This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Les Troyens

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Wait ... what? Are you kidding me?

Did I just experience that?

:shock::eek2::jaw::faint:

This will probably kill movies for me. No matter how good a movie is, I'll always be mentally comparing it with this, and the movie will not benefit from the comparison, I'm afraid. :sadcheer:

Nothing like a little mass suicide to enliven a prosaic Saturday afternoon! :heh:

Edited by davidm
1 person likes this

Posted

There's a real downside to experiencing masterworks of art, which is that after the experience is over, you're stuck back in the prosaic real world, full of people with their banal and petty preoccupations. It's like walking out of Wonderland and returning to Dumbville.

Posted

I take it you went to see this opera earlier today. You should enter chat and tell whoever else enters about it in more detail. :yup:

Posted

I'll be on a bit later, I need to do some of my own book editing at the moment.

Posted

Actually, Dave, i think I'll be on tomorrow to discuss it. I'm hitting the :sleep: zone here after five hours of sleep last night and this magnificent production that is currently swirling around in my head like an acid flashback. I'd also like to discuss it in thread; I know Null and maddog saw it today, too, so I hope they will contribute their impressions

Just ... wow. What brilliance! What art! Every particle of this production was imbued with art. Being a visual artist, I also paid a lot of attention to the visuals of the production, and boy, were they impressive.

Zounds! A tremendous experience.

Posted

Well, when you're next in, I've added 1,372 words to Sandal, so we can discuss that, too.

Posted (edited)

I am not particularly knowledgeable about opera, but I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed the performance.

I especially appreciated the commentaries and behind-the-scenes looks before the performance and during the intermissions, because the people they speak to ARE knowledgeable and enhance the experience for those of us who are not in the know. I think it's quite tragic that Berlioz himself never got to see a full production of the opera (one of the tidbits they told us in the intro), although he undoubtedly experienced it internally, or how would he have been able to write it? To have that scope of imagination is genius.

I enjoyed the story, not having read the Aeneid myself, and being familiar only with the bare bones of its plot.

Another thing I liked about this particular production was the sets, which are once again innovative, creative, evocative, and almost a character in their own right, though perhaps not quite to the extent that the Ring sets were. That's the benefit of a top opera company; it can afford to do the elaborate mechanical designing to create such stunning sets.

The production was long, and took over 5 hours to perform from beginning to end, but it was not tiresome. I even enjoyed the sideward glances, such as the aria of the fellow who sang in praise of the fields. It's a way to showcase the music and the dancing. I liked that it had quite a bit of dancing in it; I can appreciate the dance forms even though I don't "get it" personally.

I was very impressed by the duets in particular, because the complexities of having two people sing two different things and have it be harmonious is just stunning. If I could have created one of the duets, I would feel like my career had been fulfilled. to have created an entire additional opera is simply beyond belief. the initial duet between Chorebus and Cassandra was very beautiful, but I think the sisters, Dido and Anna, were the best. I can't really tell you why I liked that one so much, maybe it was just the quality of the voices.

All I have at the moment ... just brain droppings as it were.

Edited by maddog
1 person likes this