This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

"Does Fascism lurk around the corner for the US?"

62 posts in this topic

Posted

I have missed, until now, an actual new thread, with multiple responses, at TGL. :shock:

Posted

FWIW, it was an old thread from 2011, but the OP decided to perform necromancy and resurrect it in light of the next president of the United States, Darn Old Trump. :heh: 

Posted

FWIW, it was an old thread from 2011, but the OP decided to perform necromancy and resurrect it in light of the next president of the United States, Darn Old Trump. :heh: 

Ah, I see that now. But there has been a fair amount of comment after the necromancy, so maybe we can keep this thing going. :deal:

Posted

How close are we to civil war in the USA, or to WW3?!

Perhaps my pre-occupation with death in another thread, and to evil in another thread, brings me to my pessimism being expressed in this thread. Unless, of course, this whole conversation here is being treated as a joke, as I have already suggested, and the sanity which we exhibit in TGL will manifest itself in American politics. But again I repeat, I am not holding my breath.

Michael S. Pearl suggests it is not useful to compare the current presidential and economic cicumstances with Germany or Italy in the 1920's and 30's, but some commentators are doing precisely that. Are we really on the slippery slope to fascism in the USA, or is it the end of the Republican Party as we know it? However, a one-party state, in this case presumably the Democratic Party, could become just as authoritarian as any other. Perhaps the two-term only presidency is one safety valve which would avoid this?

Posted

"Trump is not the problem" has to be a truism of the first order. He may become a problem if he succeeds in becoming President, and I am suggesting that the USA would then be on the slippery slope towards a fascist state, and civil war and possibly WW3 to defeat it as in WW2.

The problem is the innate evil in all of us, and the propensity to give this evil space to flourish in an economic and socially divisive society such as the USA appears to be moving towards. Of course, as in Germany in the 1930's, many citizens would emigrate, or would stay and resist, but far more will at least acquiesce quietly, or worse they will become part of the fascist hegemony.

Michael S. Pearl's last post addresses this issue eloquently and adequately in terms of an analysis, but are we any nearer to solutions? Will the Republican Party refuse to endorse his nomination (and would he then run as an Independent?), and if the Democratic candidate becomes President will we get more of the same, and further down the road (perhaps not in my lifetime) will we still be confronting the possibilities of civil strife or worse?

I was about to post this little piece, but I then came across this, following the watching of a short interview on CNN of Jonathan Weiler.

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424/trump-authoritarianism

My trends of observation and thought are not my own but have been around for quite some time. Authoritarianism is on the rise it appears, I wonder if and how it will end?

Posted

Not sure why you posted that as an attachment rather than straight to the forum, but I'd comment that your final sentence there itself probably encapsulates the real threat to democracy.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

What Peter said. Here are a few relevant links, all recent:

https://t.co/EyQmsYJxFi (Washington Post uses the word Fascism)

https://t.co/cj6HMk6pG6  (The Year of the Political Troll - The New Yorker)

https://t.co/PaIvHRc64F (The Dangerous Acceptance of Donald Trump - The New Yorker)

https://t.co/PniUiB7dj9 (Is Trump a Fascist? A historian of fascism weighs in)

Fun Fact. The French term "fachosphère" denotes the fascist internet. I wonder what's DCD is up to, since they closed his xenophobic account. :lol: 

People like William Gibson who lived in Greece under the Colonels, and Spain under Franco knew what fascism was. That is why the term "fascism" used to describe any US political reality was hyperbolic, until Donald Trump. Gibson claimed this is 100% American fascism.

Edited by The Heretic
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Many thanks, The Heretic, for the links. I too have found quite a number (I referred to one in the Guardian UK but did not give the link), therefore the possibility of fascism in the USA is certainly a popular topic amongst the pundits, and is, of course, in the title of this thread.

The question remains, whether or not the USA could become a fascist state rather than a democratic one, accepting the simplistic definitions of these forms of government? Obama has recently assured the Vietnamese that Donald Trump will not become president, but even assuming this, the movement worldwide against democracy is on the increase. Cameron says he will meet with Trump if he becomes elected, even though a while ago he said he would not allow him to enter the UK because of his pronouncements concerning Muslims. To maintain "the special relationship" I guess he would have no alternative!

We all have to wait and see. I say to Peter that I no longer care because I am old and not bothered any more, but that is not to say that I am not interested or concerned. In fact, this world prospect of the rise of authoritarianism (if not fascism) seems to be to me very disappointing, being an arm-chair anarchist (with my acknowledgements to Paul Feyerabend)!

Edited by Mathsteach2
PF was not an armchair anarchist, I think.

Posted

Twitter closed DCD's account?? :confused:

Posted

Now that Trump is President Elect, I have had a re-read of this thread, including the links in it. We certainly seem to be heading for a tumultuous term of office (if it lasts), and I remain interested but glad to be out of it now, at my age.

1 person likes this