This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

No Books Please, We're Post-Human

2 posts in this topic

Posted

I declared, some years ago, that I would never forsake my CDs for those prostitutive MP3 Players, or downloadable music in general. I now download music onto my Droid smartphone regularly. Why this refusal to stand by principle? Sometimes when a personal ethic or disposition is elevated to a deontological status, sheer silliness ensues. Accessing that which the internet has to offer in the way of near instant downloadable music renders one in the position of God choosing between which possible worlds to create. It's a matter of exposure. Music that was and would remain unknown to me absent these modes of musical access has been made unconcealed. It's grand (I declare to, though fictional and likely deceased, Holden Caulfield's chagrin).

I feel it incumbent upon myself to make another declaration:

I shall never forsake my books! Paper books, the kind constituted by wood straight off the blade of the saw, the paper of which has chunks of wood large enough in them to impale your thumb or feed the collective total of the world's termites.

I shall augment this post/thread into the more general topic of technology as ontology (and why I shall remain loyal to my books) and other such things sooner than later.

Posted

With the advent of the internet, the full range and scope of human perversity is on display as never before in human history. It is not so much that there has been some kind of devolution in the terms by which the interpersonal happens, there has not been some recent fall from grace in which the utopia of a former age only occasionally presents itself to our minds, as if a desert wrecked airplane, covered by half a century of sand, which shines underneath the light of the sun only when the wind is strong enough, in the empirical sense, things have always been bad: child molestation, starvation, torture chambers, disease, etc. Of course, it can develop into a dogma in itself to maintain that there have not been, are not, and are not to come, states of affairs fundamentally better than others and that discovering the conditions rendering such states possible is impossible. Through the crosswinds, over the peaks and valleys, withstanding so many brands of change, stands the human subject, John Galt-like in its audacity and resiliency.

Wait a tic! "Man" is an ideological construction, historically bound to modes of understanding, and as such, one can see when he came into being and one can see, if one's vision is attuned to the cultural and philosophic horizon, his demise. Per Foucault. Maybe its for the best, maybe it's not the job of the philosopher to act as guardian of "man," as he has been contingently understood. Perhaps "man" needs to die. The magic mirror (the internet) that now clearly reveals with the masks taken off, man in the shadows, slithering through the rocks, when alone, etc, may be our undoing, and I mean this quite literally. "Man" may become so utterly sickened by what he sees, if the right "memes" go viral, he may choose to stop reproducing and let the human race go extinct. Pro-natalists will be branded terrorists and forcibly sterilized. Abortions, if one should dare commit the atrocity of attempting to impose life on what otherwise was peacefully non-existent, will be mandatory. Books, those pesky books not of pessimistic ilk, will be destroyed.

How could evolution go so wrong? By what means in the evolutionary process did there come to pass a creature, in theory at least, capable of erasing there very process responsible for its existence, capable of :dcd: