This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Scotty help sought!

Question

Posted (edited)

I got this popup alert from something called "Mackeeper" demanding that I click "yes" to clean my Mac. It gave me no option to click no, and I had to force quit Safari five or six times and restart the puter twice before the popup box demanding my participation finally went away. I feel certain this is some sort of Malware thing. How can I prevent this from happening? Bear in mind I recently updated my software. It also had some odd language like, "hey wait! You don't want to go away, do you?"

:shakehead:

Edited by davidm

4 answers to this question

Posted

Are you sure it wasn't MacDefender?

Posted

There is a MacDefender too, but MacKeeper is extremely annoying.

Here is some help in case in actually installed itself, but you did the right thing http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/

One thing you can do, and I do this as I hate the feature (if you are using Safari, and Firefox can do this and it is annoying too), first thing is to go to "Safari --> Preferences" then General and set "New Windows open with:" and set that to empty page, same with new tab. In that same section, also uncheck "open safe files after download".

Then go to "Security" and make sure "Enable Java" is turned off.

One other thing you can do, but this does it for _all_ applications (and I do this as I don't like the feature much) is go to:

System Preferences --> General (the top left icon!)

Look for "Close Windows when Quitting an Application"

This turns off the function where it restores sessions when you open an application again. I find it useful in _some_thing but not other so I just turn it all off. This way, with MacKeeper, if you exited Safari then started it back up, it will _not_ restore your session which means if MacKeeper had a window that it re-opened it won't do it again.

-Scott

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks, Scott. Am right that Mackeeper is some sort of Malware scam? I can't believe any legitimate software offer would hijack your puter and force to you force quit and restart numerous times before its "offer" finally went away.

Posted

They are assholes, and Malware. It is the most common thing on the Mac. They (Apple) are confronting this with specific types of updates. If you can, update to 10.8 to be safest (you don't have to not sure if your machine can upgrade or not).

Anyway, the joys of having Malware. If it were a Windows machine, you wouldn't even know you were infected.

-Scott