This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tested for Children by Children

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I have noticed in my local library that some children’s books, advertised as Dyslexia Friendly, also advertise themselves as having been tested by children.

This attitude to children is very common these days i.e. children are given responsibilities and required to make judgments that ought, in a healthy society, to be the sole responsibility of adults. Publishers are at it, schools are at it….the list is endless. This is extremely bad news.

In a healthy society, children learn by being apprenticed to adults. (This is how young animals learn, after all.) To burden children with the responsibilities of adults is to cause them severe psychological damage. This is child abuse. And it is not just a few “dirty old men” that are at it - every adult in our society is at it.

Posted

I have an interesting anecdote that relates to this topic. As I judo coach, I must regularly attend child protection courses. In a case study, a coach had an idea for what he felt was a new and fun way of teaching a particular technique. He got his class of children (aged 7 to 12), and tried out this new method with them. After the lesson, he asked the parents of the children to discuss the lesson with their children, and try to find out (without direct questions, which are known to produce dishonesty in some children) whether or not they enjoyed the lesson, and whether or not they learnt the technique to an acceptable standard, given their grades and levels of ability.

The coach decided that if the feedback was mostly positive, he'd start using the same method with his other groups of junior students; if, however, feedback was negative, he would abandon the method and go back to what he was already using, or maybe develop something else instead. IOW, he conducted a lesson for children that was tested by children.

Both the instructor on the child-protection course, and the accompanying handbook made it absolutely clear that what this coach did was child abuse of near-irreparable damage should it continue unchecked.

Posted

You seem to be confused. It was the parents who assessed the lesson, through observation and listening to what their children said about it afterwards.

Posted

Yes, in the way a parent may say. "So, how was school?" and take the conversation from there.

Posted

What we have learned from this thread is that if I say to a child, "How are you feeling today? Did you enjoy the lesson?" that is a form of child abuse, and continuation of such will damage the child for life. :muahaha:

Posted (edited)

Well, let's sum up what we have learned from dragon: the universe is a video game, when people were smarter we had Hitler and Stalin in power, children are annoying little power addicts and should be seen and not heard, technology is for dummies and blah blah blah. Oh, and Mein Kampf is quite a book.

Oh, I almost forgot: if your dog dies and you are sad, this makes you a very sick person.

Have we touched all bases?

ETA: Oh, wait, I did for forget something: trying to get attention makes one a power addict. What does that make dragon?

:derp:

Edited by davidm