This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Music you like...

343 posts in this topic

Posted

Listener, hope this link suffices? Abyssinians

Mosaic, nice choice. Roots, walkin' like its talkin'. I also have a soft spot for Dr. Alimantado's "Best Dressed Chicken in Town," and Scratch Perry's "Arkology," in fact, just about the lot that came out of Studio One or the Black Ark: Studio insight

Posted

Listener' date= hope this link suffices? Abyssinians

Mosaic, nice choice. Roots, walkin' like its talkin'. I also have a soft spot for Dr. Alimantado's "Best Dressed Chicken in Town," and Scratch Perry's "Arkology," in fact, just about the lot that came out of Studio One or the Black Ark: Studio insight

Ah, yes. I have the two cds Best of Studio one and Full up:More hits from studio one. Both cd's contain the original mix of alot of hit studio one tracks. The sound is more grainy and 'raw' which is an asset not a detriment. Excellent stuff again for anyone that wants an introduction to reggae. And thanks for those links.

Posted

If you guys like electronica of any kind, I highly recommend www.di.fm or www.liquid.fm

DI's Trance and Chill channel are simply amazing.

Oh, and I wanted to share this video featuring psy-trance/tribal by Shpongle: Flashback

Posted

Nice one mosaic :afro: Thank you for the kind words and the great thought for introducing a cool album to the folk here.

Oneiromancy, nice choice as well and great link to Shpongle! If you haven't already heard it, I reckon Hallucinogen's "In Dub" and "The Lone Deranger" albums would be right up your street. Both records have got to be some of my favourites in this genre. Oh, and check out some of the sounds on Monster Records, if you want a list of Ibiza trance fellas to check out, simply PM me.

Posted

I used to like American heavy metal like Slayer, but I moved away from that since I found the fantasy themed Euro-metal genres. Many bands coming out of that area of the world like to incorporate strings into their music which ends up sounding great. Also most bands in the "gothic metal" genre like to use opera singers as co-vocalists. Watch Nightwish for a perfect example. I must warn you this music isn't for everyone.

Nightwish - Nemo

Rhapsody - Holy Thunderforce

Stratovarius - Eagleheart

Blind Guardian - Mirror Mirror

Behemoth - Slaves Shall Serve

Sit through more than 20 seconds of this and I'll give you a reward. Haha.

:lol:

Posted

I don't listen to music much and most of the songs and artists mentioned in this thread are completely unfamiliar to me. However, today I was just introduced to the music of Diana Krall, and was totally blown away. Her rendition of "Temptation" is so cool it is hot. 8) Damn! That is one white girl who can really sing the blues. And she is a babe too.

Posted

today I was just introduced to the music of Diana Krall, and was totally blown away. Her rendition of "Temptation" is so cool it is hot. Cool Damn! That is one white girl who can really sing the blues. And she is a babe too.

She is something! I'm listening to my local jazz station right now and they are playing her version of "Willow Weep for Me" off her new CD, From This Moment On - very nice! She's got one of those great smoky voices.

Are you interested in jazz?

Posted

Sonata Clato de Luna Mov. 3 is an amazing piano solo.

Posted

Well, I am convinced that I've changed allegiances. Junior Kelly is now my favorite reggae artist doing it. If you want to listen to contemporary reggae - with a splash of all it has to offer, dancehall, roots, or the various hybrids, just pick up any of these three cds ( or all): Love so Nice, Rise, and Tough life. The albums listed are in order from first to last and each release gets progressivley better, an amazing feat in general but even more so because each album is great in its own right.

Posted

AllBlue, like I said, I don't actually listen to much music and haven't purchased more than two or three albums/CDs in the past 20 years. When I do listen I like Jazz (Thelonius Monk is a favorite), Blues (Muddy Waters is probably on the top of that list), Classic Rock (50s, 60's and early 70's) Classic Country (mostly from the 40's to the 60's) and Bluegrass. Right now in my car I think I have maybe three CDs. One mp3 disc with classic country (Jimmy Rogers, Hank Williams, Bob Wills, Hank Thompson, etc), a Best of the Beachboys (reserved for sunny summer days driving with the windows rolled down) and a Janis Joplin CD. I probably have not listened to any of them, except for Janis, in over a year. Definitely not in the afficianado class.

Angakuk

Posted

Angakuk, if you ever want to throw one or two more jazz artists into the mix, another vocalist to take a listen to would be Nancy Wilson on her early recordings. The album she did with the George Shearing Quintet back in 1960, The Swingin's Mutual, has several pretty thrilling tracks. Green Dolphin Street is something to hear. Since you like Monk you might also like John Coltrane. A Love Supreme and Giant Steps are great.

Nothing like the Beach Boys on a sunny day! :sunny:

Posted

Yeah, the young chap has got a nice plectrum technique. Its a bit too widly Malmsteen for my liking, but he's a good 'metal' picker. Is he a mate of yours?

Posted

Couldn't find him actually playing this beauty, so went in for second best, for Angakuk and AllBlue.

P.S: Don't watch the video, just sit back and mellow :D

Posted

Thank you qualia! Gotta love Chet Baker - sweet mellow voice...

Posted

Listening to The Killers right now. So far best tracks are 'Sam's Town' and 'When You Were Young'.

Good stuff, especially against the saturated UK music market stroke industry stagnant with rip-off bands, clone rangers and shallow music. So many songs about "'im'" or "'er" or getting drunk or stoned, or some rubbish.

If it weren't for such talented bands as Hell is for Heroes, I'd abandon British music.

Posted

If it weren't for such talented bands as Hell is for Heroes, I'd abandon British music.

You're mad!

Posted

Alright, then, name some decent British bands of late.

I mean, Queen and Symposium and Ash and all the rest are good, but they're not recent.

ETA - Ash aren't that good anymore. And Queen made quite a few sucky albums that many people don't seem to have heard of.

Posted

Goldfrapp, Antony & the Jonsons, Massive Attack, Muse, Portishead, Radiohead, Robert Wyatt, Basement Jaxx, P J Harvey, M.I.A, Way Out West, Belle and Sebastian, Tricky, Boards of Canada, Lemon Jelly, Arctic Monkeys, Floetry, Mogwai, Spiritualised, there's loads of great bands of late, and the list may continue...

Posted

Franz Ferdinand, Belle and Sebastian, Cold Play, Radiohead, Bloc Party, Blur, The Darkness :), David Bowie ...

Posted

Goldfrapp, Antony & the Jonsons, Massive Attack, Muse, Portishead, Radiohead, Robert Wyatt, Basement Jaxx, P J Harvey, M.I.A, Way Out West, Belle and Sebastian, Tricky, Boards of Canada, Lemon Jelly, Arctic Monkeys, Floetry, Mogwai, Spiritualised, there's loads of great bands of late, and the list may continue...

I'll give you a few Muse songs and one Arctic Monkeys song.

Rusty, you get one Bloc Party song

Posted

Now I understand, Beast. You're into distorted-power-chord type metal/punk tinge thing. Best time in the UK and USA for that kind of thing was the late 60s through to the late 70s. I mean, just check out early Black Sabbath (1970) or the Stooges (get past the hippy stuff). Although the 80s and early 90s did have some ace records made by My Bloody Valentine, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fpT8PHnPP4, Pixies, Nirvana and so on, I suppose as a genre it's getting rather limited. I understand that in the US 'white rock angst' hasn't really gone out of favour since its conception, but by the time Nirvana was catching up with the Pistols, in the UK, the driving force behind much contemporary 'pop' music were the avenues being explored via Massive Attack and Portishead, Radiohead or tunes developed within the 'dance' music genre which included the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWMIXgCaJPQ, Leftfield and

(much of my youth was spent in places like this!) amongst many. Herbert is considered one of the best UK producers and album makers at this moment, but his thing is completely house-dance-soul driven. The standard rock thing if not dead, does have an almost 50 year history, and in consequence, is often conceived as one giant lumbering dinosaur; however, with that said, Rapture are coming up with some new twists and sounds.

Posted

You can't say you don't love The Darkness.

Posted

Rusty, I never liked the Darkness, and when people told me 'You can't hate the Darkness - they're the next queen' I insisted that they were not. Judging by the 'success' of the second album, I'd say I was right.

Qualia, I don't adhere to any particular genre. I have songs on my ipod from HIFH, Lost Prophets, Feeder, Ash, Symposium, Ocean Colour Scene, Alkaline Trio, Skunk Anansie, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Weezer, The Killers, Jimmy Eat World, Keane, Spunge, Greenday, Stereophonics, Smash Mouth, The Verve, Smashing Pumpkins, Snow Patrol, AFI, New Found Glory, Wheatus, Queen, Muse, Offspring Panic! At the Disco, Meat Loaf, Offspring, Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox 20, System of a Down, Lit, Linkin Park, James, The Jam, The Rolling Stones, Idlewild, Hunters and Collectors, Hundred Reasons, Guns n' Roses, Good Charlottle, Finch, Foo Fighters, The Calling, Cycle Fly, Embrace, Bloc Party, Blink 182, Sum 41, Bon Jovi, Arctic Monkeys, All American Rejects

Alright, I admit, I like more than 1 British Band.