This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ducks against the sea...

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I went out this morning to give Chato (the pooch, err, not me) a break, and found myself innapropriately dressed. While it wasn't that cold, the wind was blowing at forty fifty miles an hour. So I only stayed a relatively short time, and spent most of that with my hands in my pockets. But I did run into this flock of Brandts Geese, and they were struggling in a life and death battle against nature. Well, maybe not. In fact they seemed to be enjoying this. At worst, if I could interview one of them he would have said, "No big deal Jack, we Live here. Remember?"

BRANDT5.JPG

While it may be routine for them, I was struck with this, climbing the wave routine...

BRANDT6.JPG

One of them takes time out from this, err, desperate struggle to munch down some eel grass, their favorite food.

BRANDT8.JPG

Some of the waves were a good ten feet high, and that's respectable by any standard.

BRANDT9.JPG

The Brandt Goose, is strictly a marine bird, and they almost went extinct about fifteen years ago. Something killed off their food supply; eel grass almost disappearing. Their numbers dropped like a stone until one Brandt genius talked or quacked the survivors into eating the grass that grows on highway borders. Their numbers grew again, and as a bonus the eel grass made a comeback.

I like these little social geese. I couldn't resist the title of this thread... :D

Dave

3 people like this

Posted

Plus, they aren't covered in oil!

-Scott

Posted

Plus, they aren't covered in oil!

-Scott

LOL!

Tes indeed. From time to time I come to the sea, when it's rough, and cold, and I wonder how long I would survive. And last Saturday, it was rough, as rough as these protected bays get, although no doubt I've missed some bad times...

And here are these little geese, having a great time. I would need a video to show this, but they were flipping themselves over the crests, and while I hesitate to anthropomorphize, at least I know that they weren't uncomfortable. :)

Dave

Posted

Really enjoyed those excellent photos.

Posted

I'm working to hard cleaning up after Sandy to go visit this beach, so I have no idea of the effects of a hurricaine on these little Geese - And for that matter I have no idea if I have a beach to go back to.

But much thanks for the compliment

Dave

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0