This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Site upgrade

11 posts in this topic

Posted

The site software will be upgraded over the next few days. If you find the forum closed at any stage, it will be because the upgrade is taking place. New features will be available and I will blog about them post-upgrade.

In the event that this causes the site style to return to the default, please be patient while I restore everything (which may take a while).

Posted

Will the upgrade merge the articles and the essays in the resources page?

Posted

Will the upgrade merge the articles and the essays in the resources page?

Yes, I will be reorganising all this content and adding a few other features.

Posted

Ever tireless at work on the site. :crazy: It's appreciated man. Hope nothing funky happens.

Posted

The upgrade is complete but, as you can see, I now have to edit the CSS and tweak multiple settings, so it will be a while before everything is working properly. In the meantime, try exploring the new features, which I will explain fully in due course.

Posted

Hmm, well, I hope the upgrade works well, I received some notices on things not responding, was watching the machine and it was _very_ busy doing something, I assumed the upgrade. I am still watching it now, it may be caching information, but it is a bit slow. Apache (the http daemon that serves the pages) is/was running out of memory, seems to be associated with php, we will see ;)

-Scott

Posted

The upgrade was done by IPB and instead of merging CSS and template changes it seems everything was overwritten. I'm gradually getting things back to how they were but it will take a while, probably several days as this was literally months of work originally when I was learning the system. Facebook Connect works already and I'll configure the Twitter integration soon.

Posted

Most of the styling has been fixed now and the new features all work. I will write a guide to the latter soon.

Unfortunately, quite a few things I worked on for ages have disappeared, so I have to repair them and it will take a while. I will be bringing a lot of content into the new articles functionality (coming soon) so I may incorporate a lot of pages - such as the homepage (broken now) and "about" pages - within it, alongside the essays, interviews and existing articles. You'll have to bear with me for a while.

Posted

Crap. That's why I quit the bbs business. A thankless job, even if you're good at it.

Posted

I put up a blog entry about some of the new features. I just moved around some of the forums to hopefully make them a bit clearer and also to give some more vertical space on the right for the sidebar blocks. I've almost finished setting up the new content system and now have the laborious process ahead of transferring everything over - it shouldn't take too long, though.

Edit: The forum categories may change again slightly when my computer stops freezing.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0