This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Music you like...

343 posts in this topic

Posted

I always liked "Switched on Bach", I think I started listening to it when I was 5 or 6. I was looking for a YouTube video of Wendy Carlos's versions but couldn't find any at all, this person comes close to the sound but it isn't exact, as an example, I highly recommend it of course. It is probably on a torrent somewhere, and I gave away the original record I had, probably a stupid idea ;) (again, this video is not Wendy Carlos, just pretty close).

Here is her website http://www.wendycarlos.com/

-Scott

Posted

This is a nice, classic song, but that is not why I chose the video. It is because the lyrics fit almost perfectly to Vincent van Gogh life and paintings. Beautiful.

I dedicate this to Davidm whom has had a lot of patience for my lack of responsibility (all the topic I left undone and promises, etc). :)

Posted (edited)

This day today, I've been enjoying stuff from this - as known - relatively obscure artist called Adam Hurst:

Edited by soleo

Posted

:soleo: Aye, memory of a few days in Ibiza this summer. I ask, why would anyone want to live anywhere in the world but Spain?

Posted

Posted (edited)

Heatbeat has an awesome style. Ever since I heard this duo's early remixes, they've been in the top of my list. The electro texture of the steel synths and the bass, the contrast between the angelic sweeping soundscapes and the impatient beat that can't wait to get the party started during the breakdowns, just the right pace between each section of the song, so I'm never bored, and yet still satisfied... And quality production.

Trance music has really moved away from the balearic style and toward a more tech-y house-y style.

Some ambient/post rock. I got into this music when I first heard Explosions in the Sky and Sigur Ros in middle school.

Trance remix of a Coldplay song, really well done. My god.

Edited by Michio

Posted

Etta James, one of the greatest singers of the twentieth century, died today. She had a fascinating, roller coaster life, the stuff of legend, the stuff you could make into a hundred films, a life you could look on and say, that was destiny. And as fitting with most musicians of any significance, she kept herself distant from mainstream banality and recognition and only belatedly gained widespread attention when some of her songs either showed up in tacky, tinsel-town Hollywood, or were 'sang' by lesser lights of wider appeal.

It's impossible to sum a career that spanned some six decades, and indeed, a lot of her albums over that period are not really worth digging into, but anyone who pretends to have even the most minimal interest in modern music cannot be without Etta's Chess 50th Anniversary Collection and the 1960 album, At Last.

Here's a couple of highlights from a most impressive life. ¡Viva Etta! ¡Viva!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YApNirMC9gM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1uunRdQ61M

P.S. Sorry about the shitty videos, but it's the music that counts, right?

Posted

Also in the Soul genre, it's Ray Charles, complete with awesome video:

Posted

I always liked "Switched on Bach", I think I started listening to it when I was 5 or 6. I was looking for a YouTube video of Wendy Carlos's versions but couldn't find any at all, this person comes close to the sound but it isn't exact, as an example, I highly recommend it of course. It is probably on a torrent somewhere, and I gave away the original record I had, probably a stupid idea ;) (again, this video is not Wendy Carlos, just pretty close).

Here is her website http://www.wendycarlos.com/

-Scott

Cool...Walter/Wendy (had a sex change) Carlos. Liked her (his - still think of her as a him - hard to break an old habit) music since I saw clockwork orange all those years ago. Haven't thought about this album in awhile, think I'll go toss it on...thanks!!!

Etta James, one of the greatest singers of the twentieth century, died today. She had a fascinating, roller coaster life, the stuff of legend, the stuff you could make into a hundred films, a life you could look on and say, that was destiny. And as fitting with most musicians of any significance, she kept herself distant from mainstream banality and recognition and only belatedly gained widespread attention when some of her songs either showed up in tacky, tinsel-town Hollywood, or were 'sang' by lesser lights of wider appeal.

It's impossible to sum a career that spanned some six decades, and indeed, a lot of her albums over that period are not really worth digging into, but anyone who pretends to have even the most minimal interest in modern music cannot be without Etta's Chess 50th Anniversary Collection and the 1960 album, At Last.

Here's a couple of highlights from a most impressive life. ¡Viva Etta! ¡Viva!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YApNirMC9gM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1uunRdQ61M

P.S. Sorry about the shitty videos, but it's the music that counts, right?

I saw her live in a beautiful city park in British Columbia in the late 80s. What a great show. Shame that she just passed away...

Posted

Mich, here's something for you.

http://freealbums.bl...gory/post-rock/

Besides EITS and Sigur Ros, what other post rock bands do you like?

Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats. Nothing jazzy or funky about it. Just one of the greatest acts of misdirection on unsuspecting record buyers ever. Check out the cover, it is a hoot.

Posted

Apropos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI-mDTdeKR8omebody else put up the Rossini and Beethoven tunes. Bonus points and a considerable cash sum if you can find Skadelig's 3rd Symphony, too. :muahaha:

Posted

Mich, here's something for you.

http://freealbums.bl...gory/post-rock/

Besides EITS and Sigur Ros, what other post rock bands do you like?

Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats. Nothing jazzy or funky about it. Just one of the greatest acts of misdirection on unsuspecting record buyers ever. Check out the cover, it is a hoot.

To be fair to the dupes who buy it for the jazz, jazz ain't jazz no more, or jazz is jazz, and early jazz wasn't jazz, or if a musician does jazz hands any time during a performance, s/he gets to claim his/her music as jazz or jazz-themed or jazz-inspired.

Meanwhile:

Posted

20 Jazz Funk Greats? I remember that one. Irony was still (just about) ironic in 1979. Now, it's just another marketing hook. The picture on the cover was taken (I believe) on Beachy Head, which apart from being the name of a track on the record is also a notorious suicide spot.

Posted

While 'jazz' is on the mention here: my son has started taking guitar lessons and I got myself a guitar (cheapo Chinese-made steel-strung acoustic) so I could play along with him. I've also been listening to a load of my old guitar-centred CDs and LPs (erk!). Conclusion is that 'jazz' is where the the guitar really gets a chance to show off its full potential. Classical- and rock-style guitar are each too limited in their own way, IMO. I'm not really a jazz fan, but I do like to hear great jazz improvisers, especially when they're playing in a bluesy, funky idiom. I've been listening a lot to John Scofield's 'Bump' CD (from c. 2000). It's hardly straightahead jazz, more 'left-field, funky jazz-groove' and Scofield's playing, complex yet effortless-sounding, is a delight.

Posted

"Funeral Canticle" from John Tavener's Eternity Sunrise:

1 person likes this

Posted

1 person likes this

Posted

Here is what is probably the best known part of Preisner's Requiem for My Friend, but there are other very much worthwhile parts in this piece.

1 person likes this

Posted

I've been considering fusion music today, and so here's my favourite piece by one of my favourite fusion artists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwT3mGz5MyA

Posted

Here are a couple of pieces played by Boban i Marko Markovic Orkestar:

Posted

Since Scotty will not be able to go to the Augustin Hadelich performance in Leeds next month with DaveT, instead of having DaveT video the performance as per Scotty's request, here are a few videos for Scotty to enjoy:

1 person likes this

Posted

One of the best part of the Super Bowl festivities was getting to listen to the Rebirth Brass Band in Champions Square, just outside the Superdome, before the game. What made it especially good was the fact that the out-of-towners didn't even know about Champions Square; so, it was not overly crowded as it is before Saints games when tens of thousands of the Saints fans go there to imbibe, eat, and have a good time. And since there were not hoards of folks, I even visited with a few of the band members when they took a break.

I have not found a video which captures the presence which these guys project during a live performance, but here is a video (I'd say an over-produced one) of the Rebirth Brass Band playing at the Maple Leaf Bar in New Orleans:

I haven't been to the Maple Leaf since my youth, when I'd go to hear the indomitable and unusual James Booker:

In any event, here is some more from the Rebirth Brass Band:

Posted

Here is another clip of the Rebirth Brass Band. I recorded this one during their performance in Champions Square prior to Super Bowl XLVII.

Posted

Since Scotty will not be able to go to the Augustin Hadelich performance in Leeds next month with DaveT, instead of having DaveT video the performance as per Scotty's request, here are a few videos for Scotty to enjoy:

2 and half hours before the concert starts. :faint: