This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Some new wildlife shots

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I haven't been able to find much time to get to the beach this year. And now that I'm back working, my chief wildlife photographs will probably be of rats and waterbugs. But yesterday I did manage to get out to the remote wilderness of Brooklyn New York...:)

I had a pretty good day as it turns out...

This is a shot of an irate Canada Goose. He was the sentry for a small flock and was really angry at me...

CANADA_GEESE1.JPG

When I got down to the shore there were the Brandt Geese, back from their Summer above the arctic circle. These small geese, not much larger than a duck, are strictly seen in marine environments. They had just spotted me when this shot was taken, and were heading to thesea and safety.

BRANDT1.JPG

A little later I took this portrait of a Mockingbird

MOCKINGBIRD3.JPG

Then I managed to get this quick shot of a Yellow Rumped Warbler.

YELLOW_RUMP_WARB3.JPG

These songbirds and many others no longer migrate South, but over winter in New York...

I had the rare treat of photographing these Red Throated Loons. This is a mated pair and must be young. Normally these birds are very shy of humans, and getting close pictures is a matter of stalking them. But yesterday, they were curious about what I was and swam up to within 125 feet. In Winter they lose the red throat. One can often hear them yodeling; the sound carries for miles. Their cousin, the Common Loon, makes an noise similar to what one would imagine an axe murderer makes after a successful kill. I've seen people actually leave the shore after hearing that combination scream of a lust for depraved violence... :)

REDTHROATED_LOON11.JPG

REDTHROATED_LOON2.JPG

While I was shooting the loons, a very young Red Tailed Hawk flew up, and spent a few minutes examining Chato and I. You can tell this bird is young from the white tail, which will turn red in a year or so. He was really puzzled about us.

RED_HAWK4.JPG

RED_HAWK5.JPG

Going out there to this lonely beach, one never knows what will turn up. I got lucky that morning.

Dave

2 people like this

Posted

Great photos, Dave. Thanks for posting them!

Posted

Great photos, Dave. Thanks for posting them!

Much thanks. I really don't have much time in the Winter for wildlife shots, but I hope to accumulate a whole load of rat, feral cat, and New York waterbug shots from my seasonal job of fixing boilers. I always take a camera with me... :D

Dave

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0