This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NFL 2012 Playoff picks

3 posts in this topic

Posted

The season's over, and I returned to 66% winning ratio (154-79).

Should be a fantastic playoff weekend:

Bengals @ Texans

Although the Bengals have a great QB to WR combo in Dalton & Green, they're up against what might be the most balanced defense in the league. So they need RB Benson to come through. If the Texans score on defense, it's over. Since they have a third-string taking snaps, the Texans will be riding their running backs Foster & Tate. But they're facing a stubborn & deep Bengals DL who will match up with their imposing OL very well. I'm going for the upset here: Bengals by 3

Lions @ Saints

Everyone in the stadium this Saturday will know when Megatron's getting the ball, and the Saints will try to double team him every down. So the Saints must pressure QB Stafford before his WR have the time to run their routes. QB Brees will get his, but the Saints' RB is key in this game. The RB corps should capitalize on the Lions' slow LB and extra-aggressive DL, so expect screen plays and draw traps. With the WR and TE spreading the Lions' D thin, Sproles will find daylight all day long.

Saints by 9

Steelers @ Broncos

RB Mendenhall is gone, which means QB Roethlisberger is forced to carry the offense by himself. The backup RB Redman might surprise and exploit the Broncos' weak run defense. If the Broncos can't terrorize the QB, their decaying secondary will not contain the Steelers' WR. Now, can QB Tebow recapture his magic in the playoffs? He's up against a ferocious, rabid defense that can blitz him without sacrificing cover guys. D coordinator Dick LeBeau is going to throw him the kitchen sink, and force Tebow to beat them from the pocket. Fat chance.

Steelers by 13

Falcons @ Giants

The Falcons are versatile across the board (WR White, Jones, Douglas, Weems, TE Gonzalez) and that depth will expose the Giants' secondary. The OL must stop the Giants' holy terror at DL, Pierre-Paul & Umenyiora, and they're entirely capable. QB Ryan seems poised for a run in the playoffs. OTOH, QB Manning is at the top of his game, but he's playing against a solid secondary with playmakers that match-up well with the Giants' WR. Since their RB has not been reliable this year, Manning has to do way too much.

Falcons by 4

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm going ot disagree with two of your picks. I don't think any of the animal-themed teams will win this weekend. Bengals Texans will be close, but I expect the Texans to eke out the win. Either way though, I wouldn't expect either team to get past the semifinal next week.

Giants Falcons could go either way depending on which team decides to show up. Both teams have looked pretty bad at times in the regular season, but the Giants have a better track record in the playoffs.

Posted

I love the description of Pierre-Paul and Umenyiora as the holy terror. :) At some stage can you give your views on the draft? Shouldn't the Colts take RG3 instead of Luck?