This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Fixing Boilers

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Cool! Or should I say hot?

Posted

Dave,

I really like these! Mainly the fact that they expose the chaos and dirt underlying the comfort of those who inhabit "fancy" buildings.

There's probably a gallery in NYC just chomping at the bit to exhibit a set of 'boiler photos' if you go about it the right way. Easier market to break into than wildlife anyway!

p

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Love it. That type of old equipment to me is fun to look at and see how it works. Mechanical heaven.

I have a gallery of photos online from my brief trip to Tucson a week ago. http://gallery.me.com/scottthorson

The first four galleries (besides the dog photo :) ) is the last trip, the others were just things I was working on, have to name the pictures I guess. It was a wagon wheel week for me, some of them turned out pretty well. Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, just thought of them again.

-Scott

Edited by Scotty
1 person likes this

Posted

Dave,

I really like these! Mainly the fact that they expose the chaos and dirt underlying the comfort of those who inhabit "fancy" buildings.

There's probably a gallery in NYC just chomping at the bit to exhibit a set of 'boiler photos' if you go about it the right way. Easier market to break into than wildlife anyway!

p

Now that's funny. I do show my wildlife shots, and I am trying to show my Street photography, and it never occurred to me to show pictures of boilers. Am I this dumb, or is it just because I do it for a living? :(

Dave

Posted

Love it. That type of old equipment to me is fun to look at and see how it works. Mechanical heaven.

I have a gallery of photos online from my brief trip to Tucson a week ago. http://gallery.me.com/scottthorson

The first four galleries (besides the dog photo :) ) is the last trip, the others were just things I was working on, have to name the pictures I guess. It was a wagon wheel week for me, some of them turned out pretty well. Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, just thought of them again.

-Scott

Hi Scotty, I don't have the latest version of flash, and can't see your shots, something I'd love to do...

Some of this equipment is old, some of it is actually pretty current. I broke into this trade over forty years ago, and worked almost exclusively on large commercial boilers. I then spent twenty years working on small residential buildings. That company went out of business, so five years ago I went back to commercial work - The industry had dramatically changed. Now they have burner controls that actually tell you on an LED screen what aspect of the system failed - I like to joke to friends that when I first saw these controls, I looked for the coin slot to activate the game... :D

I'll post more.

Dave

Posted (edited)

Thanks for sharing this, Chato. It's nice seeing you there with the equipment you're working on. It is true what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words :)

Edited by Parody of Language
forgot a word

Posted

Now that's funny. I do show my wildlife shots, and I am trying to show my Street photography, and it never occurred to me to show pictures of boilers. Am I this dumb, or is it just because I do it for a living?

No you're not dumb. Possibly the boiler pictures seem mundane to you, but they show the rest of us a part of life that many of us have never seen and had never really thought about until you posted these. Also, knowing that these images document a man's living gives them a kind of authenticity.

1 person likes this

Posted

Odd, it doesn't use Flash, but probably HTML5, maybe the browser you have is too old, I will see if I can put up images somewhere else, this was just the easy way :)

-Scott

Posted

Odd, it doesn't use Flash, but probably HTML5, maybe the browser you have is too old, I will see if I can put up images somewhere else, this was just the easy way :)

-Scott

I use various browsers, but they are all limited by my using Mac OS 10.3.9... :(

Dave

Posted

I published this on a web page instead, try http://web.me.com/scottthorson/Arizona

There are links across the top for other photos, it isn't obvious. I hope that works!

-Scott

1 person likes this

Posted

I published this on a web page instead, try http://web.me.com/scottthorson/Arizona

There are links across the top for other photos, it isn't obvious. I hope that works!

-Scott

Yes, I was able to see them. Can you do me a favor and ship me the airplane called a "Bumblebee?"... :D

It is sooooooo cute.

Dave