This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Split from Negative Utilitarianism

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Guys, sorry, this post was inappropriate. I just need to find a way to talk to a member on this site privately.

Edited by Parody of Language
Deleted

Posted

davidm, I need to be able to talk to you in private. There's no way am I going to have this conversation in public. Plus, I think being unable to talk in private has hurt our relationship here.

Posted

davidm, I need to be able to talk to you in private. There's no way am I going to have this conversation in public. Plus, I think being unable to talk in private has hurt our relationship here.

Why don't you just use a private window in the chatroom?

Arrange a time and date, first, of course.

Posted (edited)

I have to clean out my PM box, and under this new system it's not immediately obvious how to do this. I'm sure I can figure out with a little effort.

But here's the thing: I'm not interested in pursuing this. I didn't do anything wrong in this thread except respond in kind to an attack in which my posts were deemed "unworthy," by someone who before that didn't answer any of my questions and pretty much routinely ignores or selectively responds to posts that I make in reply to him.

There's really nothing more to say here. This is not my job, even though I've contributed some 6,000 posts, more than anyone. I don't get paid to post here, even though I've probably written a million words for this stie. I don't intend to be called on the carpet or anything of that sort as if this were my paying job. If you don't like my posts, delete them. And if I don't feel like coming here anymore, then I'll stop coming. I hope that time doesn't arrive, but who knows?

Really, I'm not pursuing this anymore, and I'm done with this thread. I'll put DeadCanDance on ignore.

ETA: Please don't take this as disrespect to you, Parody. It's just that this sort of thing begins to get tiresome. Either we are self-moderating here, or we're not. In any event, I broke no rules. I did not attack the poster in any way, I merely characterized the arguments being presented in a rough way. That's fully within the rules. Anyway, you and others can always neg rep objectionable posts into oblivion. I thought that was the idea here, under the new rules.

Edited by davidm

Posted

I have to clean out my PM box, and under this new system it's not immediately obvious how to do this. I'm sure I can figure out with a little effort.

Yes, I know it's a different system. I had to clean out my Inbox the other week. I think I found that the conversations under the new system goes into a different folder, or something like that.

But here's the thing: I'm not interested in pursuing this. I didn't do anything wrong in this thread except respond in kind to an attack in which my posts were deemed "unworthy," by someone who before that didn't answer any of my questions and pretty much routinely ignores or selectively responds to posts that I make in reply to him.

See...this is what I'm not going to do. I'm not going to go through and litigate posts in public. But my first goal isn't to assign blame, but to try to work out the obvious problems that we're having. I don't care if you're not interested in pursuing this. You don't get to write posts placing blame on other posters, stating who started it, and so forth and then say "I'm not interested in pursuing this." I don't want you and DCD going at it at each other, especially not in public on this board. I'm intervening. That's what I take to be my role as moderator.

Seriously, I'm a nice guy. I have patience up the wazoo. I'm chewing you out in public because I don't have any choice. Message me in private and I'll be nice :)

There's really nothing more to say here. This is not my job, even though I've contributed some 6,000 posts, more than anyone. I don't get paid to post here, even though I've probably written a million words for this stie. I don't intend to be called on the carpet or anything of that sort as if this were my paying job. If you don't like my posts, delete them. And if I don't feel like coming here anymore, then I'll stop coming. I hope that time doesn't arrive, but who knows?

In my opinion, I think relations are strained because I need to converse with you in private, and you have all sorts of criticisms of this site, and you can't make them in private either; instead, you rant against this site and the new system in every thread you post in where tensions build.

Really, I'm not pursuing this anymore, and I'm done with this thread. I'll put DeadCanDance on ignore.

Are you going to do that with every poster who you have disagreements with? This isn't a workable solution. That's why I'm trying to moderate, that's what moderation is supposed to be. Both you and DCD are great posters, and intelligent guys. Let me moderate.

ETA: Please don't take this as disrespect to you, Parody. It's just that this sort of thing begins to get tiresome. Either we are self-moderating here, or we're not. In any event, I broke no rules. I did not attack the poster in any way, I merely characterized the arguments being presented in a rough way. That's fully within the rules. Anyway, you and others can always neg rep objectionable posts into oblivion. I thought that was the idea here, under the new rules.

Under the new rules I'm still going to try to work things out between people when there's a dispute. But even if we did PM, I need to know that we can make progress, that you make concessions. This isn't about the rules, davidm. It's about having good threads. Early on in these discussions you make good posts and then, after a few replies, you become hot-headed. Then the thread takes a turn for the worse. I guess that's the sum of what I've wanted to tell you in private the whole time. But no one wants to be critiqued in public, and I didn't want to do that to you. Well, here it is I guess.

Everything else, in my opinion, is due primarily to the inability to communicate. That's what I've noticed in the real world too. Relationships between people become tense and blow up when they decide to stop communicating. I know why you don't want to talk to me, it's because you're afraid. I'm afraid too, I'm afraid that you'll become stubborn, dig in your heels and laugh at me for trying. I'm afraid that the lack of communication has gone on too long, that your feelings have already prejudiced you against this site, and what I still think all of us want it to be about. But, I guess, in real life too I realized that problems like this require courage.

So lets work this out. I hold out hope that it's possible to work things out. Maybe it will take time, and effort, and good will on all sides. It just doesn't make sense what has happened here, davidm. Honestly, I don't know what happened. I want to know what happened. But in private, not in public.

1 person likes this