This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dialogues on Art

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

David and I have been thinking on putting what we have discussed before (the Picasso thread, his manuscripts and art in general) on dialogue form.

We are not sure yet how we will do it, that is, how we will do it to make it fun, pedagogical, interesting and novel. We do know at least two things, one, that it is going to be a series, because one dialogue or one manuscript alone will make weary or bore the readers quickly. The other is that we will discourse in the dialogues, apart from what is in the picasso thread, some well known author's ideas like Aquinas, Wilde, Kant, etc.

I told David that I will not be able to participate as I would like to, until a few weeks more, because of practical life annoying concerns (concerns which I will not speak about here of course). Nevertheless, he told me to give meanwhile the links of the author's works we will converse. So here they are:

*Aquinas is the only author which there is no book that focuses particularly on aesthetics, most of his work on that area is loose comments in various writings, so I will give secondary sources (comments and reviews of his aesthetics theory).

Edited by Paulus
4 people like this

Posted

This is wonderful, Paulus, thanks for your work in finding and linking these. It's nice to see that so many impressive texts available on the Web.

The idea here is for Paulus and I to conduct a dialogue on topics in art. This is not intended explicitly to exclude others from participating, but it is hoped that he and I will participate exlusively at first. It's an experiment to do a thread in a dialogue format that, if sufficiently interesting, might be worthy of includion in Manuscriipts. I'd say that after the dialogues are completed, other people could then comment on them or on the topics themselves.

Details remain to be worked out. Any input welcome.

Posted

OK, Paulus, when are we going to have this discussion? :wave:

Posted

While waiting for Paulus to rejoin us, here's a pencil drawing I did this morning, that I later touched up in Photoshop to soften it and make it look more abstract and less realistic. It looks like it will show a thumbnail you have to click on to see full size.

3 people like this

Posted

I was going to upload more images, but it appears that there is a global limit on total file size, and the one image I uploaded has nearly used up all my space. :confused: Any way around this?

Posted

I like the art david! Is that a finished piece or a sketch?

The style reminds of the european painters at the end of the 19th century (when they were doing all the experimenting and trying new techniques, etc.).

I am still waiting for my pc :(, so you will have to keep us entertain for a while with your art :p

Posted

I like the art david! Is that a finished piece or a sketch?

The style reminds of the european painters at the end of the 19th century (when they were doing all the experimenting and trying new techniques, etc.).

I am still waiting for my pc :(, so you will have to keep us entertain for a while with your art :p

If someone will plese explain to me why I can't upload a second piece of art :confused: I'd be happy to upload many more.

I regard it as finished. I'm not interested in realistic drawing or painting, but in figure studies, striking a kind of 50/50 balance so that the art is figurative while also abstract. I'd like to illustrate that with the second piece, if I can ever figure out how to upload it. :(

Posted

It is espeically odd since the upload manager is showing that the second drawing I tried to upload earlier, only to receive an ERROR message ("file too big") is in fact uploaded to the server, just not showing anywhere as an attachment. :confused:

Posted (edited)

Try again... It worked! :p Four figures, pushing more to abstraction and away from realism. Drawn in pencil from imagaination, then Photoshopped with crosshatching filter make more abstract.

post-8-033069100 1280503447_thumb.jpg

Edited by davidm

Posted

Here's a pencil drawing of three posing figures, a bit rough in places but not bad.

Posted

Try again... It worked! :p Four figures, pushing more to abstraction and away from realism. Drawn in pencil from imagaination, then Photoshopped with crosshatching filter make more abstract.

post-8-033069100 1280503447_thumb.jpg

bump to try to delete attachment