This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

The Khan Academy

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I was reading slasdot and notice an article about this web site, http://www.khanacademy.org/

It got me thinking that there may be potential to use multimedia to enhance what is already here, maybe it has been discussed, but the actual application of it of certain aspects of the site might make it more attainable to more people.

Take, as only one example, the Introducing Philosophy series, if you made that audio and then dramatized the "Dialogs", it may actually make a very interesting topic even more accessible, and something you could put on your iPod and listen on the bus.

David's art appreciation series would be more difficult to put together and would require a video presentation, but might be very doable.

With how visually oriented and music listening the younger crowd is out there (with their knowledge of using music players and watching Youtube), it may be a nice way to pull more people in.

-Scott

3 people like this

Posted

Podcasts or videos could certainly be fun to do. Salman Khan has hit upon a simple 'low budget' approach (that is, his vids probably don't take much more time or resource to make than writing articles would).

In philosophy, there are others already working on online multimedia presentations such as Nigel Warburton's Philosophy Bites and Philosophy Classics, though some of these come across as a little trite to me.

Also good are the Partially Examined Life podcasts & vids. Those guys really set some standards in presenting philosophy as popular entertainment.

2 people like this

Posted

These are great ideas and suggestions; I had been working on a multimedia area for the site, as it happens. I guess my concern is generating enough content to resource a move in this direction: we would need to update regularly and that implies regular submissions. We could certainly work on making podcasts of most of our existing content and aim to do this for any new material, although the interviews would present a challenge. I'd be interested to know what others think and if anyone has any thoughts on how we might develop and sustain this.

1 person likes this

Posted

My thinking on this, is just to try one of the manuscripts that poses the easiest entry point and see if it goes over well.

If we did the interviews as audio, we could dramatize that too (and say it is dramatized). The Introduction to philosophy struck

me as the one to start off with as it is pretty well polished, and dramatizing the dialogs and putting it together (might take a

tiny rewrite on the dialog, not the dialog itself but just how each person is represented via audio description, more like reading

a book out-loud) would make a nice presentation, and if we did them all at once, a nice podcast that you could put up

on iTunes which people could search on philosophy and find both this site and the well presented audio. It could boost

membership and web ranking on that alone.

Once we get good at making them, it should be easier (I have all the equipment necessary to make all of this happen, pro tools etc)

to pump them out.

Maybe if I get ambitious I could make one and see what people think, then we could do a new one as my voice isn't that good ;)

-Scott

3 people like this

Posted

It may be of interest for some to know that Khan Academy has recently won a share of 10 million US dollars from Google to further develop its project.

Their aim, facilitated by this prize, is to provide free education to as many people as possible.

3 people like this

Posted

It may be of interest for some to know that Khan Academy has recently won a share of 10 million US dollars from Google to further develop its project.

Their aim, facilitated by this prize, is to provide free education to as many people as possible.

Interesting indeed. Big money's there for self education projects if you push the right buttons in the right order on the right machine. However, according to Singularity Hub, Khan was one of 5 winners chosen from 154,000 contestants. The odds are better than the lottery, but still not good enough to be the basis of a business plan.