This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Philosophically opposite

Question

Posted

I have a technical question, not a full-blown query of philosophical interest. For the life of me, I cannot find the term that expresses a philosophical position opposite to "solipsism" (say, in terms of consciousness and self being all that there is).

Any help on this? I think it may be a question of vocabulary (and finding the proper source), but mine is clearly coming up short.

11 answers to this question

Posted

Materialism?

Just a guess.

Posted (edited)

Dave, thanks. I'm not sure that's the answer I'm looking for, though. Intuitively, I'm looking for a concept that outright claims that the self and consciousness are not and all else is what is, rather than expressing an ontological position of materialist sentiment. It's probably going to be more along epistemological lines... but I don't know what it is.

Edited by sesquimath

Posted

I'm beginning to think it's "anti-solipsism", but just doesn't seem quite it.

Posted

Dead-in-the-Waterism?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a system that denies the existence of the self, without denying the existence of everything else (or even denying the existence of everything else).

Why do you need to know the term, anyway?

Posted

No, I'm positive the view exists and there's a specific term for it.

I need to know because I need to know. ;)

Posted (edited)

No, I think DaveT is right, you do want something like eliminative materialism.

Edited by the sad clown

Posted

No, the proffed answers are all incorrect.

Solipsism is the thesis that I alone exist. All else is merely a figment of my imagination.

The opposite of that thesis is that everything exists, and I am an illusory figment of everything that exists. That should be, therefore, pantheism - slash - eternalism.

Pantheism is the thesis that God is the Universe, and everything particular is but an aspect of this monological metaphysical entity. Eternalism is the thesis that everything that existed or will exist is real at once (block-universe).

1 person likes this

Posted

What about Buddhism? I think I've read that it questions the idea of self as well.

Posted

Buddhism isn't a bad answer, but its too imprecise and inchoate to be a definite opposite of solipsism. Buddhism is protean enough to allow for many variants, from pantheism to pessimism, all legitimate interpretations.

Posted

According to Wittgenstein, the opposite of solipsism is realism (from the tractatus), but somehow they can both be true at the same time.

Posted

I think it is going to depend on what aspect you are opposing.