This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Anyone interested in correspondence?

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Okay this is a long shot and probably nothing will happen, but I'd be interested in a correspondence just for learning stuff. If you're reading this and you're not a member of the site or you somehow randomly came across this in a search engine or something, that's cool, sign up and PM me. If you're reading this for the first time and its an old post, that's okay, because the things I'm interested in that I mentioned, like... I won't just completely forget it or something, you can totally still talk to me about it, in fact I want you to.

The way this would work, we would acquire the same materials, and we would just... give our thoughts on whatever it is that we're learning and ask questions to each other. It would require a lot of time, but at the same time, it would be really casual. I'm not looking for someone that is interested in hardcore studying something for hours a day, I'm looking for someone that loves learning and is interested in similar things, and is willing to perhaps spend a small amount of time (not even every day, like once a week or less even), giving their thoughts on the same subject and the same materials or whatever... asking questions, just wanting to learn for the sake of it.

And you don't need to feel like you have to write an essay or something that's correct or something, what's important is that you're thinking and you sincerely enjoy learning about whatever it is. Also, this isn't for homework, I'm only interested if you're interested. No commitment though, if you just have a single thought or question and you lose interest, screw it, it's okay, please, I want you to communicate that single thought or question to me. Don't be shy, I'm a cool guy. I'll never think you're taking yourself too seriously, or you're stupid or something--I don't care, at all. I've been on online communities since I was 9, I'm 21 years old now, I understand. I work part-time, I'm not in school, so I have time.

Things I'm interested in atm--in other words, I'd be willing to have a little correspondence concerning the following. I have widely varying levels of knowledge and experience with the following:

linear algebra/modern algebra/calculus

Thinking It Through by Kwame Appiah

japanese/russian/filipino

mathematica

financial markets/economics

human physiology

electronic music

art of any kind

I don't sit down and learn about all these things, every day, or even every week, note. Kind of sporadic. There's 24 hours in a day, plus my brain would explode.

"But I'm on TGL, why wouldn't I just make a thread about it, that's what this site is about right?"

That's true, but there aren't that many active members here, let's face it, plus we're on the internet and people with VASTLY different personalities, experiences, and knowledge from different countries and cultures may read or see something and have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever. Not only that, but they would actually have to expend the energy to sign up, do the little confirmation in their damn email, go back to the site, sign in, click to the appropriate subforum, spend the time tapping on their keyboard with advanced English (some people may not be native speakers), thinking of something that would seem 'acceptable' to the standards here if that's on their mind, wondering if anyone would actually be interested or care enough just to read what they have to say, and so on and so forth. There's all these requirements, so I dunno, I just had this thought this morning and figured I might post this and see what happens.

The key here is: goal-less learning. We're learning to learn, nothing more. Society wants you to be productive, to have a goal, to create economic growth, to accomplish something, to produce a 'result' otherwise it's useless or worse--screw that. Be idle. Simply by learning about whatever, and experiencing new things in your life, you will become a more tolerant and happier person. I dunno, someone out there will disagree with that, but that's how I see it. And that's totally cool, you should challenge me on that if you disagree haha.

Speaking from personal experience, it's an amazing feeling when you learn to see something from someone else perspective, someone who might even be expressing hatred and disgust toward something you do in your life, something about your identity, something about some -ism you agree with... I dunno there's a million things. Overtime, I've felt less cynical, less disgusted, less depressed, less targeted, less insecure, less scared, less defensive ... Of course a lot of things have happened in my life, but certainly the simple act of learning about more things has contributed.

It's difficult organizing stuff like this on the internet. You don't know me. You don't know my life. I may have shared some things on this forum and maybe some regulars know some things about my life, but only a fraction of it. I haven't shared every single dimension of my mind. We aren't going to meet somewhere, other than as words on a display in a random unspecified time. You might wonder if it's even worth it.

There's a benefit though. Compared to the 'time exchange' in my city (people with special skills will get together and teach each other things at no charge), you can be a total noob or 12 years old or something and you can still share things easily on the internet with little to no commitment. Plus if you're shy and you don't wanna meet random strangers IRL, the internet is convenient.

To the regulars: just in case this crossed someone's mind, don't think I'm trying to take something away from the site (if you do this, nobody will post omg, this place is dead already omg). That won't happen. If something thread worthy or post worthy or something appears, then the moderators will split the thread, or that person or me or someone will make a new thread. I dunno, just don't think about those things, it will get taken care of. TGL is just... the kind of place where that would happen.

***Example of how this would work***

So you read the post above, and I dunno, you wanna learn Japanese because you watched some anime and now you're a Japanophile. I don't know you at all, you don't know me, you don't even post on this site. So you do the whole registration process and it's a pain in the ass, and now you have some options.

You could do something like reply to this thread directly

Hi Michio, I'm interested in learning Japanese. How did you begin? Can you recommend some learning materials?

I came across this sentence I didn't understand. 今は雪が降って歩いていけませんよ. There's two verbs in this sentence that come one after the other, I don't understand what the て verb is doing in this sentence. I thought that was the imperative form, is the speaker making a command? I don't get how multiple verbs work in a sentence.

I would reply back, perhaps not immediately, I will make a decent effort in return considering you took the time and effort to sit down and post this and believe it was worth your time in some way.

Maybe you're learning linear algebra, you're getting serious:

Hey do you have some idea on how to approach this problem: Prove that if A and B are matrices of the same order, then (A + B)^T = A^T + B^T. The ^T means transpose.

I will reply back, give you my thoughts, maybe I have no idea. I'm still going to make an effort though.

You saw something random thing on youtube and it was related to something I'm interested in.

I saw this cool video on youtube about derps, have you seen this?

I will reply back:

- Haven't. That's interesting, but I feel like _______. I don't know though, what if ______?

- Yeah I've seen it. Have you seen Blowhard's take on it? [link] It's pretty funny, he says some interesting stuff about ______.

Just painted this, what do you think?

I'm not an artist, but I will try to analyze whatever it is from some perspective, be honest about what feels good and what doesn't...

I'd love to read _____. Have you read it? Would you be interested in reading it with me?

I'll say no if it's no. I'll say yes if it's yes.

Even if it's something silly or whatever... I have no idea, it doesn't matter.

The requirement here is that you're sincere about learning, and you understand that learning isn't about being right, or being on time, or being perfect, or producing a good to be consumed by society. Learning is not making judgments.

We could have a debate/argument if both of us just happen to know about something and just felt passionate about it for whatever reason and the conversation steered that way and so on and so forth... So I guess the requirement is more fundamentally: don't have expectations.

---

Key question: Is this worth the time/effort? True, the success of this depends largely on me. If someone actually read this, made some big post and introduced themselves and everything and I didn't reply halfway promptly, failure. I dunno, I guess you'll just have to find out and see.

You know, I have gone out and actually read or watched or done some things that random people here have posted. Off the top of my head, The Meaning of Life by Viktor Frankl. Qualia suggested to someone (not even to me, I don't even think I posted) to read that, or just made some generic statement about it recommending it. I actually have that book in my possession. I physically went took the time/money/effort to acquire it, and read it, and I did enjoy it, it was interesting. New perspectives, new knowledge, new things to think about because being human and alive is awesome. Even if I thought it was shitty and dumb it doesn't matter, I thought about it, I could form a criticism about it, share it sometime in the future, debate with someone to appreciate new perspectives, my reading comprehension increased slightly since I had to make some effort to read the words and extract the ideas they represent etc.--worth it.

Other times people have definitely told me to read or do something and I never did or didn't care.

You're right though, it's a long shot. I should probably list some specific things so someone doesn't make an attempt to share something with me and I have absolutely no clue what they're talking about or anything.

There is one positive thing (I find) about school. When you're physically living near a school, and going to a physical school building and you all signed up together and maybe paid money and made all these plans so it works out and you're all stressed and have relatively equal knowledge on the subject, and you're all doing the same homework and reading the same books etc. it's easy to seek your peers for guidance. I actually think it's best for people with similar knowledge on something to teach each other and ask each other questions.

So for example Japanese, there's a lot of things there I could work on with you, there's some Japanese fiction I could share (in PDF format), I have some grammar books, grammar guides online that I know about.

Same for math stuff.

Economics could be interesting, we could talk about current events and analyze it using tools we've gained from reading about economics. We could read articles online together and try to understand it.

With mathematica, we could share code.

We could watch videos together.

You could post a single time and just update me on what you're doing, and I would encourage you to keep going. You could post a few times, lose interest, then never post again. You could become my mysterious lifelong friend that you secretly confide in and we would never meet IRL and it would be all dramatic and beautiful. We might find out we live close to each other, somehow it works out that we meet IRL, go chill, have a smoke if you're into that, sell all of our possessions, build a rowboat and sail across the Pacific to Mongolia, move to a tranquil village, kill the leader, marry the village princesses, and live as kings.

I dunno ... no expectations.

I can give one general suggestion though, knowing absolutely nothing about you. Go to khanacademy.org and check out Sal's stuff (sign up with your gmail acct so you can track your progress, I have 981k points atm, so close to 1+ million). This guy knows how to teach... anything. And he's so human. There's so much sincere wonder in his tone of voice, and he doesn't sound like he's making a company training video, I want to listen to him all day. He's a genius to me. I would be willing to watch whatever videos with you.

Of course you could just post a comment/question on the form they have on each video and forget about me, that's cool.

P.S. It's important to not be scared to say something. We've talked about this so much on TGL. Maybe it's kind of arrogant for me to be asking publicly, "Hey I'm cool, does anyone wanna hang out with me?" but that's how confident I am. I've ... put things into my body and I've come to realize it's okay that there's different people in the world, even really toxic individuals, and this universe is so huge, and it's amazing that human beings can share things with each other. My perspective has changed so much from before that it's humbled me. I feel like I can't claim to be anything, but at the same time, I feel so secure with myself atm that I don't even understand what offense or anger or stress is, and it makes no sense to me why you would call something stupid (illogical perhaps, impractical, behind-the-times, unethical... but stupid?) or get mad at things. I just don't care, anymore... I just want to meet people and learn new things and experience new things, it's a lot of fun.

Edited by Michio
4 people like this

Posted

Just a quick note to say this is an excellent idea. I very frequently lament the absence of collaborative "learning," e.g., working with a friend to understand a given topic, having a mentor (think Bernoulli and L'Hopital, for instance), etc. I was just talking to my wife about how to engage our kids and ourselves, and this fits in well. In fact, it's the kind of thing Hugo, others, and I talked about a couple of years ago when we were figuring out what TGL may become. (I've obviously fallen off that scene, to my chagrin.)

More soon.

Posted

Nice post, Michio. I've had a look through the things you're interested in and although nothing jumps at me straight away, we might have a thing or two in common.

Music is an obvious biggy. Over 55,000 songs and growing and a decent and educated % of that is electronic. Economics: I'm interested in studying and deconstructing neoliberalism/neoclassicalism. A part of this area involves picking apart its economic theory and demonstrating its weaknesses (supply/demand curves, indifference curves, pivot point income, utility etc). Philosophy: I 'have' one of those honour-uni-degree things in this field which really doesn't mean anything other than the ability to cough up dough to do the course, read a few books, sit down and write a few essays and memorise what was asked and spurt the stuff come exam time, but it might help if there are basic problems you are dealing with. Other than that, I have a general and broad interest in critical theory and continental (European) philosophy.

Like most here, I have a broad and healthy interest in reading and cultural study in general. To this I can add that I have many, many, many volumes of notes I've made from most stuff I've read, so this might be of interest (probably over 60 volumes). As an example, the stuff I've posted recently on Heidegger is how my notes run on that particular thinker, same kindof structure runs through most other topics and writers taken from. Other than that, I'm fluent in both English and Spanish, have a decent understanding of their grammar, a pretty decent cook and cocktail maker, love films and travel.

If you feel there might be something here, just let me know.

Posted

Michio,

This is a great idea! If you'd be up to it I'd like collaboratively learn/understand financial markets/economics with you. It's funny you mention the Khan Academy because I signed up the other day and immediately watched the succession of videos about Inflation and Deflation. Sal is a pretty smart guy.

As for what I could offer:

I'm really into history and I would venture to say I have a wealth of knowledge about anything from the (to be oddly specific) Harrapan Civilization to the present day and most events/civilizations in between. Perhaps I'm biased but I think history kind of encompasses a lot of ideas and concepts (politics, philosophy, economics, theology) so it's always a good starting point for delving deeper into certain disciplines.

My university offers free language courses that meet once a week and I'm going to try to learn Turkish and Greek, I could post my notes or scan the worksheets and upload them or something.

Speaking of history, I just got this book by Niall Ferguson called "The Ascent of Money", which is essentially a history of finance. I think if we'd want to study finance, it'd be a good idea to know the history of it and how it has evolved.

Also, to anyone else looking for an interesting read (well it has been so far) check out Walter Russell Mead's God and Gold: Britain, America and the Making of the Modern World. Mead is a superb, concise, and clever writer, so for any history buffs or soon-to-be history buffs out there, the library awaits.

Posted (edited)

Muraii:

I've always dreamed of having a personal mentor, just someone I could go to for everything and guide me and confide in, either that, or becoming one myself.

---

Soleo:

I'm not really well-read into music, such as the stuff you study when you go to university and take a class like "History of Western Music" or something. I should qualify that I'm interested in--as a whole--electronic dance music/rave culture/event planning/party planning.

I'm totally serious when I say I'm interested in questions like, "What would be the perfect party?", "What is the goal of a party?", "What is a party?". Looking at things such as how to promote music, the cultural dynamic between music producers, EDM disc jockeys, consumers, rave-goers etc., the influence of pop culture on the less-than-mainstream EDM and vice versa... things like that.

There's even politics in rave culture such as with Jimmy Intent coming to Texas (with his org 'Massive Intent') and there were some controversy about it and people were trashing their events.

It's really interesting, the rave scene is absolutely exploding in America. It's practically gone mainstream. Generation Y (my generation) is digging it. Prior to the exposure of musical styles like dubstep and dnb around 2007ish and the inclusion of EDM elements and such into pop music, nobody in my generation seemed to be interested and basically just thought raves and "techno" were retarded. Now everyone and their grandma is hitting up events and is interested in the music. Major music distributors seem to have found a way to market this type of music to a previously hesitant consumer group.

There's a lot of other things to think about. I read a small essay about the reasons why genre naming is prevalent among electronic music culture and its effects. There are dozens of significant genres that circulate among people that are apart of electronic music culture, and most people accept it. Among other musical cultures, people are more likely to level criticism at you for one reason or another if you employ these esoteric genre names when discussing the music, rather than referring to artists and bands themselves and using just a few (or less) genre names.

With economics... I took micro and macro economics as a class. I did well, I know some stuff. I've done about 130 tax returns as well, I even know about some American tax laws haha. I mostly just want to learn about the financial markets though, nothing specific. I'm critical of capitalism and the way people seem to think you either have capitalism or you have communism/socialism and nothing else. Nothing else is worth considering. This is black and white thinking, and there are other viable alternatives, it's just the political environment and the environment itself, isn't conducive to these other alternatives yet. Maybe once we pollute the Earth enough and there's a massive climate crisis, or a massive war, something else will happen.

Philosophy... non-specific to me. I'm just going through that one book, and it's broad, 1600s-now, European-centric. It's relevant to me however.

I should really get on Spanish... I live in Texas. -__- Actually I've been planning on enlisting for a while. I'd like to get into a linguistics program, prolly the Air Force. I'm only casually looking at Russian and Filipino out of curiosity and to get exposed to new grammars so I'm more comfortable in general with acquiring language.

Japanese is the only one where I would like to achieve near-native fluency.

---

Meursault:

Haven't heard of either of those people. Niall Ferguson sounded familiar, looked him up, he seems significant, I might read that book.

Sal used to be an analyst for a mutual fund I think. You can trust his finance videos.

---

I gotta go but some random things quickly:

linear algebra/modern algebra/calculus

• linear algebra by bronson & costa, linear algebra by apostol, calculus by apostol, calculus eighth ed by larson, hostetler, edwards
  • verityseeker on youtube has cool algebra videos
  • paul dawkins' notes on algebra, calculus, differential equations
  • "How to Prove It" by Velleman, "How to Solve It" by Polya

japanese/russian/filipino

• japanese: i got a ton of stuff, anime, movies, tv shows, books, like 4 grammar books, i know good websites online, bilingual dictionary, google wakan for a good kanji study tool that helps you learn meanings and stroke order</font>
  • russian: russianpod101 really good, i don't normally endorse products but trust me, go to innovativelanguage.com, pimsleur is ok but not worth the price IMO, i use everything though, and the audio helps me get comfortable hearing and saying the language without even seeing text, for pimsleur I recommend scheduling a time period where you can cram all 90 lessons in a very short time such as over a few weeks or less, don't stretch out 90 lessons over 90 days... also 90 lessons = 45 hours
  • filipino: it's really hard to find stuff on filipino, I have "Learn Filipino" by victor romero

mathematica

• I have a pdf "student's introduction to mathematica". It teaches you how to use mathematica in the context of solving algebraic/calculus/differential equations problems. It's about 300 pgs.

financial markets/economics

• seekingalpha.com , investopedia.com , wall street journal , Barron's economics 4th ed. , the thinkorswim platform is good for online trading , you can open an account, put no actual money in it, download the program, and it lets you use pretend money so you can trade just like you would for real, except it's not real money of course

human physiology

• I've been trying to get stronger, I wanna know how the body works so I can treat it right and achieve my goals. muscleandmotion.com check it out. exrx.net is awesome. I'm interested in the biochemistry of psychoactive substances. I have a pharmacology book and some other things.

electronic music

• di.fm I've been listening to them since the 7th grade. I know some other stuff too. I've bought songs from beatport.com. Pricey, a lot of electronic music tends to be so wherever you look however.

Edited by Michio

Posted

Sounds like a great idea, Michio! :-D

I’d definitely be interested in a collaborative reading once I’m through with some stuff I’m working on, and I’m done reading Being and Time. That may take a while. Throw in the fact that I’ll be moving soon, and I’m probably not even going to be able to commit to anything as noncommittal as that for some time. But anyone who just wants to chat or something is welcome.

As far as my interests go, my primary interest is the psychology of dreams. It’s kind of an esoteric specialty to have, I know, but I find them and other unconscious phenomena fascinating. I’m knowledgeable about pretty much all the contemporary schools of thought, and many of the main historical ones, as well as special subject areas like lucid dreaming. I could talk/write about this stuff all day, but I also know when to shut up about it because I realize most of the world doesn’t find it as interesting as I do. :)

Aside from that, I‘m interested in psychology in general, and I’m pretty knowledgeable about its history/various movements. I’m not so up on sociology but would like to be, so maybe that’s something others here would be interested in studying with me? I’d also like to be more up on the philosophy of mind-- I’m much more used to approaching the mind from the direction of psychology.

I’m also interested in history, art, language, philosophy, and any combination of them with each other and/or psychology and/or dreams. At the present time, my status concerning them consists of random pockets of knowledge amid vast stretches of ignorance, so I can’t really say anything more specific.

I am usually not studying all of this at once, except when I am.

Oh, and I may not be able to study something if the necessary materials can’t be found online. But I guarantee that if you want to study anything that has to do with any of the fields above, and you can convince me that it‘s a good idea-- which shouldn’t be difficult as long as it isn’t heavily focused on politics or economics-- I’ll be willing to give it a shot.

To sum it all up, I’m into a ridiculous amount of stuff, most of which is encompassed by the liberal arts.

You mentioned art, Michio-- maybe there’s something there we could talk about.

Meursault-- I’d love to have your Greek notes up! I’ve been focusing on studying Czech these past few months at the expense of Greek, and I wouldn‘t want to forget what I already know.

I've always dreamed of having a personal mentor, just someone I could go to for everything and guide me and confide in, either that, or becoming one myself.

I had an anti-mentor once. It was pretty awesome. :)

Posted

how about this?

me : I am interested in correspondence

you : great ! let's send each other emails

me : no hang on, I got an idea, why not make our correspondence public, for example, in the form of a thread on these forums?

you : maybe, but I wouldn't want lots of people to interfere in the conversation

or

you : maybe, but I wouldn't want everyone to read what we say to each other

me : well if you don't want everyone to read what we say to each other, I'd rather not, sorry. However, if it's only a question of "people interfering" in the conversation ;

a) you could simply ignore their posts

B) there may be a way to lock a thread so that only specific people are "allowed" to post in it?

in which case, I'd be happy to :)

Posted

Am I missing something, or is the whole raison d'etre behind this thread to post each other interesting views and facts about a topic of one's choosing?

You can work out from there where my incredulity rests.

Posted

Am I missing something, or is the whole raison d'etre behind this thread to post each other interesting views and facts about a topic of one's choosing?

You can work out from there where my incredulity rests.

you're not asking me by any chance?