This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Welcome to the new TGL

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Welcome to the new site. We are still configuring things and it'll take a while to move all the essay content over, which I'm doing gradually. The new areas of the site will be mostly empty as we begin to fill them, particularly the articles, gallery and links. With apologies to Michio, I made one of his posts into an article to test it, although it certainly deserves to be an article anyway.

One thing to note: IPB software uses avatars and profile pictures differently to vBulletin. If you don't see an avatar displayed by your posts, you need to upload a profile picture (which could be the same as your avatar). There are several other areas you can configure in your profile, like the "About Me" area.

Have a look around and let us know what you think. Any bugs or problems can be posted in the Bug Tracker, or here if there are any problems with accessing areas.

Posted

I gave the first thanks. I win.

No but seriously this forum is awesome. It looks so inviting.

Posted

I take :second:

¬°de puta madre! Good on you, Hugo and thank you! :clap2::cheer2:

Posted

It's looking good!

Thanks!

Posted

Ah, the good old days of Invision Power board! :smokin:

About the only negative I see is that I can't really see the new software on my cellphone. :pout:

Kudos on a great job done, Hugo! :rock:

Posted

About the only negative I see is that I can't really see the new software on my cellphone. :pout:

Did you try the mobile or low-fi themes?

Posted (edited)

This is looking quite nice.

I gave you a thanks Hugo, but I do not know where it went :blink:

Edit: Now I see it. I am becoming blind!

Edited by Paulus

Posted

There are a lot of new options available so I thought I'd discuss a few of them.

Firstly, the blogging software enables personal blogs but also group blogs. We don't really know how best to use this functionality but the Community Blog and Staff Blog are tests. You should find that all members can make blog posts on the Community Blog; what we use it for, if anything, is open to exploration. I thought it would be a good idea to use it to post about the "Debate" topics as and when they become available. For personal blogs, you need to go to your settings and change the name of your blog (if you don't already have one); otherwise, it takes your member number instead.

The Articles section works by promoting posts from the forum. The thread an article comes from continues to exist; it just becomes the discussion thread for the article. At the moment, only admins can promote a post into an article. Do you want to be able to push someone's post into becoming an article? It can be reviewed (or queued) to be approved as such or we can leave it as admins-only. I quite like the former option; either way, we now need people to start finding and proposing posts that could make nice articles. My conception of an "article" here is that it's something informative and helpful, less formal than the essays and hence more accessible.

The essays and interviews have to be brought over individually, which is going to take me a while. The key difference here is that the resources are integrated with the rest of the site. It's also possible for people to comment on them.

It may or may not be a good idea to have the shoutbox, rather than the combination of the chat and status updates. (They work just like on Facebook, btw, and display on your profile as well as the forum index.) I suspect people will want to keep the shoutbox but please don't neglect the chat room, not least because I paid for it. :)

The Gallery and Links areas are similar to what we had before, with the key difference being that people will see new images and links via the sidebar notifications on the forum. This means (hopefully) that you're adding content not just for the sake of it but because other people will see it.

On the top right of all pages you'll see "view new content". This is similar to the "new posts" on vBulletin but lists all content across the site. You can also find links to the site's Twitter and Facebook pages, as well as the new (minimal) rules.

If you're overwhelmed by any of these changes, note that the forum works pretty much the same as vBulletin did. If you're unsure, stick to the forum initially. :) Private messaging is mostly the same, except that IPB calls them "private conversations". If you try sending a PM, you'll see that you can invite other people into the conversation, which is essentially a private thread between several people.

The next version of the IPB software is coming soon, with vastly improved social networking integration and some other great features. I am also going to add a Social Groups modification as soon as it's ready. Please help us promote the site by linking to anything you like here on your Facebook or other profile and invite your friends.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hugo thank you very much for all the work you done! I cannot help with the financial part :-?, but I will bring those project I told you about to fruition, I promise 8-).

Posted

Did you try the mobile or low-fi themes?

I seem unable to switch to either Low-fi or mobile skin on the smartphone. I may need to switch to either one via my control panel on the PC and make them my default skin so i can surf on the phone to my heart's content.

Posted

I now have Facebook connect enabled, so you can associate your Facebook profile with your membership here if you like. It also means people can register using their Facebook profile, making it easier to join.

Since we have a Facebook fan page and a Twitter account, it would be great if people who are active on either or both could help publicise the site and invite their friends here. If you're on Facebook, an easy way to help is to become a fan and then post links to your threads or blogs here; that way, all your friends on Facebook will see the notification.

Posted

I added forum links to the calendar and sandbox/wiki (members-only).

Posted

Thanks for the new forum which looks great

I need to get used to it a bit, find my way around a bit

PG

Posted

When I try to post, the bar containing style options appears in the middle of the posting box, and I don't know how to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

Posted

When I try to post, the bar containing style options appears in the middle of the posting box, and I don't know how to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

Try as I might, I just can't find a way to recreate your problem. So, we'll just have to wait for Hugo to get back and figure this one out. Heh.

Michael

Posted

BDS, please add a bug report (here), and it would be most helpful if you can attach a screenshot (since to this point your problem is not reproducible). Also please note which browser you are using as well as your screen resolution. Thanks.

Michael

Posted

Michael,

I posted in the bug tracker forum -- but nobody has answered me (I can readily see why -- who cares about bugs).