This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NHL 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Better late than never, eh? :lol:

davidm and I have been talking hockey in chat since the playoffs started and we both discussed who we thought would advance. As surprising as how a few of the series have been played thus far, the biggest surprise has been how intense most of the games have been. Things tend to ramp up the closer you get to the Finals, but at this rate they'll all be sucking wind by the third round!

Rather than go into any sort of lengthy discussion explaining my picks this round, I'm just going to state them, warts and all.

Eastern Division

Rangers vs. Senators

Bruins vs. Capitals

Panthers vs. Devils

Penguins vs. Flyers (yeah, right)

Western Division

Canucks vs. Kings

Blues vs. Sharks

Coyotes vs. Blackhawks (:sadcheer:)

Predators vs. Red Wings (sorry Dave!)

Although I don't have a clear favorite to carry the Cup, I expect it will be Nashville or St. Louis out of the West and New York or New Jersey out of the East.

Anybody else have any predictions?

1 person likes this

Posted

Don't be "yeah right" on the Pens just yet, Mr. G, they have rebounded fiercely and I believe they will win the next two games. Philly after taking the first 3 games is suddenly on the ropes.

Posted

What an amazing group of games this weekend!

Nashville finished off Detroit, St. Louis finished off San jose, Philly finished off Pittsburgh and LA finished of Vancouver.

New York, New Jersey and Chicago are all in trouble.

In other hockey news, Raffi Torres was given a 25 game suspension for

hit on Marian Hossa. The NHL has been trying to cut down on headshots and dangerous plays in general this season (and post-season). Torres is a repeat offender for playing on the edge of dirty. 25 games sends a clear message to the rest of the league about what will and what will not be tolerated, but is it excessive?

Posted (edited)

Any further thoughts on the playoffs, Godot? Looks good for The Rangers.

For true hockey aficionados, all eight games of the 1972 Summit Series are now online, complete and uncut, rather than just the highlights of the games that have been around for a while. And, as a delightful bonus, the games are called by the Russian commentator. Evidently these were uploaded by some Russian media outfit. This was the first meeting ever between the Soviet national team and the stars of the NHL, and it ushered in the true era of international hockey. Game One, complete, is

Canada entered the series favored to win all eight games. In game one Canada scored thirty seconds into the game, and then added a second goal shortly after that. Then the Soviets roared back and won the game 7-3. Suicides all over Canada that night. :yup: Two magnificent goals from the great Valeri Kharlamov. Edited by davidm

Posted

I've been too busy procrastinating... I'll start a new thread for the second round.