This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

An incident with Dowitchers

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Short Billed Dowitchers, are one of two species of medium sized Shore Birds. Not much longer than a Robin, they have a heavier build, and of course that beak. The "Long" Billed, are in fact almost indistinguishable from their cousins, and do not even have a longer beak.

Usually they are found in very small flocks, mixed in with other species.

In this incident, I found a larger flock feeding on the mudflats of low tide in my favorite marsh. I had to come out into the open to shoot these birds. Since I take as long as twenty minuted to travel twenty feet in such situations, this method often allows me to get quite close. Most birds are sensitive to movement, and do not really make out physical forms with any exactness. At any rate they spotted me; I doubt if they were sure as to what I actually was. They then retreated to the water. For the next few minutes, there was a tremendous amount of chattering going on, and then, as one bird, they marched onto the mud flats and took off. I have no idea what this signifies.

It was actually much darker then the pictures would indicate, being just a few minutes after dawn. Only two of the shots I took were worth keeping, and here they are...

DOW8.JPG

DOW9.JPG

The next shots are more typical of the way they behave. Often enough they can be found mixed in with other species, since rarely to these birds compete against each other. Each species seems to have a niche based on their physical qualities...

DOW101.JPG

Dowitcher with a Western Willet

MIXED17.jpg

A Dowitcher and a Rudy Turnstone

MIXED4.jpg

Dowitchers with a Western Willet and some Semi-Palmated Sandpipers (who thinks up these names anyway?).

The center bottom Dowitcher is holding an egg in it's beak.

MIXED9.jpg

Dave

Edited by Chato
2 people like this

Posted

Dave, I looked at all your photography. I love it all! You are amazing! The street photography is my favorite. :)

Posted

Dave, I looked at all your photography. I love it all! You are amazing! The street photography is my favorite. :)

Sadly, I don't think Dave is here read your praise. Got eaten by a giant mutant bed bug, or so I heard...

Posted

Sadly, I don't think Dave is here read your praise. Got eaten by a giant mutant bed bug, or so I heard...

I'm Dave; I'll accept the praise.