This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Some words of explanation

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Some Words of Explanation

I intend to contribute a lot of posts to this forum (and others) over the next wee while. I feel this needs to be said because I may not, at least to begin with, be able to reply to all comments (- always supposing a significant number of these posts do actually attract comment.)

So why contribute so many posts? Because over the past 20 or so years my understanding of the world has undergone such a radical change that I have been forced to, as it were, return to childhood and start all over again to develop that understanding, and to develop new attitudes, ideas and behaviours etc in light of this new understanding.

Furthermore, my new understanding has allowed me to understand EVERYTHING. I can look at every aspect of our world, of knowledge, culture, life, the mind, the natural world etc etc, and see cause and effect, see how it all makes sense, forms one complete picture, and one complete, purposeful story of the human race.

I dare say that seem like a rather large claim, but that is neither here nor there, and in any case, anyone who chooses to follow these posts will be able to judge the truth of the claim for themself.

So, to return to the large number of posts: as you can imagine, rethinking EVERYTHING is not the task of a few months, or even a few years. It is the task of many, many years, and is still very much an ongoing task – and the more so as it is not just a matter of “rethinking”. For example, you will never really understand, say, music, or science, or art or whatever if you do not do it yourself. You need to have the personal experience of a thing in order to really understand it. So there is as much “doing” as “thinking”.

Anyway, these posts are records of my thinking as I do it – and here I get to the reason for my posting: I do hope to get comments/arguments/discussions for the simple reason that it stimulates my thinking and helps it to move along.

You will find I do not use the structures and language, of the academic world. You may feel my arguments lack rigour. That is quite deliberate. There is a “philosophy” behind this, but I will not go into that here. Suffice it to say that, whatever you may think of the style and language, I do NOT actually seek to persuade. This is about “thinking” and not about “belief”. (If a person develops their ability to “think”, then the “beliefs” will take care of themselves.)

Finally, this exercise will last as long as I am tolerated on the forum/as long as I feel I am getting something out of it – and that may be a week, a month, a year or more.

Posted

Well, this sounds quite fantastic and incredible, but brilliant if you can pull it off. It takes a great mind and a lot of thought, effort, and patience to understand everything, and the implications of your intellect are, in a word, outstanding.

Actually, the implications are so vast that they require at least two words, so I'm going to add exciting to that brief, though inadequate description. Let's face, just think of the possibilities! With understanding comes knowledge, and with knowledge comes power. Tremendous power!

Of course, how far that takes you depends on your own ambition, but if you keep this up, then at the very least...well, just imagine! Nobody on this forum will be able to utter a single word, have a single thought, that means anything unless it coincides with the opinion of yourself! :eek3:

Posted

Suffice it to say that, whatever you may think of the style and language, I do NOT actually seek to persuade.

Disinterest in effecting persuasion can be laudable if and only if the disinterest in persuasion does not block (or effect a disinterest in) participation in discourse. Discourse need not have persuasion as a goal. Instead, such discourse seeks to put one's own perspective repeatedly to the most stringent challenges, and this means that others must be engaged charitably according to their own perspectives. To do otherwise is not so much to preach as it is to run the danger of inclining towards a totalitarian mindset at least inasmuch as all forms of totalitarian acting - including thinking - have a disinterest in (non-metaphorical) persuasion.

1 person likes this

Posted

It is also to be noted that when a speaker's disinterest in persuasion is indicative of a disinterest in discourse the speaker puts himself or herself in a position from which to accuse others while the speaker also ensures being insulated from taking notice of any accusations which others might level at the speaker. This, too, is typical of the totalitarian mindset. (Some might wish to quibble over whether totalitarian is here the most appropriate term. Some might think that what is being presented is an extreme egoism; however, inasmuch as such an extreme egoism can serve as the seed for - and has significant common features with - the totalitarian mindset, in the context of this discussion I prefer the breadth of the term totalitarian which, after all, is ultimately as disinterested in the other as is the egoist.)

2 people like this

Posted

To all: see my post "The Fabulous World of Pantodragon" in the Explore section

Power - big No, No!

Posted

To all: see my post "The Fabulous World of Pantodragon" in the Explore section

Power - big No, No!

Yes, I've seen it and responded.

Why should anyone believe that it is anything more than a fanciful story?

Posted

Best of luck with understanding everything. And may we have many lively and fruitful disputes ahead of us. :tea: If so, I promise that I, for one, will tolerate you for a while. :nod:

Posted

To all:

I made it clear in my post, or thought I did, that your beliefs are your problem. I have no interest in whether or not you believe me. A few of you have hinted at the possibility of entertainment value - run with it, that's good.