content has these sidebars linking to the forums and blogs, so hopefully people who read the static content will find their way to the community, and vice versa.

The resources will allow comments and the next version of the software will enhance the social networking and bookmarking services. Alongside the essays and interviews will be an articles/tutorials system to help promote some of the excellent content from the forums into still another resource. There will be a community blog (for whatever - it's up to you) and a staff blog for site notices. The new structure I proposed will be used (if you don't like it then we can discuss changing it) and the new (minimal) rules are implemented.

Missing:

At the moment, I don't think I'm going to be able to bring over the links in our resource directory or the (relatively few) images in our gallery. Hopefully you won't mind adding these again or including new links and pictures, particularly since everything will be integrated and so everyone will see the new content, making sharing it worthwhile.

Although I bought a "thanks" hack for the new forum, I don't think it'll be possible to carry across the existing thanks to date, so everyone will start from scratch (sorry, Cam :lol: ). There is a default reputation system that I plan to try out since, unlike vBulletin, it actually has an effect: you can choose to hide posts that fall below a reputation limit, which provides a way to deal with trolls and troublemakers without having to resort to banning or intervention. Either or both can be removed in due course.

Hopefully the transfer will work!

Posted (edited)

There is a default reputation system that I plan to try out since, unlike vBulletin, it actually has an effect: you can choose to hide posts that fall below a reputation limit, which provides a way to deal with trolls and troublemakers without having to resort to banning or intervention.
I wonder about how this hiding would work; can any user hide a post, like the troll himself hide posts worth reading? this would be of consequence if when the post be hid, does that mean that it is hidden to all members or just to the one that decided to hid it? If not then I see no problem with it.:-)

Forgot something important, apologies for the silly, ingenuous question :p.

Edited by Paulus

Posted

From what I just read, it will just have the option to automatically hide posts with less than X rep. If you're familiar with Slashdot's moderation system, it sounds very similar (Slashdot hides all posts with 0 rep or lower). It doesn't mean you can't see them, just that you have to change your settings or click on the hidden post to view it.

Posted

Thanks a lot for all of your work, Hugo.

Posted

Yes, that's how it works. I'm not suggesting we have to keep this reputation model but it strikes me as worth testing if/when someone disruptive comes along. You set your threshold and people whose reputation drops below it simply don't appear for you, much as if you chose to ignore them.

Obviously the risk in such systems is that a large group of people can consistently vote down one or more others, effectively shouting them out of the community, but I don't think that's likely to happen at the scale of this site. Moreover, I'm not sure it's as big a deal as I once believed: I doubt that many members will choose to filter content anyway and if they do then they will be taking a calculated risk that by shutting out potential trolls they might also lose someone being targeted by others. However, if they're paying attention and participating in this community as I hope then they would already be complaining at the targeting and doing something about it.

By the way, when we move over and hopefully have this extra functionality, I need you all to start using it. The wiki will be empty, for example, so people need to put some things in there; likewise, you'll have to add some links or images before you see how well the integration works and why it's worth your while. :)

Posted

Look forward, thanks!

Posted

Although I bought a "thanks" hack for the new forum, I don't think it'll be possible to carry across the existing thanks to date, so everyone will start from scratch

OMG

All of our e-peens are going to be reduced to 0.

I have nothing to live for now. That was my only success in life, and now it's gone.

Posted

Just wondering, is the 'wiki' thing, that thing which sometimes comes up red and underlined when we write posts which give a little snippet into a writer or theme? Something that looks like this: soleo. If it is, I'd be more than welcome to add some little thoughts. I'm having a right laugh with the early Greek thinkers at the moment and could always add a little brief intro to them of about 128-180 words.

Posted

Heh, it's disabled in this particular forum. :)

That feature is the glossary; unfortunately, there isn't an equivalent script (yet) for IPB. Although I like the glossary and intend to use it again if it becomes available, it hasn't been used much here.

The intention for the "wiki" is to try out some ideas we've discussed here before, especially things Michio has advocated. The way it would work, as I envisage it, is that anyone motivated to do so can go through the forum and find threads that might be worth reworking into resources, rather than being lost in the archives. We then cut and paste posts or elements of the threads into a new wiki entry and work on it over time to turn it into a coherent piece. The permissions are such that any member can contribute to this effort, so hopefully the burden is shared. If no one uses it then it can be removed but I think it's worth a try - there must be hundreds of threads here that people would enjoy but have disappeared from view.

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

I'm having a right laugh with the early Greek thinkers at the moment and could always add a little brief intro to them of about 128-180 words.

I think this would be perfect for an articles systems I'm adding to the new site: kind of like the current essays but less formal and ideal for shorter pieces. If a glossary script becomes available then it can link to the articles entries.

Posted

I have to go to work now, Hugo, - shift work is my lot in life - but thank you for the swift reply. I will re-read tonight and add some thoughts I have, but I think I can help. I've read loads of the old threads and still have many fresh in mind. It would also be a pleausure to add to the article or glossary system. Anything to keep the flame of learning and insight alive. Peace and love, and thanks for putting a great site together!! It really is an eye opener :rock:

Posted

If anyone can think of a better name than "wiki" for what this functionality is supposed to enable, please let me know. :)

Posted

The Sandbox

Posted

"Learning with Michio and his Friends"

Posted

Would it be better for this sandbox area to be private; that is, members only? I guess it would make sense to have the gradual creation of new resources not open to guests since that might make members more comfortable posting unfinished material.

Posted

Would it be better for this sandbox area to be private; that is, members only? I guess it would make sense to have the gradual creation of new resources not open to guests since that might make members more comfortable posting unfinished material.

Absolutely. While signing up to see the hidden content is hardly an onerous or insurmountable obstacle, there's no need to have everything fully visible to the outside world.

As for an alternate name, I'd suggest something suitably tasteless and irreverent like "the anarchist's cookbook". Somehow I don't think that would fly...

Posted

I just realized I would really like a sandbox.

I wanted to post a one or two liner, but I mean, what good would that be.

For example, today I read this

treasury stock

First of all, share buybacks reduce the number of shares outstanding. Once a company purchases its shares, it often cancels them or keeps them as treasury shares and reduces the number of shares outstanding in the process.

I've noticed that sometimes we are simply excessive in our writing. The bolded part is confusing. Why? Because frankly it's irrelevant to mention that.

Treasury shares are just stock that a company purchases from investors trading its own stock. When I read a phrase like the above, I expect something more substantial, like some explanation about this special "treasury share/stock". But I get nothing. (The author never goes any further with that as you continue reading what I was reading)

In the above, the author essentially just said the same thing twice. Treasury shares ARE repurchased stock, but only the author would know this. A reader entirely new to the subject may or may not be able to deduce that from the paragraph. When a newbie reads that, they will think "Ok, so when a company repurchases its stock, it becomes this elusive treasury stock. What does that do, and why do I care?" But it's just a vocabulary word that isn't very special, and I think it was needless to include it like that.

^ For some reason I was inspired to write this after reading that. It made me want to think more about how we learn vocabulary through reading or something, and some possible applications to foreign language learning if any substantial insights are made. Also finance is notorious for laying on the high-falutin' vocabulary.

I'd like a sandbox area to put in random thoughts and inspirations like that, where other people can read and comment.

Posted

The conversion failed to move a few things properly so I'm going to have to pay for IPB to do it. I'll update this when they're ready but it'll now be during the week as the conversion people don't work on weekends.

Posted

The conversion failed to move a few things properly so I'm going to have to pay for IPB to do it. I'll update this when they're ready but it'll now be during the week as the conversion people don't work on weekends.

My reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E29iOPSxF94

Monday?

Posted

My reaction was similar, except that I'd spent several hours on it and everything converted across almost as I wanted. The blogs didn't move at all and the posts got bumped into guest accounts; since I don't know enough to fix the conversion script, I'll have to pay IPB to do it. They only work Mon-Fri so I'll try again over the weekend and contact them late Sun/early Mon if I can't get it. It's likely that this means the site will be down for part of the day on Tues/Wed or whenever they can get to it. The wait will be worth it, I hope.

Posted

Wiki?

We're going to have an actual wiki?

I, for one, would like to say "yippie!" only in a more sophisticated manner!

A wiki is one of those things that I've long thought would be perfect for this site but somehow didn't think it was in the stars. Or maybe I've misunderstood. (Also, it may be more confusing not to call it a "wiki" since anyone who has ever stumbled onto Wikipedia a few times already knows what that is. Or maybe subtitle it as "The TGL Wiki" or whatever.)

Thanks for the effort.

Posted

The move has been rescheduled and will be done by IPB staff. This will begin at 4am EST / 9am GMT tomorrow (17 Mar). The site will offline until the conversion is complete; hopefully it won't take too long but it could be as long as 24 or even 48 hours if there are problems. Having undertaken a test conversion, I don't think there will be many issues. As I said, you should check back to see if the "forum closed" note has been updated (I'll do this when anything changes) or follow the site on Twitter to see how it's going.

Once the conversion is complete, links will hopefully automatically redirect to the new site. Some parts of the site (the resources area, the articles, the blogs) will be largely empty; this is because I then have to move over the essays individually and we can all then start adding content to the blogs and articles.

Posted

Twitter? whats tgl twitter account?

could not find any

The move has been rescheduled and will be done by IPB staff. This will begin at 4am EST / 9am GMT tomorrow (17 Mar). The site will offline until the conversion is complete; hopefully it won't take too long but it could be as long as 24 or even 48 hours if there are problems. Having undertaken a test conversion, I don't think there will be many issues. As I said, you should check back to see if the "forum closed" note has been updated (I'll do this when anything changes) or follow the site on Twitter to see how it's going.

Once the conversion is complete, links will hopefully automatically redirect to the new site. Some parts of the site (the resources area, the articles, the blogs) will be largely empty; this is because I then have to move over the essays individually and we can all then start adding content to the blogs and articles.

---------- Post added at 01:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 ----------

whats the fee? would you like us to make a contribution?

couple of units of currency of choice?

Posted

Twitter? whats tgl twitter account?

could not find any

... the best way to keep up to date will be to follow @galileanlibrary at Twitter.

whats the fee? would you like us to make a contribution?

couple of units of currency of choice?

You could make a donation here if you like, although this will only work for the remainder of today. After the move, you could click on the support/subscriptions link to offer something. Roughly, the new software was $285, the couple of modifications were $65 and the conversion is $60. You won't know until tomorrow whether it was worth it or not. :)