This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mein Kampf

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Currently I am reading Adolf Hitler’s Mein Kampf. Hitler’s observations about reading struck me as very insightful. He criticises people who claim to be well-read, because, in fact, through the course of their reading they have merely amassed and carry about with them an enormous ‘”ballast” of random facts without making any attempt to think about or organise those facts (he says that if assimilated correctly, the facts should fit together rather like pieces of a mosaic), to distinguish between the useful and the useless, and to then dispose of the rubbish.

There are two things that struck me about this, the first being that throughout my life, being insightful and an able thinker are not qualities I have been taught to associate with Hitler. Quite the opposite. Secondly, insightfulness and able thinking are not qualities I find much in evidence in any area of modern life and that includes the academic world where a strong preference for running on memory only is very evident.

Posted

Quite the opposite. Secondly, insightfulness and able thinking are not qualities I find much in evidence in any area of modern life

Maybe you're either looking in the wrong places, aren't looking hard enough, or you're not as good as spotting able-thinking as you like to think you are. :yup:

Posted (edited)

DaveT: I refer you to my post Causes of Evil? under INFLUENCE, and specifically to my reply today to Heretic. In this, I explain what able thinking is and how to detect insight and the like.

Edited by dragon

Posted

Yes, and we all know what good Hitler's insightful reading did him, and the world.

:pumpkinsurprise:

Please get lost.

Posted (edited)

Yes, and we all know what good Hitler's insightful reading did him, and the world.

:pumpkinsurprise:

Please get lost.

I've struggled through "My Struggle." One of the most boring books I've ever dealt with... :wof:

In its essentials, Hitlers argument was the equivalent of saying that a person should only listen to Fox News; that to listen to other sources will lead to helpless confusion. That the only information one should acquire is information that fits the bias of the seeker.

In practice, although he didn't word it as I do, that was the aim of his "discovery."

If I had only known about his advice in advance, I wouldn't have bothered reading it. Of course, I disagree with the premise, so learning this aspect of how some minds work was worth it. :becky:

Dave

Edited by Chato