This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Apocalypse Now!

21 posts in this topic

Posted

As the title of this post suggests, I am not predicting that ‘the end is nigh unless ye repent’; I am saying that it is already too late. Death, famine, pestilence and war are already abroad (the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse) and we are IN an apocalypse. It is happening.

In another post I have talked about POWER, and how a universal addiction to that drug has been the ‘downfall’ of humanity. In the Western World, for example, it is seen as normal that babies should cry. This is not so. Babies should be learning to communicate, and should only use crying to communicate REAL distress. But babies ‘normally’ learn that they can use crying to get attention and manipulate their parents. This is babies tasting power.

If you are observant you will see it happening all the time. For example: walking past the school playground one day a ball few over the fence just in front of me, and a little girl came up and stood and looked out at me, obviously expecting me to return her ball to her. I would have done so had the episode been an accident, but as I had approached along the path I had noticed the little girl ‘noticing’ me, and had noticed her quickly pick up her ball and deliberately throw it over the fence. I did not return it and when I looked back a few moments later the girl was being hugged and consoled by a bevy of little girls over whom she obviously held sway. This is about control and manipulation. This is about power.

Everybody adores little James. He is a charming, chatty little boy. I frequently see him with his mother on the bus. He will always be talking to someone, turning in his seat to talk to the people behind, or stopping on the way off the bus and talking to the driver so that the rest of the passengers have to wait. Everyone smiles and thinks him cute. One day I happen to be behind little James on the bus. “What is that?” he asks, pointing to my umbrella. Little James knows perfectly well what it is. There follows a series of similarly inane and pointless questions, to none of which I respond. He gives it a rest and then tries again, with the same ‘disappointing’ result. He turns back to face the front again, and this time I just catch a glimpse of the expression that crosses his face: it is demonic! Really, his face contorts into such an expression of rage that it literally looks like something out of ‘The Exorcist’! So much for the cute, charming little James!

Not that I actually needed that glimpse to see what little James was about. His conversation was so very clearly not about communicating, but about getting attention. In fact, the old adage that ‘children should be seen and not heard’ is, in fact, true. Children should be interested and curious and wanting to learn about the world, and they do not do that be being the centre of attention; they do it by sitting quietly and observing. Yes, of course they play as well, but at the appropriate time and in the appropriate place. The whole world is exotic and new to a child and it will enjoy just looking and listening and learning – if it is healthy.

And if it is enjoying the taste of power it will not be just looking and listening and learning, and as a consequence, it looses the ability to observe, listen and learn – and hence science comes along to make up the deficiency.

And that, basically, is how to understand our history: we live in the ‘best of all possible worlds’, so that, with humanity on the decline, as it looses more and more of its faculties, the loss is made up by the ‘invention’ of institutions and the like.

So when, due to their addiction to power, people loose the ability and desire to ‘like’ or value things, then money is invented and then everything has a ‘price’, and that is something that power addicts can use.

When people became incapable of being fully independent, ie fully able to understand the world and people without any outside help, then religions came along to give them rules to live by and the support of others who believed the same things as themselves.

But whereas the religions used metaphor and myth to explain and account for the world, when people lost the ability to handle metaphor, and could only deal with symbols, and became very ‘literal’ in their interpretation of the world around them, then science came along.

Science looks after the autistic mind. It offers the support of authority, like a parent, of shared perceptions, offers the security of predictability, and of rules and order. And, of course, it sees the world in very literal terms. It also puts ‘knowledge’ above ‘ability’ and ‘understanding’, and, well, ‘knowledge is power’! Yes, power addicts have no interest in understanding things, but the certainly see lots of value in ‘knowledge’.

As for technology, to quote (approximately) from ‘Harry Potter’: it’s marvellous the things people invent to get by without magic! The implication is the same as I have been making above: that technology is just making up for increasing deficiencies of the human mind, bolstering it, providing a crutch.

But the decline continues, and so you go from walking stick, to crutches to wheel chairs --- and what then?

If you think of autism as essentially the place into which the minds of people are descending, and think about what that means in terms of loss of awareness, and loss of abilities, and of what suits the minds of people who are severely autistic, as opposed to those who are less so, then look at the history of human culture, you will find that it is interpretable in the terms I have suggested above: ie the more modern developments are, the more they support the needs of minds that are further gone into autism.

Posted

As the title of this post suggests, I am not predicting that ‘the end is nigh unless ye repent’; I am saying that it is already too late. Death, famine, pestilence and war are already abroad (the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse) and we are IN an apocalypse. It is happening.

This of course could be said about any time frame after the creation of organized civilization

In another post I have talked about POWER, and how a universal addiction to that drug has been the ‘downfall’ of humanity. In the Western World, for example, it is seen as normal that babies should cry. This is not so. Babies should be learning to communicate, and should only use crying to communicate REAL distress. But babies ‘normally’ learn that they can use crying to get attention and manipulate their parents. This is babies tasting power.

Misery is relative. Babies cry when they are "miserable." It IS for the purpose of gaining attention. Which is why it's a part of the evolution of conscious animals. A baby crying serves the same purpose as that of a puppy crying. The result is reinforced by the response of the adults - whether the adult is a human of dog.

If you are observant you will see it happening all the time. For example: walking past the school playground one day a ball few over the fence just in front of me, and a little girl came up and stood and looked out at me, obviously expecting me to return her ball to her. I would have done so had the episode been an accident, but as I had approached along the path I had noticed the little girl ‘noticing’ me, and had noticed her quickly pick up her ball and deliberately throw it over the fence. I did not return it and when I looked back a few moments later the girl was being hugged and consoled by a bevy of little girls over whom she obviously held sway. This is about control and manipulation. This is about power.

Everybody adores little James. He is a charming, chatty little boy. I frequently see him with his mother on the bus. He will always be talking to someone, turning in his seat to talk to the people behind, or stopping on the way off the bus and talking to the driver so that the rest of the passengers have to wait. Everyone smiles and thinks him cute. One day I happen to be behind little James on the bus. “What is that?” he asks, pointing to my umbrella. Little James knows perfectly well what it is. There follows a series of similarly inane and pointless questions, to none of which I respond. He gives it a rest and then tries again, with the same ‘disappointing’ result. He turns back to face the front again, and this time I just catch a glimpse of the expression that crosses his face: it is demonic! Really, his face contorts into such an expression of rage that it literally looks like something out of ‘The Exorcist’! So much for the cute, charming little James!

Not that I actually needed that glimpse to see what little James was about. His conversation was so very clearly not about communicating, but about getting attention. In fact, the old adage that ‘children should be seen and not heard’ is, in fact, true. Children should be interested and curious and wanting to learn about the world, and they do not do that be being the centre of attention; they do it by sitting quietly and observing. Yes, of course they play as well, but at the appropriate time and in the appropriate place. The whole world is exotic and new to a child and it will enjoy just looking and listening and learning – if it is healthy.

These are apocryphal stories. Both true, and meaningless. Children have attempted to manipulate their parents since time immemorial. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not. When I was seven, and got sick, my Mother kept me home from school. Having learned that "lesson" I faked being sick. My Mother knew I was faking, and let me stay home - She also made me stay in bed...

Some parents no doubt are "fooled" by their children. We call the results a "spoiled child." There have been spoiled children in every society that ever existed.

I learned my lesson just as human children have learned their lesson since the birth of our species... :)

And if it is enjoying the taste of power it will not be just looking and listening and learning, and as a consequence, it looses the ability to observe, listen and learn – and hence science comes along to make up the deficiency.

And that, basically, is how to understand our history: we live in the ‘best of all possible worlds’, so that, with humanity on the decline, as it looses more and more of its faculties, the loss is made up by the ‘invention’ of institutions and the like.

So when, due to their addiction to power, people loose the ability and desire to ‘like’ or value things, then money is invented and then everything has a ‘price’, and that is something that power addicts can use.

When people became incapable of being fully independent, ie fully able to understand the world and people without any outside help, then religions came along to give them rules to live by and the support of others who believed the same things as themselves.

But whereas the religions used metaphor and myth to explain and account for the world, when people lost the ability to handle metaphor, and could only deal with symbols, and became very ‘literal’ in their interpretation of the world around them, then science came along.

Science looks after the autistic mind. It offers the support of authority, like a parent, of shared perceptions, offers the security of predictability, and of rules and order. And, of course, it sees the world in very literal terms. It also puts ‘knowledge’ above ‘ability’ and ‘understanding’, and, well, ‘knowledge is power’! Yes, power addicts have no interest in understanding things, but the certainly see lots of value in ‘knowledge’.

As for technology, to quote (approximately) from ‘Harry Potter’: it’s marvellous the things people invent to get by without magic! The implication is the same as I have been making above: that technology is just making up for increasing deficiencies of the human mind, bolstering it, providing a crutch.

But the decline continues, and so you go from walking stick, to crutches to wheel chairs --- and what then?

If you think of autism as essentially the place into which the minds of people are descending, and think about what that means in terms of loss of awareness, and loss of abilities, and of what suits the minds of people who are severely autistic, as opposed to those who are less so, then look at the history of human culture, you will find that it is interpretable in the terms I have suggested above: ie the more modern developments are, the more they support the needs of minds that are further gone into autism.

Some societies other than Western ones have historically treated little children in a manner that those of the West would consider spoiling them. Whatever is wrong with the modern world, it's not the above description of children learning how to "abuse" power.

When I was about five I scrapped my knee. To the eyes of this five year old it was a serious injury. I cried my little ass off. And I cried because I was in fear and terror of the "serious injury." It Was a bad scrap, but of course it it happened now, it would be something to wash out and shrug over. Was I crying because of a lust for power :becky:

As I said, misery is relative, and what is "nothing" today, was a serious matter. I had never experienced such pain, I had never seen so much blood. It's part of the learning experience.

My dog died two weeks ago, and I cried like a baby. Was I too seeking "power?"

Dave

1 person likes this

Posted

Dave

Chato died? I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences.

1 person likes this

Posted

:rip: Chato. :sadcheer:

Posted

In fact, the old adage that ‘children should be seen and not heard’ is, in fact, true. Children should be interested and curious and wanting to learn about the world, and they do not do that be being the centre of attention; they do it by sitting quietly and observing. Yes, of course they play as well, but at the appropriate time and in the appropriate place. The whole world is exotic and new to a child and it will enjoy just looking and listening and learning – if it is healthy.

Do you have anything with which to back up this hypothesis? I posit that the idea that children learn best by being quiet and ignored is false. In my own experience as a judo coach, children, especially young ones, have a tendency to learn best when at play. If play is not possible or desirable, then the lesson, IMVHO, should still be fun, or at least interesting, and appropriately challenging. Too much challenge, and the child becomes frustrated, and loses motivation; too little challenge, and the simplistic task bores the child, and s/he loses motivation.

Besides making the activity enjoyable and challenging (but not too much), one can get good results by making it interactive. This not only makes it more interesting to the children, but helps the educator determine if what they are teaching is making sense to the students.

In brief, children (and adults) learn best when they enjoy the experience. The notion that children should be seen and not heard, and are best being quiet and ignored is complete nonsense, utter poppycock, and total bullshit.

2 people like this

Posted

Just to say, sorry about Chato. :(

-Scott

Posted

Just to say, sorry about Chato. :(

-Scott

Thank you Michael and Scotty. Best dog I ever owned, and I've owned many.

Dave

Posted

Children should be interested and curious and wanting to learn about the world, and they do not do that be being the centre of attention; they do it by sitting quietly and observing.

Any evidence to back up this claim, or are you just in a sour mood because a girl in a playground and little James annoyed you recently?

Posted

Sorry about Chato, too. :(

Posted

Sorry about Chato, too. :(

Much appreciated. This is the last picture I took of Chato, about two weeks before he died. For a giant dog, he managed to reach the age of 14. Ironically, the image was taken with my companies cheap cell phone.

Last_Chato_Pic2.jpg

As an amusing side note to this discussion.

When I was a kid, and we played in the Street, we had a sort of adult ogre as a neighbor. Periodically he would rush out and demand that we leave the neighborhood.

Many years later, while visiting my parents, I watched some of the kids in the neighborhood playing in the Street, when the local ogre came rushing out. And I'll never forget his words. "Haven't I told you kids for years not to play in the Street?"

Apparently he was unaware that kids actually grow up. That the kids he was yelling at today, were not the kids he yelled at 15 years ago.

He had stored away in his conciousness the concept that kids lived only to annoy him - That one eight or ten year old was interchangable with any other eight or ten year old.

And no doubt he stored away in memory, every remark or incident where one kid or another dissed him - And all kids dissed him.

Weird.

Dave

3 people like this

Posted

Dave

Yes. And the way it works is demonstrated very nicely by what has happened on this thread. The dead dog has taken over the thread and you are now getting all the sympathy and all the attention. This is emotional manipulation.

By and large, the Christians popularised this one and it is probably the favourite method of exercising power in our modern society. You have shown as clearly as it is possible to do so that you are a power addict.

I am sure you cried buckets, but what you felt is another matter.

If you felt a small fraction of what you say you felt then you are a very sick person indeed. May I refer you to Jane Austin's novel Sense and Sensibility, and may I suggest you read it and learn the lesson.

You said: "This of course could be said about any time frame after the creation of organized civilization"

I would agree because the creation of what I assume you mean by orgainised civilisation is the product of power addicts.

You said: A baby crying serves the same purpose as that of a puppy crying

No, it does not. The price of your power addiction is to have lost awareness of what one might call the "spirit world". Every action is done in a certain spirit. One might say there is an "intention" behind every action. The intention of human babies is to manipulate their parents. The spirit of puppies is quite different, is innocent, is to establish meaningful communication.

You said: I had never experienced such pain

Well, you've no one but yourself to blame. One of the prices you pay for excessive emotionalism is that you sensitise yourself such that even a tiny pinprick is experienced as a stab-wound from a knife. I refer you to the fairy tale The Princess and the Pea. You have to understand that this story is describing what happens to people who behave like royalty i.e. who like to command attention, who like to be the centre of attention - who expect to be treated, in fact, like royalty and use all sorts of emotional manipulation of other people to get what they want.

Posted

DaveT:

You are clearly used to teaching little power addicts. To learn is to live. To play is to live. Normal and healthy is to want to live. Sick is to require to be motivated. You don't see the sparrows that populate gardens having to be kicked out of bed, having to be amused, by their parents so that they will learn to whistle.

Posted

Dave

Yes. And the way it works is demonstrated very nicely by what has happened on this thread. The dead dog has taken over the thread and you are now getting all the sympathy and all the attention. This is emotional manipulation.

By and large, the Christians popularised this one and it is probably the favourite method of exercising power in our modern society. You have shown as clearly as it is possible to do so that you are a power addict.

If you felt a small fraction of what you say you felt then you are a very sick person indeed. May I refer you to Jane Austin's novel Sense and Sensibility, and may I suggest you read it and learn the lesson.

You said: "This of course could be said about any time frame after the creation of organized civilization"

I would agree because the creation of what I assume you mean by orgainised civilisation is the product of power addicts.

No, it does not. The price of your power addiction is to have lost awareness of what one might call the "spirit world". Every action is done in a certain spirit. One might say there is an "intention" behind every action. The intention of human babies is to manipulate their parents. The spirit of puppies is quite different, is innocent, is to establish meaningful communication.

Well, you've no one but yourself to blame. One of the prices you pay for excessive emotionalism is that you sensitise yourself such that even a tiny pinprick is experienced as a stab-wound from a knife. I refer you to the fairy tale The Princess and the Pea. You have to understand that this story is describing what happens to people who behave like royalty i.e. who like to command attention, who like to be the centre of attention - who expect to be treated, in fact, like royalty and use all sorts of emotional manipulation of other people to get what they want.

Or maybe, like any decent person, the man loved his dog, and was very upset when the poor creature died. If you cannot understand why Dave (AKA Chato) would seek sympathy and condolences, or why he'd feel mortified by the death of Chato the dog, then your time away from society and seek enlightenment has done nothing but make you ignorant to human thought and feeling. You speak about human psychology as though you were on expert on it, yet all you have to offer us are your risible assertions that seem based in neither experience nor study.

Posted

Any evidence to back up this claim, or are you just in a sour mood because a girl in a playground and little James annoyed you recently?

I gave a couple of examples. I could give endless examples. There are also other ways of knowing what is going on, however when you ask for evidence, you are asking me to prove myself. I do not need to prove myself to anyone but myself. And I have done that. Refer to my post Some Words of Explanation for why I do not need to prove myself and why I am posting to this forum.

One of the benefits of NOT being a power addict, of being healthy, is that I DO NOT get annoyed. All that emotionalism and troublesome sensitivity to the antics of others is a not a problem for healthyn people. As one half of pantodragon WAS addicted to power, but has come off the drug, she is in a position to know.

Posted

DaveT:

You are clearly used to teaching little power addicts. To learn is to live. To play is to live. Normal and healthy is to want to live. Sick is to require to be motivated. You don't see the sparrows that populate gardens having to be kicked out of bed, having to be amused, by their parents so that they will learn to whistle.

You clearly know nothing about me, and, quite frankly, your prejudice against the children whom I teach is both inaccurate, unfair, and insulting. I have taught a variety of children and adults, and they are diverse in their physical and psychological make up. Some have/had what one may call mental irregularities, some have/had behavioural problems, and there is a considerable difference in behaviour and attitude across the board. I make the lessons enjoyable, safe, effective, and relevant, but discipline is swift and fair, and I don't give a potential trouble maker a chance to disrupt the entire lesson or distract the entire group. If any of them are power addicts, their attempts to gain power do not work with me.

It is a basic fact of human psychology that people require motivation, and a person for whom motivation is non-existent, or, worse yet, for whom demotivation is a constant, will never reach their potential. Your sparrows analogy doesn't work, because it is the nature of the sparrow to whistle. They just do it, and might not even know why. It is closer to a child smiling when they're happy or crying when they're upset than it is to getting a child to sit through a particularly boring lesson in mathematics. Let's say the child has ADHD, and getting them to sit through that lesson without giving them any motivation to do so is not only impossible, it the strategy of a terrible teacher.

Just as one cannot learn about music by blocking up their ears, one cannot learn about people by isolating oneself from them. You are living proof of that.

1 person likes this

Posted

I gave a couple of examples. I could give endless examples. There are also other ways of knowing what is going on, however when you ask for evidence, you are asking me to prove myself. I do not need to prove myself to anyone but myself. And I have done that. Refer to my post Some Words of Explanation for why I do not need to prove myself and why I am posting to this forum.

if you feel you do not need to prove yourself to others, why even spit your opinions at them? Why try to make any argument? Why preach your nonsense? Why make out that a man is sick for actually caring about his recently deceased friend?

Since there is no point in you doing any of this, I do not see why you should remain if this is all you're going to do.

Posted

Says the poster who is seeking attention by flooding this forum with his ponderous pontifications. :whatever:

Posted

One of the benefits of NOT being a power addict, of being healthy, is that I DO NOT get annoyed.

:faint:

:lol:

Posted

Dave

So, in other words, YOU want all the sympathy attention and you resent ... a dead dog for depriving you of it. But that's not emotional manipulation, eh? Because you're doing it, so it's OK! :lol:

If you felt a small fraction of what you say you felt then you are a very sick person indeed.

OK. So, according to you, a man who grieves for his dead dog, his friend of 14 years, a very beautiful dog judging from photos of it, is a very sick person indeed.

:eek3:

You are one sick puppy. So to speak.

1 person likes this

Posted

Attention all:

r600x600.jpg

Posted

Dave

This is a very interesting post. I note that you've seen through my game. Pinpointed with shocking clarity the hypocrisy of my arguement, and nailed me.

Oddly enough, (not being to bright) I still fail to see the difference between a puppy crying and a baby crying. I still fail to see how a six year old reacting to the "worst pain of their lives" by crying is an attempt to acquire power.

However, now that my little game of illiciting sympathy has been unmasked, I can kiss my recently acquired power good bye.

Sadly, I realize you are unaware of my relationship with the people on this board. Completely understandable since I haven't posted in a while.

Such is life.... :spit:

Dave

1 person likes this